Author Topic: Fear the Walking Dead  (Read 142601 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Fear the Walking Dead
« on: August 2, 2015, 09:38 AM »
3 weeks!!!!!!
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Fear the Walking Dead
« Reply #1 on: August 3, 2015, 08:55 AM »
They've been showing ads during Halt & Catch Fire and Humans.  It's looking like it will be pretty good!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 3, 2015, 10:37 AM »
Can't wait.  It's been way too long since I've head some zombie goodness.  Of course, I'm sure we'll have to sit through a few episodes of set up before we get to the good stuff.   :-\
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 08:46 PM »
Took til tonight to get excited, but I'm ready. I'm really hoping for something along the lines of the first half of World War Z. Great Panic and all that, maybe even the Battle of Yonkers.

Will there be toys?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 06:43 AM »
Um...... so........ meh.........

I know they had to build up some back story, but that was a long 90 minutes and I'm not sure it invested me in the characters at all as I assume they were hoping.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 09:03 AM »
Um...... so........ meh.........

That was my general reaction as well.  I liked the three "zombie scenes" but the rest was a snoozer.   Frankly, the most interesting part for me was the montage clip of coming this season at the end.  Show still has some promise but it wasn't as gripping as original walking dead premier.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 09:20 AM »
Agreed, all the cliched junkie stuff grew tiresome quickly. Too much afterschool special. With only 6 episodes I had hope they would hit the ground running a little more.

I would have to assume all these people are now dead by the time the current show airs. Unless they suddenly got a lot smarter.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 09:41 AM »
I was pumped until the last few minutes of Talking Dead before the show when the producer dude was like "The reason people will like this show is because they know more than the characters!" Umm, no. The reason I was looking forward to it is because this is essentially Walking Dead that isn't tied to the comic, meaning we have no idea what will happen with the characters. Literally anything can happen and anyone can die! I was also looking forward to the possibility of learning what started the outbreak. But that line made it seem like they didn't understand the audience at all.

I mean I'll stick with it unless it gets REALLY bad (plus the 22 year old girl playing a high schooler is attractive enough for a few watches) but not a great start.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:43 AM by Diddly »
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 12:03 PM »
Yeah, I agree with the general sentiment.  Druggie dude was super annoying.  The whole "he's on drugs so nobody believes him" thing was lame.  Ivy league super genius sister girl was annoying.  Step-dad was annoyingly earnest.  I'm looking forward to the lot of them dying.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 05:36 PM »
I enjoyed it.  We needed a set-up episode, and these people have no clue what is going on yet.  It should be interesting where they go from here.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 06:51 PM »
I agree with the general sentiments here as well.

The only take-away that I thought was interesting was the fact that the Boyfriend/Step-dad character (sorry, I don't remember anyone's names) showed some serious balls by going into that church by himself. Yeah, part of it was probably just "blind courage" but minimally, it could have been a drug addict on a really bad trip, violently lashing out - either way (walker or dude high on bath salts) - he still was willing to put himself into harms way for the sake of his family.

Kind of gives insight that he's a resourceful, survivor type, so that way when it comes to the end of the six weeks and he's still alive we're not left thinking "how the hell did the high school teacher survive?!?!"

And for anyone not liking the drug-addict son of the female lead - I'm pretty sure I caught a shot of him with a bite on his foot in the coming attractions, so his days are probably numbered. Would make sense, even if they wanted the show to be about a "family unit" and how they survive a zombie apocalypse, that unit could simply be the two leads, the female lead's daughter and the male lead's son from his previous marriage.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:52 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 08:37 PM »
To paraphrase Dr. Ian Malcom:
You do plan on having ZOMBIES on your ZOMBIE show?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 09:20 PM »
I agree with the general sentiments here as well.

The only take-away that I thought was interesting was the fact that the Boyfriend/Step-dad character (sorry, I don't remember anyone's names) showed some serious balls by going into that church by himself. Yeah, part of it was probably just "blind courage" but minimally, it could have been a drug addict on a really bad trip, violently lashing out - either way (walker or dude high on bath salts) - he still was willing to put himself into harms way for the sake of his family.

Kind of gives insight that he's a resourceful, survivor type, so that way when it comes to the end of the six weeks and he's still alive we're not left thinking "how the hell did the high school teacher survive?!?!"

And for anyone not liking the drug-addict son of the female lead - I'm pretty sure I caught a shot of him with a bite on his foot in the coming attractions, so his days are probably numbered. Would make sense, even if they wanted the show to be about a "family unit" and how they survive a zombie apocalypse, that unit could simply be the two leads, the female lead's daughter and the male lead's son from his previous marriage.

Here's a perfect example of what Scott Gimple was talking about us knowing more than the characters.  Travis went to the old church just thinking his junkie soon-to-be-stepson may have seen something, but his account is unreliable because he's an addict.  He didn't expect more than a bunch of strung out junkies zoning out after their fixes.  We know there was at least one zombie in their earlier, because we know what's coming.  They don't....and their primary source to the "there's something odd going on here" plotline is a junkie.

Now, when they see Calvin...that's the game changer.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 09:43 PM »
Likewise on the slow, but truthfully that was expected so I can buy into it.  I liked how the fat internet nerd kid understood what was coming.  Good nerd nod. 

The rest of the characters?  Nope, not invested after that at all.  None I'm too worried about losing at all and the only one seemingly with enough going for them to survive is the step-dad dude, the rest should be fodder unless they show something real soon. 

Gotta tell you, after seeing the drug dealer zombie I'm picking up the handgun on principal alone. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 12:09 AM »
Gotta tell you, after seeing the drug dealer zombie I'm picking up the handgun on principal alone.

What for...the principal character wasn't that bad, maybe a little clueless as to what's going on, at least he called a half-day.  ;)

I think they could've shaken things up more. Like the dealer NOT turning after dying...making us wonder if whatever hasn't progressed that far (to turning all the dead into undead). But that would risk revealing something about the cause, which they are adamant not to do, because blah-blah-mystery-blah-it would only disappoint-blah. Really, this show cannot reveal much besides a doomed L.A. (or who knows, maybe LA contains the problem and becomes a haven  :P )