Author Topic: 2015 SDCC 6" First Order Stormtrooper  (Read 19648 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 SDCC 6" First Order Stormtrooper
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2015, 04:31 PM »
Half of me is super annoyed by this and gets where all of you are coming from, and the other half of me thinks to hell with it... it's a COMIC CON exclusive, and if we couldn't get one from our desks a few days later, what grievance to we really have here?

It's not like this figure isn't going to be available in droves when the movie launches, the only real reason to want this is for the packaging.

Good way of looking at things, Rob.  I've certainly gotten past caring about exclusive packaging for the most part.  I guess with this piece it was more about getting *SOMETHING* from the new trilogy.  We've had to wait so long to see anything at all that it got people into a frenzy about this new Stormtrooper, myself included.

This Stormtrooper is going to be everywhere eventually.  And probably for less money.  Packaging?  It's just more cardboard to deal with.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2015, 04:49 PM »
This Stormtrooper is going to be everywhere eventually.  And probably for less money.  Packaging?  It's just more cardboard to deal with.

And ultimately, that's going to bring the eBay price for this version down.  People who just want the figure will grab the regular edition and demand for the exclusive will go down. 

Not to mention that the 2015 SDCC packaged version will be sold at a convention in Germany in September, so that will put more of them into circulation after the big 9/4 glut.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2015, 05:10 PM »
I could care less about the packaging.  I would have opened mine if I was able to get one.  I just really like the design and for me its worth the extra $5 to get it now versus waiting a few more months.  I'm not that bothered that I didn't get it honestly because this one will be available (loose) elsewhere unlike the past few exclusives.  That said, I do wish there was a better system for the people that really want the packaging.  I used to be a die hard completest with packages, so I know how it feels to have that hole in your collection.  Like Jeff said, hopefully there are some good prices to be had via Ebay over the next month for anyone who really wants this version.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 11:39 PM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2015, 05:12 PM »
sigh.

I hate come off as the bitter, angry fan, but I am so that's how it comes out.  :P

I spent ALL morning waiting for them to put these ******* up until I literally could not do it anymore and was forced to reintegrate myself into the family for a fun outing. Crazy huh? How dare I take my eyes off their stupid website and attempt to have a normal life for thirty minutes. Of course I missed it, even though there are plenty of their other crappy exclusives left like that gi joe thing, goddamit.

The only people profiting from this asinine arrangement are ******* scalpers. I really am now of the opinion that they should outright cancel any more exclusives like this in the future. It only serves to piss off their most diehard fans. And Hasbro has their head up their ass because they could have sold a **** ton more of these if they had bothered to crank out more then whatever that feeble initial order was. Lose lose, geniuses.

Yes, the packaging means that much time me because I am a capital C Completist and now I have to shell out 3 or 4 times what this POS is worth because they couldn't be bothered to make enough to even remotely meet the demand. and it was more like 3 minutes that it sold out in, not even ten.

Apologies for all the bile, but I had to get that out of my system. I realize it is just a stupid toy, and I understand the concept behind convention variants, but there are much, much better ways to handle this. I will give 2 examples:

Patience is going to be your friend.  Like Jeff mentioned, first you'll have the regular one coming out eventually (no way they're not going to sell the main army builder in stores) and that'll drive down the price of the same thing with the fancy packaging.  Second, Han in Carbonite eventually showed up for $80, which was about half of what it was going for until that moment.  I managed to score Jabba through HTS, so I'm not sure where that ended up, but I think I recall BBTS having them for a reasonable price at some point too.

Funko had several ReAction figure exclusives at sdcc this year. Among them were unmasked Flash and Green Arrow, and the hole in head T-1000. After sdcc the first two were available at Barnes and Noble and the latter at Toys R Us. They made enough so that everyone had a crack at them for a fair price and in turn this helped keep the Secondary market prices down across the board.

But then there was also the Hook-Armed T-1000, which is getting about $40 shipped on eBay and isn't going to hit stores since it was limited to 500 pieces. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 05:17 PM by Rob »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2015, 05:15 PM »
^^^

...and technically we are getting the Stormtrooper at other outlets, just at a later date with different packaging.  I'm much more bothered about the Dr Strange Box Set, since the Marvel stuff doesn't seem to get repacked.  It's one thing to miss out on packaging, but quite another to miss out the character entirely.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2015, 09:20 PM »
Hasbro was quite hosed on exclusives years back...  Collectors demanded outlets for con stuff, got it, and they were taking a bath on stuff.  This is a two-way street.  Like I've been saying, at least they didn't make the actual toy exclusive in some way.  You think this was bad, try being an IJ fan several years back.  That was fun.

This is all a marketing thing.  Thus this toy's hype was started on actual news outlets, not fan sites.  I feel bad for people that really wanted it and missed it, but there is always the argument that the people at sdcc went through worse to get theirs so why should they not get something special?  I don't know how much I agree with that but I can see the point. 

And while I know people want them to can stuff like this all together, Hasbro has a business to run and I think they'll always look at a hype machine like this as business first and collectors 2nd.  But to be fair to them, they tried hard by making it packaging only.  They've danced on that edge for years leading up to this. 

I agree wholeheartedly with Rob/Jeff too that a number or factors will drop prices.  He'll my friend for one for $90 to his door weeks ago.  That is $60 above its cost.  How much is $60 worth to you I guess?  I have never paid above retail for a modern toy, but one I want and didn't buy years back is on my radar now.  I may have to cave.

I wish hasbro could give everyone one who wanted one, and not be stuck with any beyond that.  That's never happened in this line's history though, that I can think of.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2015, 10:23 AM »
Here's Asia's supply of 6" First Order Stormtroopers -

SDCC 2015 Exclusive Star Wars The Black Series First Order Storm Trooper ($60).

These are the same guys that were used to release the past SDCC 6" figure sets to the Asia market.  In fact, they still have SDCC 2013 Fett/Carbonite ($100) and SDCC 2014 Jabba/Crumb ($90) in-stock. 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2015, 10:48 AM »
Now if I could find a Toy Fair silver Vader....I should have bought that one when I had a chance all those years ago.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2015, 12:18 PM »
Now if I could find a Toy Fair silver Vader....I should have bought that one when I had a chance all those years ago.

Another example of exclusives coming down in price with time... They were like $150 back in the day.  There are carded Toy Fair Vaders that have sold for $20 and $30 in the last month or so.  If you look, you can get those for a completely reasonable price now. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 12:18 PM by Rob »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2015, 05:46 PM »
Yeah, just wait 13 years for the price to come down.   ;)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2015, 06:32 PM »
Yeah, just wait 13 years for the price to come down.   ;)

I got one for $45 (from Jared if I remember right) and that had to be 7 or 8 years ago.

But yes, with exclusives you'll pay more the closer to the original release.

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2015, 12:08 AM »
I was there on Preview night and everyone was getting the Trooper, most were Re-seller's. Some people were selling them to the people that couln't get in the line on time and were pushed out.
He's no good to me open

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 3, 2015, 11:50 AM »
HTS hasn't bothered to ship my Stormtrooper yet. They were suppose to ship on 7/29. It is still sitting at not shipped status. I think they need more trained monkeys.
« Last Edit: August 4, 2015, 09:16 AM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 3, 2015, 11:54 AM »
Have they listed more at any point yet?  I've been checking occasionally and haven't seen anything.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 3, 2015, 12:12 PM »
Have they listed more at any point yet?  I've been checking occasionally and haven't seen anything.

No, I've been checking several hundred times throughout the day and night since they sold out, and they have never come back into stock.  :(
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy