Author Topic: Proposing new format for 2015 Fantasy Hockey + Basketball, 2016 Baseball  (Read 6000 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
We've got plenty of time to discuss, since there's no new leagues until the fall.  I'm in one outside league for each of the three sports we do here that aren't football, and they're all head-to-head (like football), and I feel like it's easier to stay engaged in them, and like they're more competitive that way. 

For anyone not familiar, it's like the way our football league works, but you play week long games against another team and jam as many guys into your lineup as you want (or strategically sit guys).  For things like pitchers you have a minimum innings per week you have to hit, or for goalies a minimum starts you have to hit.  You typically have a limit on how many players you can add per week (like 7 or so). 

From there it's rotisserie style, you'll have X number of categories, and for each category that you lead in at the end of the week you'll get a point.  Games will be 9-1 or 8-2 or 4-4 or whatever and those points you earn on a weekly basis tally up to determine the standings.

Here's a screen grab of the championship game for the basketball league I'm in that ended last night:

Having done both now, I think it's very much worth it, it's tons of fun, and solves some issues.  There's less of a set-it-and-forget it approach, and there's no more 'games played' stats to worry about, you just start guys.

Additionally, then you get fantasy playoffs in each league, like we have in football.  You make the playoffs, then you have weekly head-to-head match ups to determine who advances.  Which to me would make the end of the season much more exciting, and give teams that get hot late a chance to make noise whereas now they're just too far back to catch up.

I highly recommend that we try going this way and thought it was worth suggesting.

Thoughts?  Questions?  Discussion?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 11:48 AM by Rob »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
I am all in for this format change. I try to get involved with basketball each year, but I still don't even know how the scoring system works. All of my guys could have great nights and I'll lose 2 points, then I forget about the league for 2 weeks and find I've gained 10 points despite starters being injured or having terrible games. Would be easier to stay interested too.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Would be easier to stay interested too.

That's the big thing for me too... you can always focus on the individual week and to me it's much more engaging doing head-to-head. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
I'll go with whatever direction the group wants, but I simply don't have the time to manage a game like this.  That's just the reality of my situation, so my vote is for status quo. 

That said, I don't see it going ahead for hockey as none of the Canadians in the pool watch their fantasy teams that closely.  Not sure if you were including that or just thinking basketball.  I will bounce it off the guys that I know directly though, perhaps I'm in the minority there too. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
I'll take status quo. H2H adds too much luck and dice roll, there's enough of that already in roto with the injury lightning bolts that randomly strike.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
I'll take status quo. H2H adds too much luck and dice roll, there's enough of that already in roto with the injury lightning bolts that randomly strike.

How so?

Now that I'm playing in both type of leagues, quite frankly I find our leagues outside of football to be really boring.

Injuries are part of sports... you could lose your star player in the playoffs, it's true... but you could just as easily see your opponent lose their star player and it helps you.  That kind of stuff is just dumb luck.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
I'll go with whatever direction the group wants, but I simply don't have the time to manage a game like this.  That's just the reality of my situation, so my vote is for status quo. 

That said, I don't see it going ahead for hockey as none of the Canadians in the pool watch their fantasy teams that closely.  Not sure if you were including that or just thinking basketball.  I will bounce it off the guys that I know directly though, perhaps I'm in the minority there too.

To me quite frankly, that's what makes the hockey league pretty boring.  No one pays attention... you set the thing up, check it once a week to see if someone got injured and you missed it, and if you happen to be way behind 2 months in, you might as well hang it up because you're too far behind and don't have a chance of sneaking into the playoffs and getting hot at the right time.  Basketball and baseball are a little less so since they're at least rotisserie. 

The games played in baseball drives me insane every year.  I have no idea how you guys use your games up, I'm -20 in the OF and UTL and I the rosters aren't big enough for me to have enough guys to make up the difference without failing to use my innings...

A Rotisserie that's also Head-to-head solves all this stuff and is way more entertaining, and interesting once the playoffs hit.  I couldn't feel more strongly about it now that I've tried both ways.  Instead of a maximum number of games you have a maximum number of adds every week, and a minimum number of innings pitched or goalies started...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 04:20 PM by Rob »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Well I think that's part of the point though - you set it and forget it for a week and you're not going to be toast.  I agree though, if I have the time it's a better format but I don't have the spare time between work, volunteering, coaching and driving the kid around to her stuff.  Same deal for most of the Canadian guys in the hockey league and probably Scott too, though I won't speak for him.  Too little time is the reason Jeff's not playing hockey anymore (that and he's a scaredy cat).  Different lifestyles. 

To me it's the same argument for the way our waivers work in fantasy football.  For guys like you or Patrick that have the time and interest to watch all the games like a hawk, our waiver system largely sucks.  You're THAT invested in it.  But most of us aren't for various reasons, not the least of which is most of our spouses don't play the games; you're lucky that yours does but it's not everyone's reality. 

I disagree with you on baseball and I think most in our league would, at least from the perspective of using games up.  There may be some shortages for various reasons - catcher notably or an infield position where you have a guy that's hurt lots but not IR.  As for pitching, I can't imagine if we had more innings (and heaven help me but wins is the most ridiculous stat in that league). 

Your argument remains largely, and I'm paraphrasing - "I've got a higher level of interest and time to dedicate to the leagues and I find that greater level of involvement far more engaging."  Fair enough and I'm not remotely suggesting you're not correct.  I just don't think most are willing to spend that kind of time.  Frankly I'm amazed that the leagues have continued this long. 

Regardless of my opinion if more people want to change and follow your suggestion I'll go merrily along and continue playing.  I'm only about three years away from more spare time...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Fair enough... I guess that's my argument, although it feels a little spun when you say it that way and I think you're over stating how much time I spend with this stuff.  It's not like I'm spending an hour a day on fantasy sports. 

The leagues are just feeling a little stale and uninteresting to me compared to these other ones I'm in and I was thinking everyone else might enjoy something that (in my humble opinion) has the potential to make everything more engaging and interesting.  Sounds like I was probably mistaken.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Fair enough... I guess that's my argument, although it feels a little spun when you say it that way and I think you're over stating how much time I spend with this stuff.  It's not like I'm spending an hour a day on fantasy sports. 

The leagues are just feeling a little stale and uninteresting to me compared to these other ones I'm in and I was thinking everyone else might enjoy something that (in my humble opinion) has the potential to make everything more engaging and interesting.  Sounds like I was probably mistaken.

I assure you no offense meant so due apologies if it seemed spun.  I guess I was overemphasizing the point. 

Leagues are stale in many respects, aside from football, but that's a lot to do with we all know how each other generally thinks.  I know your, Scott's and Dressel's tendencies frankly from a drafting perspective.  But I think we really need some new blood in many of the league's.  Basketball seemed especially absurd last year as everyone was sporting an absolute all-star team.  I think if hockey or basketball (and baseball for that matter) were ten (or perish the thought) teams deep it would be very different because we wouldn't be sitting there with our benches full of guys that would easily have been drafted in a ten team league and starting.  Put it this way, from a hockey perspective almost no one drafts Winnipeg Jets.  It's not that they don't have anyone that scores, it's just you don't need one of the 5-6 guys that put up 60-65 points because you can fill that with someone better from another team and the league usually isn't deep enough to force you to grab someone like that.  If we were contemplating non-starters in basketball for our lineup or trying to tease out some hockey team's third liner that's putting up points it would be more fun.  Better than what you propose?  Perhaps not.  But much more similar to what we have in football where although not ideal, we at least have hunger each week on the waiver wire and you have to actually consider if you want to give up your top priority for that week's surprise star. 

We just can't seem to generate any interest in getting other people to play.  That sucks. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Too little time is the reason Jeff's not playing hockey anymore (that and he's a scaredy cat).

::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Too little time is the reason Jeff's not playing hockey anymore (that and he's a scaredy cat).

::)

League ID# 6794
password: berry

:-*

miss you.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
All good Brent, I get it - there's only so many minutes in the day and ultimately this is just for kicks on the side anyway. 

Jeff, come back.  You could be the Michael Jordan of Fantasy Hockey... retiring, playing a few awful seasons with the White Sox minor league team, and then coming back to defend your championships.