Author Topic: NHL Offseason 2014  (Read 9872 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
NHL Offseason 2014
« on: June 23, 2014, 04:13 PM »
Draft coming up this week.  Free agency looming.  Should be a fun couple of weeks before we hit the dark summer months.  Random off-season thoughts...

-  wondering how long it will take before Jesse's Pens get down to interviewing him or me for head coach since they seem to be interviewing just about anyone these days.  Must suck knowing the best guy for the job out there is the guy they just fired.  Also must suck seeing "your guy" opt for Carolina or Vancouver instead... though those jobs probably come with a lot less media attention.

- wondering where the Wild will ultimately end up.  So many things were rumored all year long (Vanek, Vanek, Vanek!) and now... not so much.  Re-signing Moulson was a lock until the playoffs and now people have cooled on wanting him too.  Might be one of those summers where there's a lot of talk, but ultimately they go with the youth movement and hope for improvement from last year.

- Hall of Fame.  Nice to see them finally let Pat Burns in there.  No surprise on Modano, Hasek, and Forsberg.  Bit surprised they made Recchi wait though but I suppose you can't have everyone at once.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: NHL Offseason 2014
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 06:00 PM »
Will be interesting to see what the Rangers do.  They bought out Richards' contract to free up money... I guess that was coming since rumors were going last season (which he had a poor year), but he turned it around this year.  Sad to see him go, but will see if they get anyone(s) interesting out of it.  I think there are some re-signs possible, but we'll see. Sather has dismantled most of the team that was there when I was living in NYC in 3 years time.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 08:39 PM »
Changes needed made so I'm not against the Bylsma firing...  Pens are soft and it showed.  I'm an Ulf man and I think he will be it.  I am glad all the names that came and went did so.  They were dismal choices.  Ulf was an idol of mine growing up and when I first played I was a D-man and strived to play a shadow game like his...  It didn't hurt that I couldn't score to save my life so F'ing up others from scoring helped. :)

So Ulfie is my guy.  Gritty and he understands the game so much more than people realize I think.  He wouldn't be Sid or Genos buddy, nor would he be a pushover for them.  Plus I could easily see Tocchet brought in as an assistant and man, that'd be another injection of the tough love they maybe need.

I've not liked much of anyone brought up for coach though.  People who've done nothing or have no real experience...  Babcock comes up but doesn't seem likely...  I'm not real happy with the GM choice tho and feel like he has to prove himself.  Shero has the team in a weird place though that's you can't pin on the new guy obciously.

Jeff If they ask me I want you for assistant.  3 year deal!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 08:43 PM »
Oh btw you should expect Niskanen in a Wild jersey soon.  :'(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 10:05 AM »
Jeff If they ask me I want you for assistant.  3 year deal!

Sweet!  I will start drawing up PPs right now...  all Geno shooting, all the time!

Pointed out to me today - Penguins wanted a Willie or Peters as head coach, now interviewing a Johnson.  I think someone named Dick might get interviewed next...  better tell Ulf to change his last name to Samuelshlong if he wants the job.

Oh btw you should expect Niskanen in a Wild jersey soon.  :'(

Suter-Spurgeon
Scandella-Niskanen
Brodin-Folin

Yes please. :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 10:09 AM by Jeff »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 03:07 PM »
The "Dick" is me.  That's just a name they all call me for some reason but yeah that's my interview slot.  Don't know why they're always saying "we need that dick in here".

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 03:25 PM »

I've not liked much of anyone brought up for coach though.  People who've done nothing or have no real experience... 

Mike Johnston?

Loving it?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 03:38 PM »
So Callahan is staying with the Lightning.  I figured they'd given up St. Louis for a late season rental and the picks, so that was nice to hear.  I know this doesn't matter to anyone other than me and people in Florida - but I'm happy about it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:57 PM by Rob »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 07:26 PM »
More loving he picked Tocchet up as an assistant...  Bummed to see Grannato go though.  Johnston seems to work well with offensively gifted clubs but that concerns me because D responsibility hasn't been the Pens strong point.  Probably scares Fleury a bit too.  He tends to take D lapse blame from the yinzers.

I still would've preferred Ulf but I'm willing to see what Johnston can do.  Sounds like he won't be everyone's buddy anyway.  That was seemingly Bylsma's second biggest downfall.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 1, 2014, 01:14 AM »
Is it too soon to fire on general manager?  At least the Pens lost theirs.

I'm predicting bottom five finish for next year.  Division is too tough and unlike Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton, we have no fellow patsies to play against.  I'm really not sure we're better than Calgary and Edmonton.  Florida, Isles, Canes could all finish ahead of us.  Only Buffalo seems a clearly worse team as they'll have trouble making the cap floor. 

Jeez, Chris Thorburn for three years?  Ugh.  No buyout of the 46th ranked goalie? 

We better get McDavid or Eichel. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: July 1, 2014, 02:58 AM »
Plenty wanted Rutherford gone during the press conference for his hiring...   :-\

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: July 1, 2014, 11:34 AM »
Watching the arms race of the Central is going to be crazy today...  Nashville has added Neal, sounds like Dallas is hot after Spezza, Stasny is either staying in Colorado or heading to Chi/STL.  We're hot after Vanek/Iginla.  Everyone's getting better... except for the Jets (as already alluded to by my esteemed canuckle friend above).

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 1, 2014, 01:18 PM »
Stasny is either staying in Colorado or heading to Chi/STL. 

Stasny's in the Gateway City now.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: July 1, 2014, 01:52 PM »
The East is wildly overpaying...  It is comical.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 1, 2014, 11:18 PM »
Yeah, Chicago has been signing short deals with some of their 3rd and 4th liners (e.g., Regin), or moving others to clear $ (e.g., Bolig).  I seriously think that they are more focused on trying to work out the Toews and Kane deals than courting anyone else.  But I'm by no means following this close enough to know if that's the strategy or not...

Was happy to see Keith end up as the Norris winner again this year.  Had a great regular season.  Thankfully they don't take the play-offs into account because I thought he faltered at times against the Wild and had a terrible series against the Kings.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!