Author Topic: TRU "Jabba's Rancor Pit" Battle Pack  (Read 28158 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: TRU "Jabba's Rancor Pit" Battle Pack
« Reply #45 on: July 2, 2015, 09:15 AM »
See to me the new TRU one looks like the old Jabba Goo one with a new head. The Walmart one is nice and long with a much better head. No, she didn't say that.  ;)
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 3, 2015, 07:18 PM »
Well, this sucks.  I guess the days of offering multipacks that are either all new or all repacks are over.

Been over for years. Remember that great Snaggletooth that required you to buy a 3 pack with a reissued Fett and Tusken Raider to get him? (unless you bought him from China).
Strangely some people defended that move...the weird love of retro packaging clouds minds.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 5, 2015, 09:38 AM »
Ironically enough, with all of this Jabba discussion, I just had an issue with my home's air conditioning system that may explain why Hasbro went back to the well on Jabba so quickly.

Long story short, my AC broke down about two weeks ago and was out for two days during some pretty hot and humid days with only fans for air circulation. Anyway, even with the AC back running, I checked Jabba out and he was (for lack of a better word) "sweating" on the bottom part of his body. It was as if life was imitating art, as Jabba was literally covered in a layer of slime, which has also covered the top of the dais where he sat.

I was able to clean him and the dais off with warm water, and there was no staining, discoloration, or deterioration noted, but there's no doubt that it was a combination of the rubbery material and the AC failure that led to this happening. 

Maybe Hasbro doing a new one was to get a more durable mold out there, but it sucks that it's in a 130 buck exclusive pack that I have no interest in buying. Oh well, if the past is any indication, they'll use the hell out of this ,old and we will be seeing it again soon enough. Until then, if the 2010 Jabba falls apart (or if my AC decides to be a PITA again), my 2004 Ultra Jabba will be a fine sit-in.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 5, 2015, 08:21 PM »
Well, this sucks.  I guess the days of offering multipacks that are either all new or all repacks are over.

Been over for years. Remember that great Snaggletooth that required you to buy a 3 pack with a reissued Fett and Tusken Raider to get him? (unless you bought him from China).
Strangely some people defended that move...the weird love of retro packaging clouds minds.

Oh yeah...THAT.  I think people seemed inclined to give Hasbro more of a pass on that Target exclusive TVC 3-pack set because of the packaging, a brand new figure, the inclusion of an army builder (Tusken Raider) and Boba Fett (perennial fan favorite) all at a sub $20 price.

With the Jabba / Rancor set?  We're still in somewhat uncharted territory.  This is ONE new figure in a set that's priced at well over $100.  That's where this situation differs so much from the Target exclusive set and is so out of line.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 5, 2015, 11:59 PM »
The 'Scum list the Villains Set at $24.99 retail.  I think many folks waited for clearance. I never found them on such, and just bought one online from someone who probably found the sets on deep discount.

Mostly the reissues in the past were one reissued figure in set of mostly new (a few clone wars sets), with some oddities like that ROTS 9 pack with some silver Vader. Though that was when figures were $5, so a $40 set of 9 figures....seems hard to believe today. Harder to believe that was Kaybees exclusive. I thought they were defunct by then....must be because the one locally had already closed. (2009 when they all folded...)

Ironically enough, with all of this Jabba discussion, I just had an issue with my home's air conditioning system that may explain why Hasbro went back to the well on Jabba so quickly.

Long story short, my AC broke down about two weeks ago and was out for two days during some pretty hot and humid days with only fans for air circulation. Anyway, even with the AC back running, I checked Jabba out and he was (for lack of a better word) "sweating" on the bottom part of his body. It was as if life was imitating art, as Jabba was literally covered in a layer of slime, which has also covered the top of the dais where he sat.

I was able to clean him and the dais off with warm water, and there was no staining, discoloration, or deterioration noted, but there's no doubt that it was a combination of the rubbery material and the AC failure that led to this happening. 

After opening mine up, my impression of the Wal-Mart Jabba was that the rubbery parts felt cheap and won't hold up over time. I'm not surprised. Though, I was expecting the material to tear.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2015, 12:02 AM by Scockery »

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #50 on: July 9, 2015, 02:19 PM »
If you absolutely have to have this set ASAP and don't mind paying the full $130 for it, you can order one now at ToysRus.com.

edit:
Or, if you absolutely, positively have money to flush down the toilet, you can pre-order one for $195 at BBTS:-X
« Last Edit: July 9, 2015, 03:06 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #51 on: July 9, 2015, 07:20 PM »
Whoa ho ho! 

Yeah, even at the $130 I'd not even be willing to pick up that for the bits and pieces I wouldn't mind having more of, much less just for Jabba himself.  I'm sadly most interested in getting another Gammie Guard haha. 

BTW my WM Jabba is not sweating and my room can get uber humid since I don't have central air, just window units.  Humidity/heat have been a problem in my collection room/office for years, one I'm finally finding some solutions to this year.  I checked Jabba and he must've used some Goldbond powder because he was dryer than a popcorn fart.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2015, 03:03 PM »
I just read the great review the JD main page linked to... nice comparison shots with the 2010 Jabba. Of course the new one suffers from shoddy paint apps which is pretty unacceptable for the price. The reviewer does end up recommending the set for people who need the Rancor (aka me) so I'll be picking one of these up when they hit TRU retail.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2015, 07:35 PM »
I feel interested in buying that.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2015, 05:53 AM »
I shared this over at RS.

<Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight07  View Post
So this was really gross and quite surprising: I was comparing my Walmart Jabba from the throne set to the Jabba from the Rancor set. When I picked up the Walmart Jabba I noticed it felt oily, and almost kind of slimy, and looking at the bottom of it you can actually see spots where there are bubbles of oil for lack of a better way to describe it. Is this some super realistic action feature (I know it's not) or is this actually breaking down already? Mine can't be the only one to be doing this. Anyone else experiencing this? It definitely felt like oil on my fingers when I rubbed them together.>

I've been looking for a place to tell this story. My Jabba Walmart sat on his throne on my shelf for a few years until we finally installed a legit collection room to keep my massive figure collection away from our baby that was about to be born last winter. I painstakingly moved a few figures at a time a couple rooms over to their new home, but Walmart Jabba was stuck to his throne, and the tip of his tail was touching Max Rebo's piano and the oily secretion from the tail MELTED the part of the piano it was touching!!! I threw that Jabba away before it destroyed anything else. Funny now that a new Jabba is out, people are finally fondling the old one and discovering this. I moved 2,000 Star Wars and Marvel figures a handful at a time, Jabba was the only figure like this. The only other noteworthy destruction was yellowed VOTC scout troopers and stormies, in a room with no light and climate controlled year round.

Also funny, looked at ebay Walmart Jabba selling for $125-250, yeah right!!! It's worth $0. The throne survived ps, no damage there.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 05:54 AM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2015, 12:47 PM »
Rubber can melt plastic. It's something I've learned from a vintage toy collecting magazine way back, as well as having some rubber treaded Stompers tanks that melted the plastic bin they were stored in!

Yeah, some figures will yellow no matter what. My 2006 Commander Cody is the best (worst) example of that.

In terms of fans noticing flawed pieces of their collections, years ago I noticed  that GI JOE figures from 2002-2005 get cracking torso's from their necks down, but little attention has been  paid to problem to this day (fans moved on to Modern "gen 3" stuff). The problem more or ruined some of my collection, as the only solution would be dismantling the figures.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2015, 08:16 PM »
I just checked my Jabba over and he's fine. no sticky residue on the throne, no oiliness on his underside. I wonder if it's a widespread problem or just a few of them that have these issues.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2015, 11:25 PM »
After reading Dresells description of his Wal-Mart Jabba I had to pull mine out of storage and found it fused to a Max Rebo piano and a cinema scene stand. The piano is ruined and now I don't know what to do with the  Jabba. Very disappointing.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2015, 03:47 PM »
Saw this at Tuesday Morning for $13...wait, that was the Star Wars Command Rancor Revenge set.  :D

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2015, 11:14 PM »
I checked my Jabba and it seems ok.  Not stuck to the dais and not oily.
This is the way.

I have spoken.