Author Topic: Disney "Star Wars Elite Series" Die-Cast Figures  (Read 46433 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Disney "Star Wars Elite Series" Die-Cast Figures
« on: July 23, 2015, 01:56 PM »
Interesting news from D23 today...

Disney Store will launch an exclusive collection of Star Wars items at D23 EXPO on Friday, August 14. The collection will feature apparel, collectibles, and toys, including the Star Wars Elite Series, a new line of highly articulated and detailed die cast action figures, representing characters from Star Wars Episodes I-VI. The action figures will be sold individually at Disney Store locations beginning later this year; however, D23 EXPO attendees have the opportunity to purchase the full set of Star Wars Elite Series action figures, which includes D23 EXPO-exclusive versions of R2-D2 and C-3PO.

Highly articulated die-cast action figures?  No mention of price or scale though... 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Disney "Star Wars Elite Series" Die-Cast Figures
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 10:37 AM »
Hopefully the quality is better than their die-cast ships.  The ships look nice, but the "play" features like rotating guns, landing gear, etc are... lacking.  The X-Wing for example looks great, except for the plastic parts, mainly the cannons.  Bent and warped and fragile.  The landing gear on the X-Wing, Snow Speeder and Falcon are all crap.  Still, for $8, they are pretty cool toys and my son loves them.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 11:06 AM »
I'm not an action figure expert, but are there examples of well done die cast figures out there to know what might even be possible?

This just doesn't sound interesting to me...

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 11:28 AM »
There are things like Hasbro's Titanium Series Forged figures... though I would not have called those "highly articulated". 

There was a line of 8" hyper-detail die cast from Japan

At the very high end, you have stuff like Bandai's Perfect Model Chogokin C-3PO.

I think someone in Japan is also doing a new die-cast line... here we go - Metal Collection (Metacolle) Star Wars #01 Darth Vader by Takara Tomy

Lots of stuff out there, mostly overseas though...  it's an interesting concept but usually "highly articulated" and "die cast" don't go well together without some plastic in there too.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 11:29 AM by Jeff »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 03:22 PM »
From Twitter.  Still no confirmation on how articulated or what scale they are...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 03:36 PM »
Just eyeballing they appear larger than 4" (figs are about 1/20 scale not 1/18) and smaller than 6"...  I'd say these are perhaps in the 1/15 or 1/16 realm, just by looking at them with little reference. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 04:16 PM »
A hand is roughly 6" and they look to be about the size of the hand to me.  IT would make sense for them to go with more 6" figures vs. a new scale, but we'll see...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: September 4, 2015, 01:00 AM »
Looks like these are scaled to be a 6.5" line - some are slightly smaller (Rey = 6") and some are larger (Phasma = 7.25").  The TFA wave is up on the DisneyStore.com now - $24.95 each.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 4, 2015, 11:40 AM »
Phasma looks a little big to fit with 6" B.S. line.  Rey could fit and the BB8 looks much better, but she would dwarf 6" Leia. The Stormtrooper looks like a good fit though. Very similar sized to Hasbros.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 4, 2015, 12:57 PM »
Thanks to Justin for the "review" of these.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 01:57 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 6, 2015, 10:18 AM »
Thanks to Justin for the "review" of these. I grabbed a Stormtrooper and a Flametrooper. Really want a Phasma.

That Stormtrooper is awesome.  I have to recant my assessment after opening them though.  They don't really fit in with the other 6" figures at all (except BB8).  I grabbed Phasma, Stormtrooper, and Rey, and they're all just too big next to the 6" figures.  The Stormtrooper is close, but his head looks huge next to Black Series.  Rey looks like an amazon and Phasma is even bigger than the regular stormies. 

They're still cool with a ton of detail and much more articulation than I expected.  I'll probably grab a few more (OT Stormtrooper, Fett, and Vader are musts), but won't replace my BS characters with them. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 6, 2015, 10:54 AM »
I got to hang out with Arnie & Marjorie from SWAN yesterday afternoon, and they were telling me a little bit about the Disney Elite figures.  Arnie was really impressed with them, and I think he's probably going to say as much on the next SWAN podcast.  And he also told me that the D23 C-3PO and R2-D2 set is a pretty hot commodity already.

I was pretty impressed with seeing these on the Global Unboxing event last week.  I would still like to see these in stores, of course.  Phasma seems to have caught the eye of many a fan, and I think that she's being put forth as the new cool baddie.  The stylistic nods to Boba Fett are pretty clear, like the cloak and the blaster.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 06:39 PM »
I saw the ELITE SERIES Kylo Ren today at my local Disney store.  And it looks pretty cool!  Each of these figures are $24.95 each.

There was also a release schedule for more pieces that are due in the series:

SEPTEMBER 28th:  Episode I - Darth Maul
OCTOBER 12th:  Episode II - Anakin Skywalker
OCTOBER 26th:  Episode III - General Grievous
NOVEMBER 9th:  Episode IV - Stormtrooper
NOVEMBER 23rd:  Episode V - Darth Vader
DECEMBER 7th:  Episode VI - Boba Fett
DECEMBER 18th:  Episode VII - Character TBA
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 12:13 AM »
If anyone's interested in packaging variations, a case of the Stormtroopers at MOA Disney came sealed in Kylo Ren boxes.  We found about a third of them with the Ren package on 9/4.

You can also sign up to receive an email reminder when the new figures come out at each Disney Store.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 10:10 AM »
Super disappointed to hear how limited these are going to be. Would be nice if the release dates could be on weekends
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within