Author Topic: NYCC 2014  (Read 9369 times)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
NYCC 2014
« on: September 25, 2014, 11:29 AM »
I'll be attending NYCC this year, including Hasbro's 'Twas the Night Before party on Wednesday October 8th, so I thought I'd start up a thread...

The Hasbro party invite is promising "new reveals" for Star Wars - sure hope that means NEW new reveals and not just stuff they've already teased or shown in press pics.   :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: NYCC 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 11:35 AM »
My guess we'll finally see the new 6" C-3PO and Emperor, the 3-3/4" "Rancor Pit" set, maybe 2-3 of the 3-3/4" figures that were rumored a while back.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 12:05 PM »
Is it too early for an Episode VII figure preview?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 12:52 PM »
Probably.  But since Episode VII is being released in December '15 as opposed to May, it does throw off the sort of release schedule that we're used to.  IIRC the ROTS preview figures came out around late February or early March of 2005.  And then the main ROTS line started getting released about 1 month before the movie.  Given that history?  I would think that an Episode VII preview would come out around the time of SDCC 2015 or Star Wars Celebration.  The full line would probably follow some time around October 2015.

There's also JJ Abrams to consider.  He seems to have brought a much greater level of secrecy to the Episode VII production than we saw during the prequels.  And a lot of the quotes that I've seen coming from the cast have stated that they and JJ Abrams want to preserve that element of surprise with this movie.  The possibility of a preview figure(s) might fly in the face of that level of secrecy.  I get the feeling that the LFL licensing people and Hasbro would like the opportunity to cash in on preview merch, but if the ethos of secrecy is making it's way throughout the Disney/LFL organization, then I think it's likely that any preview items might be limited to characters we already know.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 01:35 PM »
The possibility of a preview figure(s) might fly in the face of that level of secrecy.  I get the feeling that the LFL licensing people and Hasbro would like the opportunity to cash in on preview merch, but if the ethos of secrecy is making it's way throughout the Disney/LFL organization, then I think it's likely that any preview items might be limited to characters we already know.

Yeah, they could do a "Jedi Master Luke" or "Old Han Solo" figure as a preview pretty easy without spoiling any of the new characters...  Even a Ep7 Stormtrooper wouldn't too big a spoiler.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 01:41 PM »
Agreed.  I think that's pretty safe territory in terms of character selection.

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 06:43 AM »
There's no way we see any Episode VII product before Toy Fair, and even then I doubt we see anything juicy until SDCC. I'm assuming NYCC will only show us all of the filler we'll get between now and the Episode VII line release.

As for Sneak Preview figures, I don't recall any of them being too spoiler-ish. We got a major character for each movie (Windu, Jango, Grievous), an army builder (Clone, Wookiee), a minor character (Zam, Utapau guy), and an astromech, and the figures were pretty basic for the most part. I don't see why Hasbro wouldn't stick to the same formula.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 11:33 AM »
The only thing that I remember having major spoilers was the CD soundtrack with the track names (Qui-Gon's Funeral) that was released early.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 10:04 AM »
Is Hasbro doing a Q&A?  I'd like to inform Hasbro about Funko's 6" GoT Legacy figures as a guide.  It's similar to the SW one, except for the exclusives.  The SDCC Tyrion is being offered at Target now.  Would Hasbro consider releasing Carbonite Han and Mr. Crumb on regular cards or store exclusives?  It seems like a waste of sculpt and molds to not release it into the general public.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 10:32 AM »
Is Hasbro doing a Q&A?

All they have confirmed so far is that there will be new product on display.  There has been no confirmation yet on who (if anyone) from Hasbro's Star Wars team will be there. 

If it's just Hasbro's PR group and no one from the Star Wars team is there, I doubt any sort of Q&A will be worthwhile.  If Star Wars guys show up, then I'm sure we'll be asking them some things.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 12:43 PM »
From what I understand there are still some tickets available for Thursday.  I may try to go, but it's still up in the air for me.  Seeing new product in person is always very cool, but a show like NYCC can get really expensive in a hurry.

Feedback

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: October 8, 2014, 05:21 PM »
Just a reminder the #HasbroParty is tonight! 

I'll be tweeting from the event via my @jlsmentek twitter account, but I'll make sure to retweet them on the @jedidefender account as well! 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 8, 2014, 06:56 PM »
Saw this revealed at the NYCC Hasbro party via the Yakface Facebook page:

THE BLACK SERIES 3.75" BASIC FIGURES
New figures which include:
-Mosep Bineed
-Leia in Boussh disguise
-Jawa 2-pack
-C-3PO
-Han Solo w/ Carbonite block

THE BLACK SERIES 6" FIGURES
Clone Trooper Captain (Phase I armor)
The Emporer, Leia in Boussh disguise & IG-88
Clone Commander Cody, Luke Skywalker and Han Solo in Stormtrooper disguises

« Last Edit: October 8, 2014, 07:20 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 8, 2014, 07:42 PM »
Those all look nice, really want to see That new Leia head sculpt up close, looks vastly superior to the last one.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 8, 2014, 08:55 PM »
Looks like a RotS Palpatine in the pics.  I'd prefer one that looked like the older Jedi version... and as someone pointed out on Yak, where's the force lightning?

But I really like the Bousshs, Han in carbonite, and Mosep. as well as 6" IG-88, Stormie Luke and Han.  I'm really excited about these.

Is the 4" 3-PO the TVC version with the parts glued on?
« Last Edit: October 8, 2014, 08:57 PM by P-Siddy »