Author Topic: NHL 2014-15  (Read 49018 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NHL 2014-15
« Reply #75 on: April 8, 2015, 01:02 AM »
Remember last year's Rangers/Pens series where Staal did basically the same crosscheck?

Yeah, nothing...  Not even 2 minutes.  The precedent to do nothing is there, for sure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 8, 2015, 09:48 AM »
How about that "Slashing" call that robbed the Blues a goal.  Seriously?  Guy just can't hold onto his stick.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 8, 2015, 06:13 PM »
How about that "Slashing" call that robbed the Blues a goal.  Seriously?  Guy just can't hold onto his stick.

Sigh. 

Rule 61.1 reads, in part:

... Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an opponent’s body, the opponent’s stick, or on or near the opponent’s hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play the puck, shall be penalized as slashing

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2014-2015-rulebook.pdf

Note the bolded part.  He played the stick, not the puck.  Jets have been called a ton on it this year.  Defensive player is reaching for the puck, offensive player hacks his stick downward in an attempt to knock the stick down.  It's a penalty, each and every time.  Sorry you and the rest of the Blues fans are unaware of the rules.   ::)

And if you think it's just me, Kerry Fraser agrees.  http://www.tsn.ca/c-mon-ref-disallowing-stastny-s-goal-was-correct-call-1.251083
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 8, 2015, 07:03 PM »
Yeah and it's a Canadian source.  Just like StL reporters say it's BS.  So, with that logic of not playing the puck then the defender that raises the stick during offensive play is also guilty.

But hey, I'm a Rangers fan.  Great year so far. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 8, 2015, 09:47 PM »
Yeah and it's a Canadian source.  Just like StL reporters say it's BS.  So, with that logic of not playing the puck then the defender that raises the stick during offensive play is also guilty.

But hey, I'm a Rangers fan.  Great year so far.

LOL.

First, you're a Rangers fan, congrats.  Sorry for lumping you in with the Blues fans.

But seriously, your argument is it's a Canadian source?  Sorry, should I be verifying it on that vast American hockey network ESPN?  Besides, TSN, the Toronto sports network as it is colloquially known has no great love for the Jets. 

All that aside, Kerry Fraser?  30 year NHL referee?  Reffed in thirteen Stanley Cup finals?  Voted by the players as the fairest referee?  Yeah, he's a Canadian on a Canadian site, what could he possibly know?  Easy to brush aside. 

All that aside I guess we always could have actually looked at rule 61.1 and read:
Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an opponent’s body, the opponent’s stick, or on or near the opponent’s hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play the puck, shall be penalized as slashing.

It's a downward motion, hence the 'chop' in the rule or the name of the infraction - slashing.  Lifting a stick does not fit remotely into "that logic".  You don't chop up, you don't slash up.  Upward infractions get covered under high sticking.  But that's probably a Canadian thing too.  Should I pull out the stupid "American's don't know hockey" argument now and be equally condescending?  :-*  Cuz no way could American's, especially those based in St. Louis possibly be biased in a game they lost that they thought was going to be a cake walk. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #80 on: April 8, 2015, 11:22 PM »
Just like StL reporters say it's BS.

Hitch says the call on Stastny was correct. "It's a penalty," he said

Oh, but Hitchcock's a Canadian too. ;)

Kerry Fraser knows his stuff, no argument from me on that.  I agree it was a textbook slash... problem is that a slash like that is not called with any consistency, especially in a tight game.  Kinda ballsy to call it there knowing it will wave off a goal, but it was a slash on Myers... maybe Myers sold it a bit by dropping his stick, but then that's embellishment and you still disallow the goal.

75% of the time, a slash like that doesn't get called... but it's still a textbook slash.  Kinda like travelling in the NBA, I guess. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 8, 2015, 11:44 PM »
Should I pull out the stupid "American's don't know hockey" argument now and be equally condescending?  :-*  Cuz no way could American's, especially those based in St. Louis possibly be biased in a game they lost that they thought was going to be a cake walk.

No, you can't.  You should know we Americans invented the sport and everything in the world.  ;) ;D

But, to be honest, I'm relatively new to being a hockey fan.  I lived in MN for years, watched the Wild and wasn't very impressed.  Go to NY and see the Rangers play and it felt like a pro team (than the collegiate feel the Wild had at the time).  So, I'm still learning rules.

I sure hope Kerry Fraser didn't ref the last Cup Finals.  Man, there were some bad calls (or no-calls) that shifted momentum in a couple games that might have changed the results.  Goalie interference is one penalty that seems rarely consistent in games I've watched.

Anyway, you guys can educate me, and I appreciate it.

Traveling in the NBA: do they even call that anymore?  I gave up watching basketball years ago when it became an individual sport with 4 other guys on the court.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2015, 09:41 AM »
Congrats to my frozen buddy up in the 'peg. 

Who knew the infamous, big bad LA Kings would poop the bed in back-to-back games against Edmonton and Calgary when it mattered most?  Was not expecting that at all... very nice of them to give you guys and Calgary a turn in the playoffs instead.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2015, 03:49 PM »
No, you can't.  You should know we Americans invented the sport and everything in the world.  ;) ;D

But, to be honest, I'm relatively new to being a hockey fan.  I lived in MN for years, watched the Wild and wasn't very impressed.  Go to NY and see the Rangers play and it felt like a pro team (than the collegiate feel the Wild had at the time).  So, I'm still learning rules.

I sure hope Kerry Fraser didn't ref the last Cup Finals.  Man, there were some bad calls (or no-calls) that shifted momentum in a couple games that might have changed the results.  Goalie interference is one penalty that seems rarely consistent in games I've watched.

Anyway, you guys can educate me, and I appreciate it.

Traveling in the NBA: do they even call that anymore?  I gave up watching basketball years ago when it became an individual sport with 4 other guys on the court.

Kerry Fraser has been retired for a couple of years, so nope on last year.

And thanks for the civility, it spared me posting the last NHL power rankings by TSN that had Minnesota first and the Rangers second.  Providing that would have been painful. 

Either way, kind of overwhelmingly surprised and very, very happy today for some strange reason.   :-X ;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2015, 05:18 PM »
The only thing you need to know, Steve, is Fraser has amazing hair.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2015, 11:02 PM »
I'll have to check that out.

As for the Wild last year.  I wouldn't know the stats.  I'm sure the team in '04 is different than it was when I saw them.  I enjoyed watching them but was frustrated by horrible passing. 

I'm in NYC for a visit and had looked at going to the Rangers game vs Ottawa.  Glad I saved the money. Fans are happy with the loss since it took out some good teams.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2015, 10:47 AM »
I'll go...

Habs (5)
Bolts (5)
Rangers (6)
Islanders (7)

Wild (6)
BHawks (5)
Jets (7)
Canucks (6)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2015, 12:52 PM »
The only thing you need to know, Steve, is Fraser has amazing hair.

Had to check that out.  ;D

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2015, 07:49 PM »
Holy **** was that a crazy turn of events last night in the Blackhawks game.  You go down 3-0 after 1, you pull your starting goalie, you tie the game in the 2nd, your backup goalie pitches a shutout on 42 shots, and you win in 2OT.  It would appear that the Heart Attack Hawks are back at it again.

I'm not sure I agree with naming Crawford the starter for tomorrow's game, but at least the fans know that Darling can come in and hold his own if need be.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2015, 08:45 PM »
Yes, yes - continue to beat the heck out of each other with marathon 2OT games each night, that'd be great thanks.