Author Topic: Keep Adult Collector Toys IN Toys ‘R’ Us!! Sign the Petition #TRULovesCollectors  (Read 6772 times)

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/keep-adult-collector-toys-in-toys-r-us-sign-t

Fan of the figures or not, I think it's something any adult fan of action figures ought to see and consider supporting.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Nice, was hoping someone would post that here. I find the whole things amusing, but only insofar as it is likely to fail. I would be super bummed if they ever actually stopped carrying adult collectibles.

Maybe she should be more worried about those spandex-clad steroid-shooting wrestler action figures.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
When I saw the report on the news that someone was protesting over "Breaking Bad" action figures being on the pegs at TRU I just had to shake my head.  Because the moral outrage police are at it once again. 

I get it that they (concerned parents) may have objections to figures from "Breaking Bad" because Walter White was a meth dealer / gangster.  I think we can universally agree that drug dealers are bad.  But the packages are clearly labeled with the appropriate age recommendations.  So what happens if TRU actually DOES pull Breaking Bad figures?  Where will the line be drawn next?  I'm worried about the slippery slope that would follow if TRU relents here. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
When I saw the report on the news that someone was protesting over "Breaking Bad" action figures being on the pegs at TRU I just had to shake my head.  Because the moral outrage police are at it once again. 

I get it that they (concerned parents) may have objections to figures from "Breaking Bad" because Walter White was a meth dealer / gangster.  I think we can universally agree that drug dealers are bad.  But the packages are clearly labeled with the appropriate age recommendations.  So what happens if TRU actually DOES pull Breaking Bad figures?  Where will the line be drawn next?  I'm worried about the slippery slope that would follow if TRU relents here.

Well the Breaking Bad figures are gone from TRU.com, and my local store didn't have any on the pegs this morning (I actually wanted to check if "meth" was mentioned on the package... I know the accessory is hidden behind the insert). It would appear that "they" have already won. I agree 100% that this is a slippery slope, and it's scary how quickly this spread thanks to social media and mis-informed sensationalized "news" stories.

Hopefully TRU takes this opportunity to re-evaluate placement of the "adult toys". I think placement near the electronics section (where I can grab a copy of GTA or Evil Within... go figure) may be more appropriate and would hopefully minimize the chance of something like this happening again down the road.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
It's incredibly stupid. On top of being with all the other adult figures like aliens and predators and Freddy and Jason and such, it doesn't actually advertise drugs at all, as many have said, the "Meth" accessory is hidden behind the insert. Where do you draw the line? Ninja turtles have swords and other violent weapons, should they be removed from shelves? GI Joes have guns and terrorists, does buying a Cobra Commander mean advocating terrorism? Girl dolls are dressed very sexualized with unrealistic proportions, should we boycott those too?

Whats next? Am I gonna start being denied my Cantina Aliens cuz some crazy mom finds out those little plastic cups they have on them are filled with a ficticious alcoholic beverage? I suppose we might as well kiss Han Solo figures good bye as well, drug smuggler that he is. And forget ever getting you're dead Padme and extra crispy Owen and Beru....And while we're wasting all this time saving their children from a terrible action figure they probably don't give two tosses about, being that they're just boring old dude action figures that no kid would probably be interested in anyway, lets instead teach them a very important lesson! That if you see something you don't like, just gripe and yell and scream until everyone caves in and gives you what you want. Cuz that's good parenting. But I digress...

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Breaking Bad
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 07:59 PM »
Yeah, the Breaking Bad figures were either pulled or someone bought them all (speculating).  There were tons of them a week ago and none today.... and they hadn't been moving at all.

I'm surprised there's no outcry against Slave Leia.  I mean scantily clad, wearing a chained collar and the slave part is rather ambiguous.  And what about Star Wars' own death stick dealer from 11-12 years ago?

But yeah, there's one aisle that is dedicated to adult toys (or should be). My TRU has all these Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Firefly, ReAction stuff with Transformers.  Still, what kid would be interested in a hazmat guy and he wouldn't know about the meth bit in relation to the show unless his parents allow him to watch it.  I still laugh that the Mom in question professes to love the show, too.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking Bad
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 08:24 PM »
Still, what kid would be interested in a hazmat guy and he wouldn't know about the meth bit in relation to the show unless his parents allow him to watch it.  I still laugh that the Mom in question professes to love the show, too.

That's one of the worst parts about this whole thing... nothing on the package advertises the meth/drug connection, so the only way a kid would know what the character is about is if they were watching the show... what has happened to common sense?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Grand Theft Auto, swords, guns, laser pistols... nearly every boys toy in that store is violent or offensive somehow, to someone.

I hope TRU stands their ground on this.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Sounds like that mom needs some toys of her own, and to chill out.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Sounds like that mom needs some toys of her own

...dolls of Skyler and Marie?  :P

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
The terrorists have won: Pulled
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
It's very disturbing how easy a victory that was....

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 01:42 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender