Author Topic: The Force Awakens Trailers  (Read 49203 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: The Force Awakens Trailers
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2014, 02:23 PM »
Still no shots of Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford. We have Han's voice on the previous trailer

The previous trailer where he says warhorse?

That one's fake right?

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2014, 02:32 PM »
yeah i guess it was fake, just learning about that

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2014, 03:29 PM »
I'm cautiously optimistic about this.

Love the shot of the Falcon!  I'm ok with the flame saber as long as Luke's and any other Jedi sabers are normal.

The new X-wings look awesome!

My oldest son loves the new astromech.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2014, 06:04 PM »
I felt there was a flow of footage tha blended OT and PT flight scenes...  The PT had a lot of that twisting and turning IMO.  The "flights" of fighters felt very OT though, with multiple ships holding a tight formation.

I was pretty stoked...  Still am.  I've watched it a few times and find some newness each time.  The Stormtrooper footage goes way too fast! :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2014, 08:23 PM »
There's an interesting article about the trailer on the NY Times site.  It talks about some of the love/hate relationship of fans with Star Wars as it exists now, and the reactions to the trailer.

Even with the appearance of OT elements like Stormtroopers, the Falcon, X-Wings and TIE Fighters, this trailer *FEELS* different.  And I chalk some of my own reaction to the general sense of cynicism that seems pervasive among fans of my own generation.  I was just 5 years old when I saw the first film in the theater.  And that was after it had been in the theaters for the whole summer of 1977!  That experience shaped my perception of Star Wars up through 1983 or so.  I continued to watch the OT on pirated video tapes through the 80's and eventually knew the films backwards and forwards.

I was genuinely excited for the PT.  And at the time of the release of those films I didn't have so much of a problem with them.  At least not like some other fans seem to.  But that sense of cynicism from fans who grew up with the OT has spread.  My stance has been that NOBODY, not even George Lucas, was going to be able to live up to the expectations of this generation of fans.  You know this crowd.  The ones who say 'George Lucas raped my childhood'.  Blech. 

But unfortunately for everyone involved, when you're talking about a story like the fall of the Jedi Order and the origins of Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker, George Lucas was painted into a corner from a storytelling standpoint.  When a story is boxed in with those sorts of parameters it makes it hard for anyone to get really invested in the process.  At least when we knew from the OT that Luke & Leia's mother dies, Anakin gets dismembered and burned, the Jedi are slaughtered and Obi-Wan Kenobi & Yoda go into hiding.

And then there's been the monetization of Star Wars.  It's one of the biggest, most lucrative licensed properties of all time.  So there's been a financial interest in keeping the Star Wars machine rolling.  And then enter Disney:  GL decides he's done with Star Wars and ready to move on. So what will Disney do?  Make more movies, of course!  The financial motivation on the parts of GL, Lucasfilm, Fox, Disney et al does make you question the purity of things.  At least I do.

Clearly, the arc of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader is over.  What we're left with now is a great unknown.  I think it's that unknown factor that leaves me feeling uncertain after seeing this trailer.  Maybe some of the PT critic cynicism has worn off on me, too.  And I know for certain that I have mixed feelings about Disney and their stewardship of Star Wars.  But I'm also left thinking that Disney has actually done a good job with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  So I guess I also have a degree of that cautious optimism.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 08:05 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2014, 10:12 PM »
http://m.hitfix.com/comedy/8-tiny-universe-changes-you-didnt-notice-in-the-star-wars-episode-vii-trailer

That little piece has some stuff wrong, and is speculating on plenty.  New Republic?  No confirmation that it even exists in the new Disney-owned-EU-doesn't-exist Star Wars.

Tatooine?  Maybe, but maybe it's some other planet.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2014, 07:17 AM »
Why can't people just get excited about a new starwars movie???
Let the haters hate, I loved it, the sound of those xwings skimming the water gave me goosebumps and then the trumpets sounds and the falcon is on screen
F*** YEAH!!!
Next year cannot come soon enough
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2014, 07:54 AM »
http://m.hitfix.com/comedy/8-tiny-universe-changes-you-didnt-notice-in-the-star-wars-episode-vii-trailer

That little piece has some stuff wrong, and is speculating on plenty.  New Republic?  No confirmation that it even exists in the new Disney-owned-EU-doesn't-exist Star Wars.

Tatooine?  Maybe, but maybe it's some other planet.

Agreed.  That article makes A LOT of assumptions that seem to be based in some of the EU that is now in that Star Wars Legends category.  The short version is that going into this movie you need to divorce yourself from all of that established post ROTJ expanded universe and go into this completely fresh.  To me?  That means no New Republic.  It wasn't established in ROTJ, and I think we have to take that as our jumping off point.

Regarding my "cautious optimism"?  I think that a lot of my uncertainty is entirely about the fact that George Lucas is no longer at the helm.  What will Disney do with Star Wars?  And what will JJ Abrams do with Star Wars?  I guess until I see more there's going to be a lingering sense of uncertainty.  At least for me.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 08:29 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2014, 03:49 PM »
I liked what I saw.  Dug seeing the stormies and the x-wings on top of the water the most.  Can totally see a parody of this trailer coming out fairly soon.

I farted....  Can you smell it ?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2014, 06:43 PM »
I think I've watched this now a dozen times and love almost everything about it.  Not sold on the soccer ball astromech, but will keep an open mind.  I got very nervous that there was only the 'record' button on the back of the Stormtrooper armor, but was happy to see the 'pause' button after a couple viewings.  I also liked the nod to the original McQuarrie art concept with Daisey Ridley's headwrap.

I'm ok with the flame saber as long as Luke's and any other Jedi sabers are normal.

I'm with you on this.  I believe at the end of the trailer when everything has faded to black, you can hear a faint lightsaber sound effect, so I'm hopeful that means all others will be as we expect...  Fingers crossed.

Next year can't come soon enough!
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2014, 11:16 PM »
Trying hard to remain positive.  I loved and grew up on the OT, seeing SW the first time(s) in theater at age 13. 

I enjoyed the PT in theaters, though it was a struggle.  Upon reflection on the PT though I find myself fairly disenchanted by that trio of movies.  It hurt. 

The trailer had cool aspects to it and looked good.  I'm guessing I'm one of the few that disliked the dark side saber.  Hilts?  Um, what?  And the soccer ball bit is disturbing. 

That said, I actually enjoyed the ST reboot movies because I looked at them mostly as fluff and fun and that worked.  JJ's movies seem enjoyable to me.  And Disney has done some wonders with other franchises so I'm hopeful.  Guardedly so however.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2014, 11:44 PM »
I've always been able to put the OT in a bubble surrounded by an invincible force field that can't be touched by anything else that has the Star Wars name on it. To me nothing can detract from them. That's partly why I'm able to be a big EU fan. And as bad as the prequels were and as low (relative to the OT, not the PT) my hopes are for the whore Disney's trilogy, I'm nothing but excited. It's more SW. I'm always happy to throw a little negativity out there, but this next year can't go by fast enough.

Though if soccer is a part of the new movies then all bets are off..........  ;)
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2014, 11:42 AM »
I liked what I saw.  Dug seeing the stormies and the x-wings on top of the water the most.  Can totally see a parody of this trailer coming out fairly soon.

I farted....  Can you smell it ?

And here we go... The Force Awakens: Special Edition Teaser
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2014, 12:44 PM »
Regarding my "cautious optimism"?  I think that a lot of my uncertainty is entirely about the fact that George Lucas is no longer at the helm.  What will Disney do with Star Wars?  And what will JJ Abrams do with Star Wars?  I guess until I see more there's going to be a lingering sense of uncertainty.  At least for me.

George Lucas no longer being at the helm is the single biggest reason that I think these might be amazing.  Lucas used to be great, but sometime in the mid-90's he lost his edge and has pretty much made junk since then.