Author Topic: San Diego Comic-Con 2015  (Read 44515 times)

Offline indysolo007

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: San Diego Comic-Con 2015
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2015, 11:48 AM »
Count me in the "most likely to be disappointed" category. I'm not going to get angry if in the next few hours I see garbage released by hasbro. I'm a long-time collector (since POTF2) and endeavored to have a complete collection of the realistic figures (ie no clone wars animated or rebels). I too have a room designated for my collection that I hoped would grow with a new franchise on the horizon.

I've been one of the people lucky enough to score wave 7 at retail and a complete wave 8 on hts. I feel like the quality has finished greatly in recent waves and feel as though the 3.75 inch line is in its death throes. I was holding out for a resurgence in quality for the Force Awakens with some impressive figures and vehicles. I still have my fingers crossed that in a few hours we may see that.

If we don't, however, I won't rant and rave. I just will end a 20+year hobby. I don't really care too much for the 6 inch line. Very well-done figures and Hasbro should be applauded. I just feel that in the 1980s (when I was a little kid), toy manufacturers moved away from large action figures to the smaller sizes for vehicles/playsets. Star Wars figures pioneered in this as far as I'm concerned. GI Joe and others followers suit (and that line seems to be falling apart outside of the collectors club and a few anniversary figures at TRU).

So to end a nostalgic-based rant, I had a good run with 3.75 inch Star Wars figures and of that ends so be it. My brother collects Marvel Legends/infinite (as well as a few other lines like NECCA) and I will help him for the thrill of the hunt. I'll still have my fingers crossed to see some articulated 3.75 inch figures and ships at 1:30 today (I assume pacific time).

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2015, 12:08 PM »
Hasbro Tweet:
Got a question for the team behind the #Hasbro #StarWars line? Tweet using the hashtag #HasbroSWQ & it may be answered! #HasbroSDCC

Something tells me this will be a great hashtag to watch this afternoon... I'm sure all the #HasbroSWQ tweets will be oh so positive. :P

I'll still have my fingers crossed to see some articulated 3.75 inch figures and ships at 1:30 today (I assume pacific time).

Yep - The Hasbro SW Panel is from noon - 1:00pm Pacific, new reveals will be in the booth at 1:30pm Pacific.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline indysolo007

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2015, 12:16 PM »
I know this is non Star Wars but my favorite tweet was a picture of a mock-up Jurassic World Owen figure with a well sculpted baby taptor pack-in. A comete throwback to the old Jurassic Park figures, that while not the best sculpts weren't terrible for 1994 standards. The old Dinos were amazing and far better than Hasbro's JW attempt.

My brother also buys Transformers and the Combiner Wars figures started out like gangbusters but has devolved into repaints and some really odd choices.

Hasbro is really becoming a rudderless ship. If have to imagine that all the JW figures, Star Wars command sets, angry birds mishap, hero mashers sitting on the pegs is a costly mistake. Their Marvel legends line has really gone in a good direction, whoever is heading up that line needs a pat on the back.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2015, 12:18 PM »
I actually just saw some comments elsewhere where people are now angry they've just realized that it's 1:30 PST. Sigh. Not even kidding.

Not sure what all we'll see today, but I find the expectation that SA 3.75 is dead from so many people very odd. There's no evidence to support it. Hasbro has said it will continue; we see it continuing with the Marvel line into the fall at least, so why continue that and not SW, especially with the support of what will be one of the biggest movies of all time? Hasbro has been coasting the line for YEARS on nothing, and they're going to stop now? Say they do, and I'm wrong, ok. Bring out your pitch forks. I'd be ok personally with something more in the middle articulation wise as others have said. But that aside, let's see what happens. Like Jeff said the uncertainty about all of this has probably fed some of this, but I would never in a million years associate myself with some of the embarrassing commentary going on around some of the sites right now. There is so much more to life than this.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2015, 12:22 PM »
I don't have twitter, but would like to ask again when they plan to release 6" Han in Carbonite in regular packaging.  I'm bummed I can't get this awesome piece, or Salacious Crumb for that matter.  Make the packaging different enough for those that can't make it to the cons or don't luck out when they are on HTS.  They are finally doing it for their shared exclusives with TRU.  Just seems like a win-win since they already have the molds done.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2015, 12:23 PM »
Anyone buy any potato chips or cereal in the last couple years? Less product. More expensive. Is there a gmdefender.com because I feel forced to buy it anyway and would like to gripe.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2015, 12:24 PM »
I actually just saw some comments elsewhere where people are now angry they've just realized that it's 1:30 PST. Sigh. Not even kidding.

Really?  I guess people don't have enough real-world problems to deal with.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2015, 12:32 PM »
Yeah that is sadly evident. I keep seeing words like 'tragedy' and 'disaster' and the like from some of these sites when describing the hobby and it's manifest these people have never experienced true tragedy or disaster. God forbid they ever do, but again I'll just button this up by saying, all this makes my skin crawl. #notwiththatguy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2015, 12:39 PM »
I don't have twitter, but would like to ask again when they plan to release 6" Han in Carbonite in regular packaging.  I'm bummed I can't get this awesome piece, or Salacious Crumb for that matter.  Make the packaging different enough for those that can't make it to the cons or don't luck out when they are on HTS.  They are finally doing it for their shared exclusives with TRU.  Just seems like a win-win since they already have the molds done.

Not sure what you mean about finally doing it with TRU shared exclusives?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2015, 12:45 PM »
I thought I saw a blurb about the Jabba's Rancor Pit set being offered by HTS (possibly another vendor) at Comic Con this week. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2015, 01:04 PM »

Not sure what you mean about finally doing it with TRU shared exclusives?

Examples are (and perhaps I didn't word this well) the Greedo/Han 2 pack and the Rancor/Jabba multipack that were/are at SDCC and TRU.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2015, 01:15 PM »

Really?  I guess people don't have enough real-world problems to deal with.

Nerd Rage about time zone differences just takes the cake.  I may have to tap out based on that alone.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2015, 01:18 PM »
Examples are (and perhaps I didn't word this well) the Greedo/Han 2 pack and the Rancor/Jabba multipack that were/are at SDCC and TRU.

OK, I see what you mean.  The trick there though is that those items were always meant to be TRU retail exclusives. 

They have regular retailer exclusive production runs.  They just found a way to partner up with Entertainment Earth (not HTS) to sell them at the show first so they could call them "SDCC exclusive", even though it's just a regular TRU exclusive item being sold at SDCC first.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 01:18 PM by Jeff »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2015, 01:24 PM »
They have regular retailer exclusive production runs.  They just found a way to partner up with Entertainment Earth (not HTS) to sell them at the show first so they could call them "SDCC exclusive", even though it's just a regular TRU exclusive item being sold at SDCC first.

Got it.  So, would you say in your opinion that is the same for Funko and their various items that are SDCC exclusives and also found at Barnes and Noble, etc?  Maybe that explains that, then.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2015, 01:50 PM »
Funko has some stuff that is limited (2500 or less) and sells out at shows and some stuff that is "first sold" at SDCC with plans to be sold at retail later (like Tyrion at Target or Walgreens or whatever).