Author Topic: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS)  (Read 210668 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS)
« on: July 10, 2015, 10:06 AM »
Heroic Hollywood is reporting that a director has been named for Episode IX, and it will be Colin Trevorrow.  He's coming off of the very successful Jurassic World, and his role as director of Episode IX is set to be announced at SDCC 2015 today during the Star Wars presentation in Hall H.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 01:23 PM by Jeff »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Star Wars Episode IX
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 11:58 AM »
I like Trevorrow, and loved Safety Not Guaranteed, but JW didn't really do it for me. That being said he knows his way around a big budget blockbuster and his name has been in circulation since the beginning, so it would be no surprise at all.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 12:53 PM »
Terrible move, if true. We're talking about a guy who has directed ONE blockbuster movie, and like three total movies overall in his entire career. Yeah, that one blockbuster made a boatload of cash, it was a pretty bad movie when it comes down to the contents.

But hey, a random female character will probably die in a long, ridiculous, and overexaggerated manner, so we'll have that.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 12:53 PM by Diddly »
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 06:24 PM »
But hey, a random female character will probably die in a long, ridiculous, and overexaggerated manner, so we'll have that.

This.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 09:37 PM »
I wish Abrams was just doing the whole trilogy...

Disney spent a lot of money, so they're expecting to make a lot of money... I honestly think we're about to see Star Wars go from a special thing that you can't wait for, to a watered down annual event that gets stale pretty quickly. 

Five movies have already been announced and the directors are all over the map.  I just hope that someone is maintaining a vision of how this is all going to come together or stay consistent, and I hope that at least 7-8-9 meets expectations, even if the spin-offs are spin-offy.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 10:29 PM »
Disney/Lucasfilm finally confirms the rumor that's been floating around all summer - Colin Trevorrow will direct Star Wars: Episode IX.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 04:07 PM »
So what happens after Episode IX? Do we get anthology movies after that? Do we get a new series that isn't based on the Skywalker family? Star Wars needs as many movies as the Marvel Cinematic Universe gets.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 06:16 PM »
I think that all depends on how well the new trilogy is received. And that means with fans, the mainstream movie audience, and overall profits. 

Feedback

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 3, 2015, 06:51 AM »
I agree with you guys completely! They need to hire a director who has experience and a filmography which includes lots of blockbusters! Otherwise Episode VI will tank. I mean who the hell is Richard Marquand anyway??????

;)
"Pixelated beings are we, not this crude matter!"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 05:34 PM »
Check out this Star Wars News Net article that touches on some of the possibilities of how Lucasfilm and Disney may deal with the passing of Carrie Fisher.  It even goes so far to say that Disney may be in contact with Carrie Fisher's estate in order to secure her likeness rights.

I take this as half rumor/half Disney making a play to secure these rights in the event that Lucasfilm decides to go in this direction.  I don't take this as confirmation that Lucasfilm wants to make a CGI Carrie Fisher for Episode IX, but that they want to have that option open to them.  All of that being said, the idea doesn't sit too well with me since it's only been a short time since Carrie Fisher passed.

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 06:05 PM »
I saw a story that she cried when she saw her likeness in Rogue One.  I hope they are able to do her legacy with star wars justice.

I can see then using her likeness to give her a valiant death early in Episode IX...if she were in the entire movie, that would be a bit much imho.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 06:11 PM »
Disney is denying it as of today:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jan/13/carrie-fisher-disney-negotiating-for-digital-rights-star-wars

I seriously doubt anyone is bothering her family over something like this now. IX starts filming a year from now so they have plenty of time to work out what to do with Leia. If that involves some kind of digital anything, then there is enormous amounts of time to work that out. There is no need for them to even go there now without any understanding of what they would be using or if they would be using it, especially with a script that is likely nowhere near complete.

As for what I'd like to see done with Leia personally, I really don't know. There are no good options. One is to recast her, which I think is a non-starter. Another is the digital route, which depending on how necessary Leia is to the resolution - I'd think very - may be the only option. The last would be to simply kill her offscreen (cheap and unfulfilling) or let her disappear out of the narrative (on a mission to such and such) also cheap and unfulfilling. It's going to be a tough decision for them to make.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 06:58 PM »
I would expect Disney to deny the story.  From a PR/fan relations standpoint it would look insensitive.  But I think there's the possibility that the Disney brass having seen ROGUE ONE might consider a digital Leia an option. 

I would also think that the Episode IX crew is trying to get a final script together so that preproduction can get underway.  These movies take a while to make, and having to work around a major character like this is a big deal. Part of me has been wondering if they're going to rework Episode 8, but I don't know if that's even a reasonable option. 

To say that this situation is complicated is a tremendous understatement. 

EDIT:

I'm relieved to see that The Official Site has posted the following statement:

JANUARY 13, 2017
A Statement Regarding New Rumors

We don’t normally respond to fan or press speculation, but there is a rumor circulating that we would like to address. We want to assure our fans that Lucasfilm has no plans to digitally recreate Carrie Fisher’s performance as Princess or General Leia Organa.

Carrie Fisher was, is, and always will be a part of the Lucasfilm family. She was our princess, our general, and more importantly, our friend. We are still hurting from her loss. We cherish her memory and legacy as Princess Leia, and will always strive to honor everything she gave to Star Wars.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 08:31 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 10:59 PM »
I'm glad to see the statement too and I think the sensitivity of the issue warranted it. I think it also likely means Leia will exit the series in VIII and they'll rework the ending somehow to accommodate that. I just think there's too many hurdles otherwise to achieve what apparently was a substantial role in IX. Breaks my heart having to talk about any of this really.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 01:06 PM »
Maybe she dies of a broken heart?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours