Author Topic: TFA 3.75" Scale Millennium Falcon  (Read 23115 times)

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
Re: TFA 3.75" Scale Millennium Falcon
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2015, 01:59 PM »
All due respect, this "thing" can't hold a candle even to the Clone Tank, light years away from the Big Millenium Falcon.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2015, 08:21 PM »
While the Toys R Us sale is still in effect, I picked up a 2nd one of these to open today. Glad to have this item off "the list" of 3.75" TFA product. I'm reserving judgement on it until I actually take it out of the box and fiddle with it. My expectations are REALLY low, so I'm hoping it surprises me.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2015, 09:43 PM »
This new Millennium Falcon is a completely different animal from the 2008 BMF Falcon.  And it appears that Hasbro is trying to appeal to a different market segment with this particular rendition of the Falcon.  The features say that much to me.  Especially the Nerf cannon.

Plus, there are Hasbro's comments in the new Wall Street Journal article that just ran about merchandising for TFA.  From that article it seems pretty clear that Hasbro is directing their efforts in the 3.75" figure system to kids who are 10 and under, and the 6" figure system to a more mature audience.  The design choices in this Falcon make that strategy abundantly clear.

I stopped being a completest some time ago.  And frankly, I prefer my BMF Falcon to this new version.  So I don't feel the need to buy the new version, even with the semi-unique figures that are packed in.

I'm trying to look at offerings like this one from a big picture perspective.  I'm hopeful that the line sells in significant enough volume that Hasbro can seriously consider offering a premium format 3.75" figure line in addition to a kid focused 5 POA line.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2015, 01:13 AM »
I haven't purchased this falcon yet, but from what I've seen of it (pictures online and seeing it at TRU) it's a nice toy.  My 5 year old would probably love this thing.  It's designed as a toy for kids and that's 100% alright!

That being said, we have proven over the past 20 years that there is a market for collector quality, more screen accurate and detailed action figures and vehicles.  Something that Hasbro seems to be actively ignoring.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2015, 11:19 AM »
Kudos to you, Jayson, for posting the Bloomberg article about Mark Boudreaux, senior designer for Hasbro.  I probably met Mark for the first time about 10 years ago at either Toy Fair or a convention, and he's an incredibly gracious guy who is very generous with his time.  He worked on the design of the original Millennium Falcon toy for Kenner, the BMF Falcon and the new version for THE FORCE AWAKENS.  He really is one of the unsung heroes of the hobby and those of us who started collecting as kids in the 70's owe so much of our enjoyment of this line to Mark and his work.  And it was great to read that even at 60, he's working enthusiastically on the toy line for ROGUE ONE and wants to see his way through to EPISODE 8 and 9!

From Hasbro's Twitter feed:  Hasbro designer Mark Boudreaux talks #StarWars tonight on #GMA40 at 6:30pm ET! http://abcnews.go.com/live

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2015, 07:12 PM »
They ran a little late, but the segment ran at about 6:55 ET.  Mark Boudreaux was on GMA40 via Skype from "The Bucket" and talked about the vintage Falcon as well as the new TFA version.  Joining him during the segment was the Toy Hunter himself, Jordan Hembrough.  It's great to see Mark getting some recognition for his work at both Kenner and Hasbro over the years.  But no mention of the BMF Falcon, which I really think is Mark's masterpiece.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 07:14 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2015, 02:31 PM »
Anyone interested in buying one of these for just the vehicle?  I'd eat a decent way into your costs if you'd be willing to send me just the figures.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2015, 02:21 PM »
The only thing that would make this a "must have" for me is the BB-98 figure.  My 5 year old still prefers the stormtroopers and TIE fighters to this, so I haven't purchased one.

I might be scrambling on December 19th to get one for under the tree though.  :D

On sale at Walmart.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 02:50 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2015, 05:41 PM »
Just saw it for $100 at Costco.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2015, 11:06 PM »
I saw the Falcon on sale at TRU today for $119.99

Feedback

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2015, 07:21 PM »
I love my BMF from 2008/2009 and have zero intention on getting the new TFA Falcon...  I've seen it in various places, but have only given it a passing glance.  If one wants a 3.75" BB-8, there's a figure pack that has a couple of Unkar's thugs from Jakku and a BB-8 figure ;)
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2015, 11:57 PM »
This is NOT staying on shelves much.  BMF's cool, and you can apparently sell yours for pretty astronomical money (talking to a buddy of mine who did just that recently), same with AT-AT's apparently, this new Falcon is moving quite briskly.  I'm just now starting to see it much, but it's usually gone on my next visit.

X-Wings too.  TIE, not as much, and the giant TIE, not nearly as much.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2015, 11:58 AM »
I'm looking forward to picking up that giant TIE for $50 sometime in the next few months.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2015, 12:24 PM »
I'm looking forward to picking up that giant TIE for $50 sometime in the next few months.

This does appear to be collecting some dust at retail.  I've been thinking about at what price point I might be interested in pulling the trigger.

I think its cool.  I just have no idea where I would put such a giant item, so I'm not sure I would even be interested at $50.  Although I sure would be tempted at that price.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2015, 03:20 PM »
Cracked open the new MF with the kids last night.  Overall a very fun toy. 

Pros:
- The kids and I really like the Nerf bullet thing.  Its really well done and easy to use.  It uses standard Nerf bullets, so they will be easy to replace if necessary.  I also like that it can retract nicely in to the MF so it is completely hidden.
- The electronics are really nice.  I like how it has sensors to know when you lift it up, set it down, and bank it.  Different sounds for each part of flight that it automatically senses.
- Its a really solid toy.  Lots of solid plastic well put together.  I don't see anything that is likely to snap off without abuse.
- I really like the cockpit with the movable steering column.  It makes it easy to put in and remove the figures.
- Storage compartments galore.  Lots of places to stick weapons, Nerf bullets, etc. so you don't lose Chewie's bowcaster, etc.
- I like the many options for putting the portable cannon in all different spots.  I haven't tried to see if the BAW fit in here, or if there are other things that could plug in to the ports.  It would have been nice to have a few other basic things like the cannon that you could move around.

Cons:
- The only thing that I find out of place on this is the price.  $140 seems outrageous.  Granted I got mine on sale for about $95.  It still feels like it should be more like $80 MSRP.  I know the X-Wing and TIE Fighter really went up in price too, so by comparison maybe its not terrible, but $140 seems way too high.

This is obviously not collector focused, but I think its a really fun toy.  As I type this the kids have loaded up the MF with the crew of The Ghost (and BB-8) and are having adventures.  I'd love to see Hasbro do something in this scale with The Ghost that The Phantom could plug in to.  A Nerf shooter would be perfect for that age group as well.

Overall well done, just drop the price by 40%.