Author Topic: UPDATED PICS! Modular Death Star  (Read 86094 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Re: Modular Death Star Dioramas
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2003, 08:57 PM »
Lastly, here are some more "overall" images that show the diorama as it stands now:

To allow the cell door to still be able to open, I had to put an opening thorugh the side exterior wall of the diorama:

In addition, I made a part of this wall completely removable so that the Cell was accessible for play when the whole thing is put together:

The ceiling line for this level also gives you a rough design of what the third (Docking Bay) level's floorplan will look like.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Modular Death Star--2nd level pics!
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2003, 10:09 PM »
That is awesome!  I can't believe how great that looks!  I don't think I've seen a Death Star diorama look so good.  I am most impressed, and thank you for sharing it with us.  All I can say is, WOW!   :o
dustrho

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 3, 2003, 02:44 PM »
Nice work dude!  The exterior panelling is  a touch that just puts this over the top.  Brilliant!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
« Reply #18 on: October 3, 2003, 02:57 PM »
That really looks incredible...

One of the best representations so  far...

Like Nick mentioned that exterior just makes this one much more eye candy than anything else out
Gotta love me or leave me alone....

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #19 on: October 5, 2003, 12:39 AM »
Muftak, again I've gotta say some really outstanding work. Your penchant for detail is amazing, especially in the anteroom near the detention cell. A nice nod to the vintage era with the background. How'd you go about making the computer console? And what's the next step for the Death Star? Keep up the great work!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: October 5, 2003, 02:11 AM »
Yup, definitely great...  Modular DS is an idea I've had for a while too, but in a different format I think.

That's looking darn good...  Keeping it so it fits together JUST right has gotta be a pain but you're keeping it all together great Muftak.

Cool, and looking forward to more photos of the next room(s).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #21 on: October 5, 2003, 06:41 AM »
Amazing Bobb.  Absolutely amazing...  8)

I love what you've done with this level with the limited amount of space you've got to work with.  The anteroom is just awesome, with the computer consoles, elevators (working?), flooring, etc.  And the corridor looks great with the added depth from that sticker you placed at the end of it.  Good idea to increase the size of Leia's cell too, though she's still looking a little uncomfortable lying down on that hard slab...  :P

I think the only suggestion I might have is to hack those silly little gun turrets off, and maybe add a few of those "camera thingees" that Han and Luke were blasting away at.

It's coming along just incredibly Bobb.  Can't wait for the next level.  So, you're going to do the Docking Bay next?  Will it have the small control booth that the droids hung out in?  You change your mind on the conference room yet?!  ;)

So how many hours would you say you're putting in on this project each week, and also - can we hire you to build us one too?!   ;D  (got my checkbook all ready to go!)

Keep up the great work!
« Last Edit: October 5, 2003, 06:44 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 7, 2003, 08:20 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the feedback and support. I'm glad this thing has been a hit within the community.

Matt, I spend about 10 hours a week working on it, give or take. I seem to be able to turn out a level a month so far, but I actually started the project in June, and spent a solid month planning things out level by level so that everything would fit just right. A lot of the work time now is spent on designing the decals, since this is my first opportunity at photoshop-type applications. The plan has always been to finish by December, and that looks like it'll happen.

I'm still looking for something to use as those wall sensors, I've got plenty of room to stick 'em, but I love those little cannons...

The console is built from a foamcore skeleton covered with black posterboard skin. Basically, the leg pieces are two pieces of foamcore joined face-to-face, the back one slightly taller than the front. A third wedge-shaped piece is placed on top at the angle made by the different heights. Then the posterboard covers the joints, with stickers and scavenged car model pieces to complete the look.

The next level to come will be the Docking Level, featuring the Command Office (above Leia's Cell) with an opening/closing door and rotating computer screens. The elevators continue up into the docking level also to give the illusion of a straight ride (though they are non-functional). A curving hallway joins the two sides, with the Docking Bay Doors (and a large decal of the Falcon in Hanar 2037) in the rear center.

I don't think I could build another Death Star, though. This one was all about seeing my wishlist of rooms and features come to life, someone else would want other things and <poof> the magic would be gone for me.

(Of course, if enough money were offered, I'd stop being an idealist real quick...)  ;)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #23 on: October 7, 2003, 09:12 PM »
I don't think I could build another Death Star, though...

(Of course, if enough money were offered, I'd stop being an idealist real quick...)  ;)

:'(  :'(  OK, but if I hit the lottery bigtime in the near future, I'm still gonna come-a knockin', Bobb!  :-*

The plan has always been to finish by December, and that looks like it'll happen.

Cool!  Merry Christmas to us!  Good enough gift for me just to take a long, sweet gander at your completed project!  Though insane jealousy probably isn't the best trait to be displaying around the Holidays, now is it...   :-\

Thanks for the pix and info as always Bobb.  Good luck with Level 3!

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2003, 09:43 PM »
At long last, here's a look at level three, starting with the Command Office:

(I made the Han and Luke storimes as well!)

Door closed...

...amd open.

Also, there's a knob built in that turns to allow the image on the main computer screen to change...

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2003, 09:49 PM »
Next we have the main hallway outside the Hangar Bay itself:

this is the other side of the Command Office doorway, which actually connects out into the hall:

and the elevator hub:

I originally designed this level to have a guardrail around the large open area in the hallway, but it got way too cluttered looking so I removed it.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2003, 09:55 PM »
Lastly, here are some pictures that show the entire diorama as it stands now:

It's about half the height of the finished project now, to give you a better idea of the scale of wha I'm shooting for. Level 4, which is already well underway, contains Tarkin's control room (with more changing screen images) and a hallway with a closing blast door. Look for more pictures soon!!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 10:00 PM by Muftak »

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Modular Death Star--NEW 3RD LEVEL!!
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2003, 09:59 PM »
impressive... most impressive. it's the little details that make it so awesome, like the ability to change the monitor screens. too cool... great job...

Offline Valtar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Impressive... Most Impressive.
    • View Profile
    • Valtarz Customz 'n' Artz
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2003, 11:00 PM »

That Says it all!

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2003, 05:20 PM »
muftak,
the third level is looking awesome. great detailing all around. about the changing of images in the control room, is the knob connected to a wheel that has the images on it, how'd you go about doing that? I noticed on the 3rd floor that you aligned the elevator hub with the shaft on the 2nd floor, any plans to make a working lift? also how is the stability of the set holding up?  keep up the great job!

happy customizing!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot