Author Topic: Spider-Man Joins the Marvel Movie Universe  (Read 49369 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Spider-Man Joins the Marvel Movie Universe
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2016, 09:48 AM »
Her acting is terrible.  Ideally she won't be dancing a lot in Spiderman, but maybe that's better than her speaking...

Or not.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2016, 10:26 AM »
I think she acts appropriately for the series.  Tween Disney spy thriller isn't really a medium for "good" acting.  I think she has tons of charisma, and with a good director she'll be good in the role.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #47 on: December 9, 2016, 05:30 AM »
First Trailer is out for Spider-Man: Homecoming.

It's going to be a long wait until July.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 9, 2016, 10:56 AM »
Some people are saying too much Robert Downey Junior. Funny, some were people worried RDJ would quit the Marvel movie universe, not he's in it too much. YES, IT'S THE SAME PEOPLE. I HAVE FILES.  :P

Parker's portly pal drops the Lego Death Star...is that a knock a Disney. WE NEED TO ANALYZE EVERY FRAME.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 9, 2016, 11:01 AM »
Wait, why is there another new Spiderman reboot / recast / reimagining?  What was wrong with the last kid?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 9, 2016, 12:26 PM »
Wait, why is there another new Spiderman reboot / recast / reimagining?  What was wrong with the last kid?

Disney/Marvel wanted Spiderman in their films, but Sony owns the rights to him.  They worked out an agreement where they can both use Spiderman and decided it was in everyone's best interests to use the same actor, hence another reboot.  Previous Spidey was an older version and Stark bringing in a teen Spidey was a better fit for the story Marvel wanted to tell.  Tom Holland (age 20) plays Spidey in Captain America Civil War (Marvel Studios) and in Spiderman Homecoming (Sony Pictures).  Andrew Garfield (previous Spidey) is 33.

It's a simple, but brilliant deal in my opinion.  Disney didn't have to pay a dime for him - each studio just shares the rights and keeps 100% of the profits from the films they release.  It's a win-win for everyone - Marvel gets to bring him into their Avengers universe and Sony gets to feed off Marvel's other successful franchises to help make their Spidey movie a bigger success. 

The only odd part is RDJ as Iron Man in a Sony film - I knew he was in it, but figured it was a cameo.  Sure looks like a much bigger role.  I'm a little surprised that Sony gets to use IM, but apparently Marvel negotiated creative control of the film, so it's a lot more like a Marvel Studios movie released under the Sony name.  I wish Marvel and Fox had been able to work out something similar for the Quicksilver character instead of each going their own way.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2016, 12:30 PM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 9, 2016, 04:00 PM »
There was a lot of behind the scenes drama with the last Spider-Man too, from Sony clashing with the scriptwriters to Andrew Garfield pissing off high level Sony execs.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2016, 12:26 AM »

Did you miss the last Captain America movie?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2016, 01:18 PM »
The only odd part is RDJ as Iron Man in a Sony film - I knew he was in it, but figured it was a cameo.  Sure looks like a much bigger role.  I'm a little surprised that Sony gets to use IM, but apparently Marvel negotiated creative control of the film, so it's a lot more like a Marvel Studios movie released under the Sony name.

That's why in the trailer you first see the Sony logo and then you see the Marvel Studios logo. Sony distributes the picture, Marvel Studios gets creative control and makes a Spiderman movie that fits into their larger MCU story, Sony gets a new Spiderman trilogy out of the deal and down the line Marvel gets Spiderman in their other MCU movies.

It was a smart move by Sony. Just look at the "by Studio" indices over at Box Office Mojo and compare the Disney juggernaut verses Sony/Columbia. The top three pictures of Disney made $1.26B (Finding Dory, Civil War & Jungle Book), the top three Sony pictures made $332M - and those three movies are Ghostbusters, Angry Birds and Sausage Party - a poor-to-mediocre reboot that got widely panned and two computer animated movies.

Considering that this is Spiderman and not Doctor Strange or Antman, there is a solid chance that Spiderman: Homecoming will bring in at least $300M which is a win that Sony VERY desperately needs.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2016, 02:28 PM »
Here's a look at the Vulture action figure.  Apologies for the horrible auto-play ads...

http://www.cbr.com/exclusive-first-look-hasbro-spider-man-homecoming-vulture/

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2017, 09:26 AM »
A new poster for Spider-Man:  Homecoming.  It's odd though that they decided to erase a major part of the U.N. building from the New York city skyline for this, though.

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2017, 11:45 AM »
New trailer - can't believe I'm saying this - too much Iron Man? Looks great. Though they pretty much give away the entire story.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2017, 10:41 PM »
Just saw Homecoming...it is another great Marvel movie top to bottom, the way they skipped the whole being bitten by a radioactive Spider etc and another Green Goblin story was really well done

Ties into Civil War and the trademark balance of Humor and Action with dashes of comic lore were again tonally so much better than anything cooking right now in any Movieverse

I also loved Keaton's Vulture...and Holland is so great as Peter Parker...homerun!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2017, 10:42 PM »
New trailer - can't believe I'm saying this - too much Iron Man? Looks great. Though they pretty much give away the entire story.
and this isn't true at all...it's so much more than the trailer

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2017, 08:35 AM »
Just saw Homecoming...it is another great Marvel movie top to bottom, the way they skipped the whole being bitten by a radioactive Spider etc and another Green Goblin story was really well done

Ties into Civil War and the trademark balance of Humor and Action with dashes of comic lore were again tonally so much better than anything cooking right now in any Movieverse

I also loved Keaton's Vulture...and Holland is so great as Peter Parker...homerun!

Great to hear!  I've been seeing a lot of naysayers solely off the trailers (and that it's ANOTHER reboot), but I had a great deal of faith in Marvel Studios.