Author Topic: GI Joe - The Black Series?  (Read 4934 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
GI Joe - The Black Series?
« on: October 22, 2014, 05:27 PM »
Saw this rumored on Twitter so I thought I'd post it here sine HissTank is usually pretty reputable...

G.I. Joe Black Series Snake Eyes with Timber SDCC 2015 Launch Date?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: GI Joe - The Black Series?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 08:31 PM »
So much for the, "GI Joe is DEAD!!!!" rumors I was reading on another site.  ::)  I got lambasted for suggesting it's not, by the way.   ;D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 09:02 PM »
I don't necessarily trust the Hisstank rumor for a couple of reasons, but GI Joe 6" seems inevitable at this point with the resurrection of Marvel Legends and popularity of Star Wars Black Series. I'd be interested if the figures have a modern appearance like the Pursuit of Cobra or Sideshow lines. If it ends up being 6" scale classic updates (like 25th Anniversary, only bigger) then I will stay away. IMO it would be a shame to waste the extra detailing that 6" would allow for on outdated 80's looks.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 09:05 PM »
30th Anniversary style would rule.  Cobra Troopers galore... Ultimate Cobra Commander.. Storm Shadow...other classic characters... I'd be in... so would my son.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 4, 2014, 09:39 AM »
I've been completely underwhelmed with the SW 6" scale stuff.  Of the three figures I've picked up all have what I consider to be major flaws whether it was in design or manufacturing.  I wouldn't be in for any of the Joe stuff either.

And Jesse, Joe isn't quite dead but outside of the GI Joe Club, it's really just a movie year property for Hasbro now.  Apparently they have new person in charge of the brand at Hasbro though so maybe we will see something more than the 50th Anniversary stuff?

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: November 6, 2014, 02:33 AM »
I'm not a big 6" figure fan myself, but I friggin' called that a 6" line wouldn't shock me as a bit of a "reboot" to GIJ going forward, while they hash out what they want to do with the line at all.  I was met with tons of "You're wrong, it's gone, it's dead, they should sell it to someone else who will do it right for us!" type remarks... Sound familiar?  Sounds like Star Wars collectors, hehe.  ;D  I brought up the movie's staying power, etc., and was met with ticket sales which means jack in the toy aisle ultimately.

I felt like a soothsayer with the call because then the 6" rumor cropped up pretty soon after then...  It makes sense because of the way Star Wars is going, which (arguably) is more popular and has a more devoted collector-base...  I still think Star Wars is destined for no 4" collector-focused figures.  Or maybe Star Wars is just lingering longer because they paid for it and GIJ is in-house, I dunno.

Anyway I tried making the argument about the 12" SS figures seemingly hanging on too, but yeah...  Oh well.  Who knows what GIJ's future is?  Except I don't think it's dead.  I think it fell prey to Hasbro's upcoming juggling act as they deal with this onslaught of movie properties from Marvel, DC, Star Wars...  I think GIJ is (mostly) on this "hiatus" because manufacturing resources in China are going to be geared at those properties for the foreseeable future and it'll be steady.  I think if GIJ had a film coming, they'd get their fingers in the pie too, to some degree.

I'm not sure it'd have a 4" presence, but maybe.  Star Wars still does, so who knows.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 06:04 PM »
I don't know if the 4" Star Wars line will ever go away or if they'll even completely abandon the collector market that is targeted by the $10 BS line partly because they're so far into it that changing up scales could alienate a huge part of their base and also it's still less expensive than a 5" or 6" line.  Besides, who knows what Lucasfilm/Disney is thinking, they may be mandating a 4" line.  Until they're not.

I think you may be right on the GIJ line when it comes to production.  With movies for four Marvel properties and Transformers all in theaters this year and Rebels on TV, that doesn't leave a lot of room for a property that's seen sagging sales in a movie year and only has a comic to support it. Why waste production line time or have to fight for more shelf space at retail?

I know it's a good marketing move for Hasbro to have product for a film like Amazing Spider-Man or Guardians, but I think they should take a page out of Marvel's playbook and integrate their movie figures into a cohesive line for collectors. They're sort of doing this with the Marvel Infinite line now but if they had one branding and just release regular waves themed around the current movie property and then fill in with general releases to fill in the gaps it would make it easier to give attention to other lines like GI Joe.

I'm really looking towards the FSS 3.0 line of Joe figs from the Club though and I can not wait until my Marauder's figures show up.  In the end I probably won't loose any sleep over Hasbro not doing Joe at retail if these kinds of alternatives exist.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 06:31 PM »
GI who?  I've given up on Joes.  Certainly wouldn't start all over with a new scale.  Was a fun little reboot while it lasted!
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 07:11 PM »
I have no clue where 4" Star Wars is going.  I feel like they're devoting more to the 6" line, as far as collector-targeted stuff goes.  Maybe it just feels that way, but damn near every wave is chock full of new tooling so I'm reluctant to say they aren't leaning that way.

I don't know that 4" would go away, so much as 4" collector toys would, and 4" would be all the cartoony and 5 POA stuff, which has customizing potential only to me, and I'd never shell out extra for any of it.  If that were to happen I'd be very much dedicated to other things I collect, mostly out of Japan at this point, which would suit me just fine I think.  Acid Rain would also get booku $ from me going forward, haha.  I actually may even "army build" some of the vehicles!  Hell, that thought alone almost makes me wish Hasbro would bail on collector 4" stuff I wanted, hehe.

I don't think they'd can 4" all together though.  I lean against that thought.  I just feel like 4" could be the kid's line, movie/cartoon focused obviously, and 6" will be a mix of old and new, very collector focused, and perhaps it would flourish with more interesting things like larger accessories, smaller vehicles.

I will say, the MASK news that's out there really is surprising.  Yet another direction they're going?  Is this where Joe's budget went?   :-\