Author Topic: Fear the Walking Dead  (Read 142604 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Fear the Walking Dead
« Reply #75 on: October 7, 2015, 10:41 PM »
I was just thinking about something after the finale - how did an intelligent, extremely savvy, able-bodied multi-millionaire end up in the prison for junkies, psychos and dead-meat?  A prison that's nowhere near his mansion and yacht?  In what universe does that begin to make sense?

I'm guessing he's a response to the fact that the first three (two?) African-American actors were killed off and that it was mocked as old-school mentality towards African-American actors, notably in zombie movies.  That it doesn't make any sense is completely irrelevant, what we now have is a key character that is African-American. 

I recognize it's not politically correct to point that out, but I'd gamble that's the reason he's on there and he'll survive quite a while. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #76 on: October 8, 2015, 12:05 AM »
I was just thinking about something after the finale - how did an intelligent, extremely savvy, able-bodied multi-millionaire end up in the prison for junkies, psychos and dead-meat?  A prison that's nowhere near his mansion and yacht?  In what universe does that begin to make sense?

Probably something they will cover next season, but my guess is that he was downtown and got caught up around the riots.  Hell the military was quarantining anyone they thought might be trouble.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #77 on: October 8, 2015, 08:57 AM »
I just don't see a reason why the military would see rich dude in a suit and conclude "trouble."  Especially rich dude who's an expert at reading people and manipulating them.  The only reason that would make sense is if the military was overtly racist - but I can't imagine they'd write it that way.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 8, 2015, 05:55 PM »
I love zombie everything, but this series was terrible.  I finally finished it last night and was angry at myself for watching it.  As others have pointed out, so many dumb plot holes and wasted screen time.  Flashing light in the window eluded to what?  Nerd who figures out everything ahead of time ends up where?  So many plot lines unresolved.  Young kids trashing a rich house?  Pointless.  Adding a new character and him conveniently needing a druggie?  Cripes, use him to steal something or classify drugs or whatever, but there was no point in that.  Wounded soldier boy catches up with them?  Really?  The zombie hoard following Salazar in nice neat mob just steps behind?  Yeah, that makes sense.  Could the zombies even walk that far that quickly given they were so short on time?  And don't even get me started on all the wasted lives and resources from that stupid plan at the end.  They didn't feel like warning ANY neighbors or taking ANY of those supplies?  And the nurse wants to be killed immediately?  Didn't characters that were bit in TWD make a point of showing when you're dying you want to hold on to every last second you can?  It feels like the whole show intended to make the point that the druggie kid felt lost in the pre-zombie world, and now everyone is catching up to him.  Awesome message.

I really can't stand any of the characters and have serious doubts about watching another episode let alone another season.  They so badly missed the mark with this show - I think they'd be better off just cancelling the series.  I really didn't enjoy any of the 6 episodes outside of actually seeing the military try to fight zombies and the initial random zombie outbreaks. Even those were irritating at times though, since the soldiers knew to shoot for the heads and probably could have wiped out that whole hoard with the number of rounds they were firing.  Just lame and disappointing.  This will definitely make whatever they put on TWD look like genius material going forward.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 9, 2015, 08:19 PM »
The army could've dipped the helicopter blades into the hoard and chopped them up.

Okay, i guess that wouldn't have worked.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2015, 07:15 PM »
I didn't hate this as much as some of you did, but I don't care for it as much as TWD (yet).  I think it'll get better...  It did in 6 episodes, so I imagine it can do better next year. 

Agree on some points, not so much on others...  These people are dumb though, for sure.  And absolutely agree most of them are unlikable.  I don't mind the main guy and Salazar, and main guy's girlfriend is tolerable.  His ex wife and all the kids I'd push out of the truck myself though.  All obnoxious. 

I like seeing some of the "fall" of a major city like that...  The hospital scene was pretty neat, like they'd basically laid siege to the hospital after things inside it got out of control.  I found the rioting kind of goofy though...  I mean, a cop is eating another cop, in front of you, and you're just wanting to push your anarchy agenda?  Not pausing at all?  Oooook. 

Anyway, I'll stick with it next year and if it sucks I'll just quit with it.

Somehow people actually have won a "Talking Fear The Walking Dead" campaign...  The only thing I can imagine that is worse is a show talking about it.  Unless Hardwick goes all anti-establishment and actually starts bitching about plot holes, which would be funny, but he's such a chode I know he won't.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2015, 06:54 PM »
I found the rioting kind of goofy though...  I mean, a cop is eating another cop, in front of you, and you're just wanting to push your anarchy agenda?  Not pausing at all?  Oooook. 

Makes as much sense as a zombie stopping to stare inside the barbershop. I'd like to think that's a clue to something "new" on the horizon...but probably not. Once they start playing around with zombies, then the show's suspension of disbelief heads to Z Nation or Resident Evil territory.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2015, 07:11 PM »
I didn't even give the zombie looking in the window a second thought...  I figure it was just distracted, or it was random coincidence...  That was my view anyway. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2015, 08:03 PM »
Distracted from all the hysteria and easy dining options outside?
They wanted to do a cool scene and didn't think about it.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2015, 08:22 PM »
I pictured them kind of staggering around in sensory overload...   So a noise in every ditection, flashing lights every way....  One bang on the metal shutter and one could walk into that wall and just as quickly turn and look elsewhere.  That was how I figured it made as much sense as people eating each other but other people witnessing it and still rioting.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2015, 01:16 AM »
Well, mob mentality takes over, I guess.  Or herd mentality? Or when a crowd of people tramples someone. And anyone asks "How could they not notice they were trampling another human being?"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2016, 09:34 AM »
So, this again. I realized about halfway through last night the show I really would rather be watching is "STRAND AND NICK AND THEIR ADVENTURES ON THE HIGH SEAS" after they have thrown all those other idiots overboard thus insuring their safety and security forever.  ;)

They need to find a nice white hat for the teenage daughter since she is clearly going to be playing the role of Gilligan on this little three hour tour. "My boyfriend may be dead or not, I don't know, but let's look for cute boys on the radio while I paw at the ink pen tattoo the love of my life just gave me like 2 days ago before I forgot about him." At least she found a way to work the de-salinization system into the conversation.  ::)

Where is the technology that will allow you to reach through the TV scene and just violently shake someone until their brains re-activate?

As many of the mains die on the regular show, I am hopeful a bunch of these morons get eaten up this season and the rest of them get a lot smarter as a result. Starting with the too stupid to believe teenage daughter, the angry for no reason teenage son, and right on down the line.

LOL @ the mom trying to bond with the stupid angry kid over beating up their Dads.

Come on, zombies!!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2016, 10:14 AM »
I'm not watching.  Season 1 was dreadful.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2016, 10:22 AM »

My wife keeps asking why we don't give FtWD a try.  They hit you with so many previews during TWD, and it seems interesting from the previews.  But then I tell her that I have yet to hear anyone say its not a complete waste of time.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2016, 02:07 PM »

My wife keeps asking why we don't give FtWD a try.  They hit you with so many previews during TWD, and it seems interesting from the previews.  But then I tell her that I have yet to hear anyone say its not a complete waste of time.

Its like a train wreck to fill the void on Sunday night.