Author Topic: 20th Anniversary of POTF2  (Read 4144 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
20th Anniversary of POTF2
« on: January 16, 2015, 09:08 PM »
Man, it is hard to believe, but this year marks the 20th anniversary of the original "return" of Star Wars figures to the toy aisles.  Although many of those figures look ridiculous these days, it really was a cool time in SW collecting I think.  I wasn't really "in" on these from the beginning, but came in later on and then backtracked picking some of them up.  Although some of the He-Man like sculpts were kind of extreme, I remember - at the time - thinking figures like the Boba Fett were amazing, just comparing detail to the vintage line.  I didn't know anything about "collecting" toys then, and hadn't paid that much attention since my childhood for the most part, but that was the start of things that continues to this day.  There are times when I like to look back on the releases for each year in the POTF2 days, and think how much fun it must have been for those of you who bought in from the beginning - awaiting each new version of our favorite characters, not to mention all of the vehicle, beasts, and other things that were hitting at that time.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: 20th Anniversary of POTF2
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 01:40 AM »
It was another two years for me.  The first POTF2 figures I got were the Theater Edition Lukes from the ROTJ:SE opening.

Although the beginning of the line is fairly atrocious (monkey Leia, figures Steroid Luke and Han, figures ne being able to fit in vehicles, etc).  There are seom good figures towards the end of the line (commtech and a bunch of others).  Hell, I still have some displayed!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:42 AM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 02:50 PM »
I got my first figures Christmas 1996, Vader and Pilot Luke. Never paid attention to the line until I saw Star Wars on TV sometime that year and basically spent 1997 and 1998 buying a lot of stuff (of course nowhere near the scale I buy today). Lots of good memories from the line, especially compared to today when we could go to any store and there would be pegs and pegs full of figures.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline digktialx

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 6, 2015, 08:22 PM »
Man, it is hard to believe, but this year marks the 20th anniversary of the original "return" of Star Wars figures to the toy aisles.  Although many of those figures look ridiculous these days, it really was a cool time in SW collecting I think.  I wasn't really "in" on these from the beginning, but came in later on and then backtracked picking some of them up.  Although some of the He-Man like sculpts were kind of extreme, I remember - at the time - thinking figures like the Boba Fett were amazing, just comparing detail to the vintage line.  I didn't know anything about "collecting" toys then, and hadn't paid that much attention since my childhood for the most part, but that was the start of things that continues to this day.  There are times when I like to look back on the releases for each year in the POTF2 days, and think how much fun it must have been for those of you who bought in from the beginning - awaiting each new version of our favorite characters, not to mention all of the vehicle, beasts, and other things that were hitting at that time.

Spot on - I got these when I was in college since I had picked up the Star Wars series on VHS and then saw them in the store. I only got 5 of them and displayed them for a brief time only to realize they weren't very good sculpts. I completely agree on the He-Man sculpts - Lando must be the worst looking one he's ripped like a mofo complete with a six pack.  ::)

-dx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ToyGear
Twitter: @foamtrays

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 7, 2015, 06:10 PM »
Lando's too buff, but that monkey-face-Leia is still the worst of the bunch.  Man, I remember thinking I struck gold with some of those rarer figures (Lando/Leia), Long Sabers, and tan vests.  I've since gone through really disliking these figures back to feeling a bit nostalgic for them as they brought me back in to the collecting fold so many years ago.  Man, this makes me feel old.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 8, 2015, 04:44 PM »
Let's not forget that first Rebel Fleet Trooper in the too-buff category. Not just the abs and pecs, but that enormous neck!

I started collecting POTF2 from the very beginning, and for those 4 years we got a great collection as far as the variety of characters and vehicles. I honestly never thought it would surpass the vintage stuff...seems silly now.

I say it still stands as the best, most complete collection yet released. Sure the newer stuff looks better, but nothing touches the variety of POTF2.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 9, 2015, 11:49 AM »
Are you referring to the Rebel Fleet Trooper on .00 card with rectangular bubble or the .01 card slanted bubble version.   ;)  Man, the things I used to prioritize...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today