Author Topic: NHL 2014-15  (Read 49330 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: NHL 2014-15
« Reply #120 on: May 8, 2015, 10:42 AM »
Well, that sucked.

I don't even know what to make of this year.  If you would have told me in October, we'd end the year getting swept in the second round, I'd have been super disappointed.

But then this happened....

Well, it looks like the goaltending is doing everything it can to torpedo my favorite team.  :-\

...Wondering how much worse it will get before they get back on track...  at this point, we may have already dug ourselves a hole so big that we won't be able to get out. 

And man, did it get worse from that point.  Yeo rants, getting whipped 7-1 a couple times, Ugh.  The way we bottomed out in mid-January, it was a small miracle to even make the playoffs, let alone beat St. Louis and make it to the second round.  So in that sense, ending where we did is pretty amazing.

I guess I end the year bittersweet.  Happy to have made it as far as we did, happy to have had an amazing 3+ month run with #Duuuuubs, happy to matter at the end.  Happy.  But...

Sad that the year is over too soon once again at the hands of the frakking Blackhawks.  Sad that we sputtered out these last four games.  Sad that our core (minus Parise - he never quits) let us down.  Sad that we never sucked so bad we got to draft a Toews/Kane.  Sad.   

2014-2015 Wild.  Bittersweet.  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 8, 2015, 06:15 PM »
Sorry about the Wild, Jeff.  I wish it would have been a more competitive series for you, rather than a sweep.  Ugh.  It's hard for me to choose a team in the West when the Blues/Wild/Hawks are playing each other. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 9, 2015, 10:44 PM »
Dear Lightning, please get your **** together.   >:(

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 12, 2015, 10:13 PM »
Because I can't help myself. .....

And the greatest trophy in the world once again stays in the only country that can support it's sport.

How funny would it be if Tampa Bay had two cups since the last time Canada had won?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 10:15 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 12, 2015, 11:34 PM »
A Chicago / Tampa Bay final would make me so happy.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2015, 12:25 PM »
I think Ovechkin's legacy is on the line tonight. Go Washington!
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2015, 09:58 AM »

I guess he failed to back-up his guarantee last night.  I missed the game as I was at a concert so I'll have to watch the 'tape' later.

Picks for the Finals:  Rangers v. Blackhawks

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2015, 10:12 AM »
This time, I'll go...

Habs (6)
Caps (6)
Wild (7)
Ducks (5)

Yeah...  at least I got the Ducks right.  :-[

Up next...

Blackhawks (6)
Lightning (6)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 10:13 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 14, 2015, 11:36 AM »
Up next...

Blackhawks (6)
Lightning (6)

I hope you're more right this time than you were last round.  This is my hockey dream come true.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 03:13 PM by Rob »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2015, 02:30 PM »

I guess he failed to back-up his guarantee last night.  I missed the game as I was at a concert so I'll have to watch the 'tape' later.

Picks for the Finals:  Rangers v. Blackhawks

Meh, he scored, so he's off the hook. Even the NBC Analyst gave him props. For a change, Caps fans can't really put the blame on him, or Holtby, in this series. Just too much possession time for the Rangers.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 14, 2015, 03:36 PM »

Meh, he scored, so he's off the hook.

Yeah, you can't blame him.  I only posted the previous without seeing the game... and I didn't mean that as a dis.  In the end, who can blame him for making a statement.  He's the captain and he's just rallying up his 'troops'.  Just like when he said "All series long" to Lundquist... and he and the Caps did deliver on that promise. 

The Caps and Rangers are always a good series, but the sucky thing is that they have to face each other along the way and only one can move on.  I've seen that the Caps are improving (Holtby has made remarkable improvement) and I feel next year could be a different scenario... or a lucky puck bounce and it's the Caps onto the finals.  Hopefully they can keep all their pieces together.  The Rangers have won (and loss) games by a single goal all playoffs long, so it shows how great the goal-keeping has been on both ends to keep the pucks out of the net.

Nick, I don't think Ovechkin's legacy is over.  He could be one of those greats that never wins the title (I hope not).  But I just think it'll come in time.  I'm not sure what the Caps need to succeed.  They seem to have all the right pieces there.  What do you think, McMetal?

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2015, 04:09 PM »
I don't think you can ever really put someone's legacy on one game. But, and I'm saying this with Ovechkin being my favorite non goalie of this generation, HE IS NOT A BIG GAME PLAYER. He has proven that many years once the playoffs role around. So to guarantee a win in the 7th game of a series you had control of and then lose doesn't help. The fact he scored their only goal helps, but overall another ding to his legacy in my opinion.

That being said, if Washington turns around and wins the cup next year, especially if he plays well, I could be singing another tune.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #132 on: May 14, 2015, 06:47 PM »
Not winning a cup will hurt his legacy, but he's also not done by any means so you move onto next year and wish.  He remarkably improved his 2-way game this year.  I think that helped him and outside opinion of him overall this year.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 15, 2015, 12:56 AM »
Ovechkin IS NOT A BIG GAME PLAYER.

That being said, if Washington turns around and wins the cup next year, especially if he plays well, I could be singing another tune.

Man, the same can be said for Rick Nash.  Both he and Alex are top scorers during the regular season and when the playoffs come around, it's crickets... at least for Nash.  It was like that last year for him... Krieder and Brassard seem to be carrying the team in the playoffs with 5 goals each with Stepan (3) doing some crucial goals.  Nash has 2, but should be more by expectation.  I think losing Zuccarello hurt the team, but you have to play with who you have and step the game up.

Just looked at the stats of Lundquist and Holtby to see how they matched up. 
Goals Against:
2nd Lundquist 1.60
3rd Holtby 1.71

Save %
Tied in second place at .944

That shows how close it is.  I still think the Caps are the Rangers' worst opponent.  It's not going to take long before the Caps get their number and beat them.

He remarkably improved his 2-way game this year.  I think that helped him and outside opinion of him overall this year.

Yeah, I remember during the Olympics last year how the commentators were bashing Alex for having a one-dimensional game... essentially sit in a spot, wait for the pass and shoot.  That his defense was lazy at times.  Maybe someone has given him the motivational talk about wanting it bad and earning it, maybe it's worked... especially if he is seeing how his team is developing and improving along with him, it'll go a long way.  And I'm glad to see that Holtby's confidence wasn't shattered by the Caps' tactics of the rotating starting goalie line-up last year (I believe).  I know the Rangers used to have their way with him a few years ago that I was surprised he was kept on.  So it's good to see a player improve his game even if it's a bit nerve-wracking when my team plays against his. 

But, if the Rangers want to take it all, they definitely need to get their scoring improved. 

Also, I respect any goalie that stands in the way of any shot of Ovechkin's.  I saw him score last year at a Blues game and man, those are bullets.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 15, 2015, 06:08 AM »
The Caps should have won the series.  Up a goal with 1:44 left in game 5 with a 3-1 series lead.  That is the demon they need to get rid of.  I don't think anyone can expect them to win two game 7's in the same year.