Author Topic: Fear the Walking Dead  (Read 142610 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Fear the Walking Dead
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2015, 10:26 AM »
Haven't had a chance to check out this show yet, so I thought I'd pop in here to see if I need to hurry up and get on board or if it's ok to wait and binge when more eps are complete.

I think I've come to the conclusion that I don't really like any of the characters on this show.

I have no emotional investment in any character yet. That concerns me

Hmmm...  maybe I'll wait it out a bit more. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2015, 06:17 PM »
It would interesting if FTWD turned out to be an anthology season show, like American Horror Story. Next season a whole new group of characters, maybe even location.

But I doubt they'd be that creative.

The neighbor husband coming home to almost be a victim was almost comical. Because BOOM! (hey, man, nice shot), the army shows up like the Umbrella corporation at the end of the first Resident Evil movie. No one heard them, they just appear as if teleported in.

I expect that plane to crash, instead it leered off course.

Only 3 episodes left....not sure why they ordered so few...as if they weren't sure about it. TWD's 1st season had that many, but it was an unproven concept.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2015, 07:19 PM »
He was gonna steal his dead Asian neighbor's pills.  I'm pretty sure when his sister saw that empty bottle that it was him who scarfed them down.

I thought the wife OD's on them.  That would explain why she died.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2015, 11:14 AM »
I expect that plane to crash, instead it leered off course.

I'll bet good money that the plane is the one featured in the "Zombies on a Plane" single-episode they announced.  It's supposed to take place just as the zombie plague breaks out.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2015, 02:49 PM »
That barber is the best character so far. "Good people are the first to die." He would fit in well with Rick and Co.

I think the Mom's "distant, concerned stare" is going to become a meme similar "stuff n thangs," "CORAL," and "M'ask you sumthin."
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2015, 11:52 PM »
That barber is the best character so far. "Good people are the first to die." He would fit in well with Rick and Co.

I think the Mom's "distant, concerned stare" is going to become a meme similar "stuff n thangs," "CORAL," and "M'ask you sumthin."

I like the barber best as well, though I think his "weak" comment is going to come back to haunt him very shortly.  His wife is done.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2015, 11:05 AM »
You'd think when the national guard walked up, you'd tell them "oh yeah, this woman with us has necrosis from a crushed foot and is gonna die soon - little help?"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2015, 04:00 PM »
I liked this last episode and agree that some of the scenes are really cool.  The hospital patient in the parking lot was awesome.  Wish we were getting a little more of that.  I really like the concept, but also not really vested in any of the characters.  Maybe the mom and the barber, and obviously the hot daughter.  I'm getting really tired of the druggie and the boy scout dad though.  It would be hard to toss in a Daryl or a Michonne at the onset of the plague - I think that would feel forced or corny. But there is nothing really likable about any of the characters.  The two boys are selfish punks, the dad is irritatingly predictable and naive, the mom just seems numb, the daughter is still lovestruck about her boyfriend...they're all just stereotypes playing out roles without any real depth. 

My biggest issue with the show is that the reactions to everything don't seem real.  The dead have come back to life and no one's really expressing any emotion - fear, loss, sadness, anxious, helpless, anger?  They had to blow the neighbors head off, but no one is scared or crying or yelling?  And speaking of neighbors, how about going to help the lady across the street before she gets killed or telling the guy wheeling out his garbage what is going on?  I'd be trying to band together with my neighbors and sharing information versus just glaring at them and sneaking off.  I'll watch to find out what happens, but I'm not jonesing for the next episode like I am with TWD.  Hopefully the military thing falls apart quickly and they had some new, more likable characters to the mix. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2015, 12:04 AM »
You'd think when the national guard walked up, you'd tell them "oh yeah, this woman with us has necrosis from a crushed foot and is gonna die soon - little help?"

Answered this episode. But she might be worse off.

Army officer has a to be a jerk, doesn't he?

Why did Madison get the gun lying on the street...all that risk to see what's outside and she doesn't get anything useful?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2015, 09:57 AM »
Why did Madison get the gun lying on the street...all that risk to see what's outside and she doesn't get anything useful?

I know right?! I was thinking the same thing. I guess she couldn't figure out how a gun would be useful in the zombie apocalypse. These people deserve to die!

This thing had a lot of potential but ultimately feels like a big let down. I feel like they are treading way too much water for a six episode stint. They could have saved a lot of time by just focusing on some normal family without all the ABC after school special stuff. It's not like showing all that crap made the characters more endearing in any way.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2015, 10:38 AM »
Yeah, this is becoming a "hate watch" show for me since there are only two episodes left for the season. I realize they are building up to SOMETHING, but it's taking forever to get there. Walking Dead has slow episodes, but they also have longer seasons and have stuff happen every 2-3 episodes before the slow ones. Even TWD's first season had more excitement, while still explaining some stuff.

Most cringeworthy scene: Barber's Hot Daughter making out with the Army dude

Thanks to Reddit for the term "hate watch" which I plan on using a lot more
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2015, 06:43 PM »
Dear lord this show is slow.  Until the last few minutes of the show last night I've seen so little that really drives the plot of the show.  I certainly hope the next two episodes have some sort of excitement in store. 

I've been bored with the plot, bored with the characters, and generally bored with the show.  Virtually no action last night?  Stupid decisions constantly being made?  No real character development?  I'll hang on, but like Diddly said, this show is very "hate watch" for me too.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2015, 07:54 PM »
Zombie free, aside from  dead ones.
There are zombies on your zombie show?

I feel like if the army is as ruthless as they are implying, that the neighborhood would've heard a lot more shooting nearby. I guess everyone sort of ignored it for the past 9 days.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2015, 09:05 PM »
Help me out here: when Madison was hiding under the car, wasn't that a zombie?  I didn't notice any head wounds but thought the eyes were funked out.  Might just be me over-interpreting.

Kind of hoping the ******bag drug addict gets disappeared.  Check that.  Really hoping. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2015, 08:51 AM »
Yeah - this is just not a good show.  "The military is evil and murders people" - how original.  Stressed-out mom becomes dead-zone explorer?  Because she bonded with her future step-son, inexplicably? 

And uncharasmatic dad makes such an awesome impression on people that some dude he had one beer with once considers him a good friend and inspiration?  And they call the dad mayor?  This is the same dad whose next-door-neighbor gave him the stink-eye last episode?

Maybe they're writing all the characters without any real core to demonstrate the chaos of the situation.  But I won't give them that much credit.