Author Topic: Windows 10 ISO available  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Windows 10 ISO available
« on: July 29, 2015, 10:45 AM »
Microsoft has released a tool for downloading and setting up the windows 10 iso on a flash drive. I guess it will also install windows 10 on any Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 machine.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/4909/microsoft-delivers-windows-10-on-iso
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 ISO available
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 12:21 AM »
Is Windows 10 worth downloading? I stopped keeping up with software after I graduated college and couldn't get it for free anymore.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 08:25 AM »
What are you running now?

The initial reports I read were that the first release is a bit buggy.  You have 1 year to download it for free.  I'm gonna wait a bit until it's patched, and my employer confirms I can use it to remote in to work.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 10:07 AM »
Considering it has been released to 190 countries, the deployment is running really well. I haven't experience any problems with the in place upgrade.  There are some huge benefits to upgrading from 7 or 8 to this. Start menu back. Multiple desktops. New notification system. Cortana search (like Siri for desktop). Camera login. The new Edge browser. It's free for everyone on Windows 7, 8 or 8.1.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 11:01 AM »
I just bought a new computer and it came with 8.1, so I can't wait to upgrade.  I've been using Classic Shell in the meantime, which helped, but I learned that 8 is as ****** as everyone says.

So with that in mind, I couldn't wait to upgrade - I downloaded 10 this morning, it was running the upgrade when I left for work.  I didn't have to mess with downloading an ISO or anything like that, it just gave me the message this morning that it was ready to go whenever I was.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 03:02 PM »
I have two relatively new machines each running Windows 8.  I hate it so I'll probably look to do the upgrade soon... I'll be curious to see how long it takes all of you to get it up and running.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 06:47 PM »
I'm also sitting on my ass waiting to see what others stumble upon.  Never first up the trail.

As it is they put out a security update that's freezing win 7 machines last week that pissed me off insanely.  Download, and during the reboot process, your machine freezes.  Totally f'n stupid and I had to ultimately shut off auto updates till they fix their fix.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 11:01 PM »
I'm also sitting on my ass waiting to see what others stumble upon.  Never first up the trail.

As it is they put out a security update that's freezing win 7 machines last week that pissed me off insanely.  Download, and during the reboot process, your machine freezes.  Totally f'n stupid and I had to ultimately shut off auto updates till they fix their fix.

I'm running Win7 and I get about 20 minutes before the computer freezes.  It's annoying as hell.  I've spent the evening backing up files and I'm going to reinstall the operating system tomorrow.  It's been so aggravating I may opt to upgrade to Win10 immediately even though I should know better.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 02:09 AM »
I don't DL much and am generally careful...  So yeah.  I've backed up stuff recently because of that as well, but I'm not pissing with a reinstall and stuff.  I'd like to jump right into 10 but I'm reluctant because MS is MS, and MS likes to put out product riddled with tech crabs.

BTW, not a huge mac guy, just know I've been down buggy update lane before.  And to have one, a security one that was important and all, do this right before the 10 update?  Yeah, kinda ****** timing to sour me and make me nervous.

I didn't like "new" Windows either...  The kids have it on their gaming rig, which as the family's IT guy, I f'n hate to fix.  Between them screwing things up on their own, and using an OS I just didn't dig, I hate it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 02:11 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 09:11 AM »
What are you running now?

Windows 7, but I just reset my system to factory settings a few weeks ago. I don't have any freezing issues with any security updates? *knocks on wood*
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 01:21 PM »
I was running Windows 7 until about two weeks ago and didn't have any problems.