Author Topic: The Force Awakens Trailers  (Read 49496 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: The Force Awakens Trailers
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2014, 01:32 PM »
Regarding my "cautious optimism"?  I think that a lot of my uncertainty is entirely about the fact that George Lucas is no longer at the helm.  What will Disney do with Star Wars?  And what will JJ Abrams do with Star Wars?  I guess until I see more there's going to be a lingering sense of uncertainty.  At least for me.

George Lucas no longer being at the helm is the single biggest reason that I think these might be amazing.  Lucas used to be great, but sometime in the mid-90's he lost his edge and has pretty much made junk since then.

For me that isn't where things went pear shaped.  I think the issues with the prequels stem largely from GL getting back into the Director's chair.  Lucas recognized that much after he made the first movie.  He stepped back into the role of screenwriter / executive producer and let someone else direct TESB and ROTJ.  That formula worked. 

However, given the way that Lucas had taken to directing the PT films from the edit suite, I don't know if any good director would have taken on the job of directing any of the prequels.  But what would the PT have been like if George Lucas had a sounding board of someone he respected along the lines of a Kirschner in the director's chair?  I think that's one of the great questions regarding the Star Wars prequels.

And then there's JJ Abrams.  I look at what he did with the two Star Trek films and those are a significant departure from classic Trek.  Under Abrams Star Trek went from SciFi to becoming a series of action films.  Personally, I can't say that I've been a big fan of the ST reboot.  So will JJ Abrams stay true to the spirit of the Star Wars franchise?  And will Kathleen Kennedy hold his feet to the fire to do just that?  This is the area where I have questions about this new era of Star Wars.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2014, 03:45 PM »
Regarding my "cautious optimism"?  I think that a lot of my uncertainty is entirely about the fact that George Lucas is no longer at the helm.  What will Disney do with Star Wars?  And what will JJ Abrams do with Star Wars?  I guess until I see more there's going to be a lingering sense of uncertainty.  At least for me.

George Lucas no longer being at the helm is the single biggest reason that I think these might be amazing.  Lucas used to be great, but sometime in the mid-90's he lost his edge and has pretty much made junk since then.

Further proof that Lucas out of SW is a breath of fresh air - that Strange Magic trailer looks like a turd of a movie. Bad jokes, shoddy dialogue and tired tropes.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2014, 04:37 PM »
I wonder what input he has actually had?  Lucas was supposedly being kept aboard as a consultant of sorts, iirc, and I'm fine with that...  I'm in the camp though that looks at Lucas as a genius for creating it, but thank god he's not controlling it now.  Not that Disney have proven themselves by any means (and I find Rebels a far cry from Clone Wars in terms of quality).

To me, Disney's really just more EU right now.  It's just wide open and what works works, and what doesn't doesn't, and I don't really care either way.  I'll enjoy what's good, criticize what's bad, but overall am pleased at new Star Wars...  I'm already sure I won't hate it, but I'm equally sure I'll look at it as if the Zahn Trilogy were made into a film by some random guy.

It's the same way I look at custom figures...  Some are great, I'd love to own, but I'd never feel totally right with it next to a Hasbro produced toy for some reason.  They'd go together, but not be the same (good or bad).  If that makes sense?

I'm excited though.  I think Abrams gets Star Wars and its fans...  I liked the Trek reboots and I don't think he was making those to honor Star Trek as much as he was trying to make ST new, for new audiences.  He succeeded at that IMO.  This is a continuation of what Star Wars was...  I think he'll recognize that and do it justice.  Hell, in 88 seconds he managed to make it look more seamless to the OT while still obviously modern and new, than Lucas was capable of achieving in the 3 PT films.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2014, 11:39 PM »
And then there's JJ Abrams.  I look at what he did with the two Star Trek films and those are a significant departure from classic Trek.  Under Abrams Star Trek went from SciFi to becoming a series of action films.  Personally, I can't say that I've been a big fan of the ST reboot.  So will JJ Abrams stay true to the spirit of the Star Wars franchise?  And will Kathleen Kennedy hold his feet to the fire to do just that?  This is the area where I have questions about this new era of Star Wars.

The Star Trek reboot was JJ Abram's Star Wars audition.  Plus, he has Lawrence Kasdan writing TFA script and not that hack Damon Lindelof.  That gives me some hope.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 1, 2014, 11:45 AM »
George Lucas has come out with his own Special Edition version of the teaser trailer.

http://youtu.be/v93Jh6JNBng
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 1, 2014, 11:48 AM »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 8, 2014, 12:24 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuoqafTga0U

Suprised this SNL snit hasn't been posted from this past Saturday night

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 8, 2014, 05:29 PM »
Taran Killam was fantastic as Han. And the Lando bit was hilarious!

Feedback

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 8, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Perhaps there will be really just more previews later this year or next year.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2014, 07:36 PM »
They played the trailer here before the Hobbit in IMAX 3D.  That scene with the Falcon is epic!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2014, 12:40 AM »
I got a trailer prior to Hobbit too and it was even better on the big screen. I did notice a louder lightsaber ignition noise at the end though. I know it was on the YouTube version but it always sounded faint to me.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 6, 2015, 09:24 PM »
Details about the next trailer have leaked out today.  Spoiler warnings do apply.  Speculation has it that this second trailer will likely debut at Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim later this month.  And it's also very likely to be attached to another Disney film, Avengers - Age of Ultron which will be released in the U.S. on May 1st. 

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #57 on: April 6, 2015, 09:28 PM »
Not gonna read it, but I'm anxious to see it now. :)  I'm anxious to see the old cast, which I am hopeful will appear (at least in part) in this new trailer.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 7, 2015, 10:36 AM »
I guess one of those was bound to happen, but "Noooo!"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile