Author Topic: The Black Series 3.75" - Wave 8  (Read 24130 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: The Black Series 3.75" - Wave 8
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2015, 10:36 PM »
Wv8 remnants came in from EE today...  Thank god I'm done (for now).

Haven't even opened the box.  :-[
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #46 on: July 1, 2015, 12:35 AM »
I went through my figures finally.

C-3PO...  Wish the gold were a little more vibrant, but the figure is still surprisingly interesting to me.  The right hand is a neat open hand, unique looking.  The panels fit onto it perfectly actually, and the panel lines are pretty well hidden completely.

I really wish the gold weren't so muted, as this is probably the cooler of the C-3PO figures in the line, actually.

Boussh Leia...  The 50/50 figure of the wave.  She's not a winner, not a loser.  Her headsculpt isn't as good as the last version of this figure, but it's also not horrid.  The paint is not bad overall and the little logos on the backpack are pretty slick.

The articulation is everything you could want on the figure pretty much, hooray for articulated figures still being a thing.  And the skirt doesn't inhibit it much at all either, despite being plastic.  It's flexible, and nicely done, which allows this figure to pose well still.  +1 too for the softgoods cape.

That said, Hasbro completely ***** the bed on the molded-in detonator in her left hand, when the last figure actually features a removable, teeny tiny detonator accessory.

So while the sculpt isn't the best, and that detonator is a major flub, it's an interestingly decent figure.  Unfortunately, not perfect by any means.

-Cmdr. Fox...  I think that's his name, I probably goofed it though.  The throw-away mandatory Clone repaint.  His figure is fine for what it is.  Only flawed by the almost dingaling like antenna on his left shoulder pad, which at the very least is out of scale, and at worst looks like a sex toy stuck to him.   :-X

He's a Clone...  Aren't you sick of them too?  I know I am.

-Mosep Bineed...  He rocks socks.  The fact I have a new Cantina alien has me on something of a high so it's hard to be judgmental with him.  His joints are a little "short" in their range of motion.  That and no holster for his new blaster would be my gripes.  That would be minor though, as I really enjoy him and am very glad I nabbed two so I had a fodder fig around.

-Jawas...  Didn't realize how much I'd like these two but I really do.  Hasbro did the ion blasters up right and updated the POTF2 one but also nicely did up the enfield style one with a modern sculpt and proper scale.  The large holster on the one figure for his ion rifle is cool because it opens at the side to easily put the weapon in/out of the holster.  Surprised me how much I really liked these guys, and a 2-pack makes $13+ quite a bit easier to stomach.

-Han Carbonite...  One flaw is the head.  Neck down, this figure is pretty amazing.  Neck up, he's not.  The sculpt is not the best likeness, but not their worst either of Ford's face.  I'd say the paint REALLY harms the sculpt a bit more than the sculpt itself.  The hair deco is really sloppy, and lacks any color variation to it.  The eyes are fine, but the hair deco is really bad, sloppily applied, and it just detracts from the rest of it completely.

The rest of the figure is the articulation and sculpt everyone has wanted for a new Carbonite Han though, and let me say that the block is OUTSTANDING.  An ultimate accessory, if there is such a thing.  So much so that I already have a plan for an extra block in the works that I think will be shockingly easy to accomplish once I do some research. :)

Overall the pre-TFA TBS4" final wave is pretty awesome...  Mosep, Han, Jawas, and shockingly C-3PO, kind of make this wave a mega-winner to me.  $13.99 figures, a Clone I could've easily lived without, and a detonator someone can't seem to drop, all suck a weenie.

But it's a good wave...  Glad I've got them and I'm wrapping up this line (for now).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #47 on: July 1, 2015, 01:11 AM »
I only picked up the C-3PO and the Leia.  You summed up my thoughts on the C-3PO perfectly, and I'm actually mad that the detonator is sculpted to Leia's hand.  If I had known that, I would not have purchased that figure!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 1, 2015, 01:14 AM »
Funny how my timing can be so off with HTS. Been checking every day for new postings and the one day I can't, they go up.  :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 1, 2015, 02:02 AM »
Jesse,  where Leia/Boushh's boots painted or where they gray?

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 1, 2015, 12:26 PM »
Has there been an official decry on what if anything is slightly different about this c3po and the Vintage Collection one?
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #51 on: July 1, 2015, 12:30 PM »
C-3PO is a repaint.  Best paint update they made is coloring his knee the correct silver color.  TVC version had an incorrectly colored gold knee.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 1, 2015, 12:35 PM »
C-3PO is a repaint.  Best paint update they made is coloring his knee the correct silver color.  TVC version had an incorrectly colored gold knee.

Thanks. Just different enough for me to wish I pre ordered it but not enough to have a panic attack.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline indysolo007

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 9, 2015, 09:56 PM »
Received my 6 wave 8 figures from Hasbrotoyshop and I'm underwhelmed to say the least. Thorn is poorly painted and as rigid as the wave 7 clones. Leia and Han are also sloppy. No torso articulation either on them. Leia is the better of the two. Mosep is a great addition to any cantina display but needs a little more paint. He kinds of stands out because of this and almost looks like his face belongs to POTF2 figures. The jawas are the stars of this wave and very detailed. C3po is a little cross eyed and that small mold kills him. I plan on displaying him with my clone wars (realistic) figures like obi wan, ahsoka, Anakin, since he is based on that color scheme. This wave was a let down.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2015, 08:25 AM »
I find it curious that Thorn has gone in and out of stock several times already, but Mosep remains sold out since that first day he went up. Well, not so much curious as aggravating I guess.  :D

That's the one guy left that I still need!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2015, 11:49 AM »
Received my order from HTS this morning. Very happy how these turned out. All caught up with the line now and I guess it's on to the future.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2015, 04:00 PM »
Received my order from HTS this morning. Very happy how these turned out. All caught up with the line now and I guess it's on to the future.

Got mine too (Jawas, Boussh, Han and Mosep).  I like them but am disappointed about the lack of coloring on Boussh's boots (which is hidden by the packaging).  I wonder if they'll make a running change on this (probably not being the (likely) last wave before TFA)... and, yeah, the thermal detonator molded into her hand is a step down from the Saga 2 version (I think Jesse pointed this out).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2015, 07:45 PM »
Looks to me like cases are processing at the moment.  Just a heads up if you ordered.  If you didn't, apparently the world is ending so you should order now.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2015, 10:13 PM »
I got my 2 Thorns today...what crap paint jobs. Worse than any of the Rebels stuff I've seen. And this is (was?) the premium line? Eesh.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2015, 04:05 PM »
I agree that I think the coloring seems to be off. A tad too glossy in general, doesn't match what's come before.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."