Author Topic: Solo (SPOILER FREE)  (Read 9495 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: Solo (SPOILER FREE)
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 05:36 PM »
Is it really possible for 10,000+ IMDb raters to have seen "Solo" already?

I'm too lazy to research the release dates, but I assume if Europe follows the US methodology of releasing today at 7PM they've had two-ish showings per screen by now.  Seems high, but who knows.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 09:11 AM »
Saw it last night.  Went in with an open mind as I was very skeptical of this movie.  I was thoroghly entertained.  My 14 year old said it was one of his favorite SW movies (I wouldn't go that far).  I thought that Donald Glover nailed it as Lando.  He was by far my favorite character.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 07:39 PM »
I grabbed the Solo Blu Ray today, the Target exclusive version with a 40 page book. I probably won't get around to watching it for a while, but I should to see if my thoughts on it have changed.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2018, 10:42 AM »
I picked it up at Best Buy yesterday.  The kids were waiting for me to get home from work so they could watch it!

I have to admit, I like this movie way more than I thought I would....Ron Howard did a great job pulling this together.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2018, 04:54 PM »
I picked it up on DVD today and I watched it a couple of more times on long flights the other day.  I think I've seen it four times and still think its an enjoyable watch.

Anybody watch the extras to see if there are interesting scenes that got cut, interesting commentary, or outtakes from the first set of directors that show the difference in style?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 04:55 PM by Dave »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2018, 10:50 AM »
I got the Target version of the movie.  I've watched it a couple of times, and it definitely holds up well to multiple viewings.

The extras are great.  I really liked 'Kasdan on Kasdan' as well as the Directors Roundtable with the cast.  It's pretty cool to see the cast talk about making the movie with one another while sitting around the Sabacc table from the Lodge.  The Chewbacca featurette was pretty awesome, too.  Seeing Chewie exercise some serious Wookiee physicality at long last was great to see.  Joonas Suotomo really seems to get the character.  And knowing that there was actual translated dialogue written for Chewie in order for Han to play off of it was a bit of attention to detail that I appreciated.

The deleted scenes were interesting, but I understood why they got cut.  The foot chase on Corellia didn't really advance the story during that sequence.  As for Han's flight infraction and tribunal?  I liked that bit, but it seemed like it might have made the first act drag a little bit.  Too bad, because Tag and Bink were in the Tribunal scene!

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2019, 09:16 AM »
Solo - A Star Wars Story got an Oscar nomination!  The movie was nominated in the Visual Effects category.

Also, check out this ABC News behind the scenes look at how the team at ILM realized the Summa-Verminoth space creature that the Millennium Falcon encountered during the Kessel Run.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2019, 09:50 AM »
Typical nomination for a Star Wars film.  It should win easily on the Kessel Run sequence.
This is the way.

I have spoken.