Community > JD Sports Forum!

Proposing new format for 2015 Fantasy Hockey + Basketball, 2016 Baseball

(1/3) > >>

Rob:
We've got plenty of time to discuss, since there's no new leagues until the fall.  I'm in one outside league for each of the three sports we do here that aren't football, and they're all head-to-head (like football), and I feel like it's easier to stay engaged in them, and like they're more competitive that way. 

For anyone not familiar, it's like the way our football league works, but you play week long games against another team and jam as many guys into your lineup as you want (or strategically sit guys).  For things like pitchers you have a minimum innings per week you have to hit, or for goalies a minimum starts you have to hit.  You typically have a limit on how many players you can add per week (like 7 or so). 

From there it's rotisserie style, you'll have X number of categories, and for each category that you lead in at the end of the week you'll get a point.  Games will be 9-1 or 8-2 or 4-4 or whatever and those points you earn on a weekly basis tally up to determine the standings.

Here's a screen grab of the championship game for the basketball league I'm in that ended last night:

Having done both now, I think it's very much worth it, it's tons of fun, and solves some issues.  There's less of a set-it-and-forget it approach, and there's no more 'games played' stats to worry about, you just start guys.

Additionally, then you get fantasy playoffs in each league, like we have in football.  You make the playoffs, then you have weekly head-to-head match ups to determine who advances.  Which to me would make the end of the season much more exciting, and give teams that get hot late a chance to make noise whereas now they're just too far back to catch up.

I highly recommend that we try going this way and thought it was worth suggesting.

Thoughts?  Questions?  Discussion?

Diddly:
I am all in for this format change. I try to get involved with basketball each year, but I still don't even know how the scoring system works. All of my guys could have great nights and I'll lose 2 points, then I forget about the league for 2 weeks and find I've gained 10 points despite starters being injured or having terrible games. Would be easier to stay interested too.

Rob:

--- Quote from: Diddly on August 18, 2015, 09:51 AM --- Would be easier to stay interested too.

--- End quote ---

That's the big thing for me too... you can always focus on the individual week and to me it's much more engaging doing head-to-head. 

Morgbug:
I'll go with whatever direction the group wants, but I simply don't have the time to manage a game like this.  That's just the reality of my situation, so my vote is for status quo. 

That said, I don't see it going ahead for hockey as none of the Canadians in the pool watch their fantasy teams that closely.  Not sure if you were including that or just thinking basketball.  I will bounce it off the guys that I know directly though, perhaps I'm in the minority there too. 

Dressel Rebel:
I'll take status quo. H2H adds too much luck and dice roll, there's enough of that already in roto with the injury lightning bolts that randomly strike.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version