Author Topic: Force Friday: What are You Buying?  (Read 19585 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Force Friday: What are You Buying?
« on: August 21, 2015, 10:57 AM »
After looking through all the pics and info over the past couple weeks, I've been trying to come up with a game plan for Force Friday (or that weekend, or whenever you get out to shop).  I've sold stuff/set aside money in anticipation, and hope to stick to a budget and not go too crazy.  I know that reactions to the stuff have been mixed, so I was curious what everyone hopes to pick up from this line?  For me, I think its looking like this:

Basic Figures - One of each of the new characters, likely passing on stuff we've seen before (Bespin Luke, Vader, etc.)  Same goes for the armor up figures, might get the Chewie and Poe.

Vehicles - I'd like to get the new Falcon, I dig the X-Wing and TIE as well.  Not sure if I'll get all three right off the bat, but eventually.  The smaller vehicles will be case by case, definitely want Rey's speeder though.

Black Series - All of these please, aside from the ginormous TIE.  Still undecided on that one.

Aside from that, I'll have to wait and see if we get anymore that wasn't listed in recent pictures.  I'll likely continue to get all "new" characters from the Force Awakens, and hold out hope for a more SA line eventually too.  Also, for some reason I sort of want that NERF Chewie bowcaster.  I'll be looking at the LEGOs as well, but that's a whole other thread :).

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Force Friday: What are You Buying?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 12:12 PM »
Mission series pack with BB and the aliens
Constable whatshisname

If that.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 02:18 PM »
The 2 Rebels Mission Series packs
The Y-Wing Scout Bomber with Kanan
The 5 new 6" figures
The TRU exclusive 6" Blue trooper
The Target exclusive 6" 2-pack (apparently this will not be out on FF)
The Walgreens exclusive Emperor or Vader 6" figure (if it is out yet, they are hinting it will be)
The 6" scale TIE Fighter

I would eventually like doubles of the 6" stormtrooper, but I think 1 per customer is the cool way to go for MM.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 08:40 AM by McMetal »
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 02:53 PM »
I would eventually like doubles of the 6" stormtrooper, but I think 1 per customer is the cool way to go for MM.

While I agree it's the "cool way to go", I think I'd grab a second in case you never find another in the wild since it's a troop builder (and also scalpers).

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 03:02 PM »
- LEGO Millennium Falcon
- BB-8/scavenger set
- Ahsoka/Vader Rebels set
- Zeb/Chopper Rebels set
- Black Series 6 inch Finn/Rey/Kylo/Stormtrooper
- Micro Machines (all)

Trying to keep my budget at around $250 for MM and spread out the rest of the purchases over the coming months, with the 3.75 inch stuff being on the chopping block if I feel I'm spending too much. I eventually plan on snagging all of the LEGO sets and some of the 3.75 inch stuff, but the LEGOs are all expensive for some reason, so I'll wait for some deals.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 03:47 PM »
New picture catalog is here

https://imgur.com/a/lbYLw#62
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 03:55 PM »
Based on what we "know" (i.e. what we have seen leak so far) is "confirmed" for "Mystery Box Friday":

-The five 6" Black Series figures (Finn, Rey/BB-8, Kylo Ren, Chewbacca, FO Stormtrooper)
-6" First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter with TIE Pilot (if it actually is released for FF)
-6" TRU Exclusive Blue Trooper (whatever it turns out to be unless it's something ridiculous and not film-based)

-3.75" Mission Series Rebels Ahsoka Tano/Darth Vader two pack

-Lego General Grievous Constructable Figure

And that's pretty much it.  I plan on getting some of the 3.75" vehicles eventually (Rey's Speeder, Finn's Speeder, FO Snowspeeder, and maybe the TIE Fighter depending on how badly out of scale it is) and all of the Lego sets, not to mention any SA figures should they actually get released, but otherwise, it's going to be a light night for me, financially, compared to previous Midnight Madness events. 

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 05:16 PM »
I'm waiting for the Sphero version of BB-8.

Other than that, nothing.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 06:17 PM »
I have like almost $300 now in points at Kmart so I will spend a bit there as $50 will expire anyway. 

I definitely am buying:

-Rey's Speeder...  That looks scaled right detailed and bitchin.  Love it!  It's the type of thing down the road I could see buying more on sale to repaint as it could fit in with the OT easily too.  But 9/4 I will own one and see if I can custom up Rey to be a better figure too.

-thug/scavenger & bb8 2-pack...  I want a BB8 and I think those aliens look neat enough as is.  Sure I want SA aliens but all 3 for $15 I won't bitch.

I'm not sure if I will buy the following all on the first day but some I think I will:

-BAW Res Trooper, Poe, & TIE Pilot...  Thinking 2 of the 3 I may be able to articulate myself easily enough and Poe may be a little more work but I dig Pilots enough I'd like to own the first one.

-BAW Flametrooper, Finn, Constable...  Again I think I can articulate two of them easily and the constable guy I'm ok buying as just an alien to put into any scene on my shelves.

-BAW these 3 I'm really debating but Rey, Stormtrooper, and Phasma...  Don't know if I want another Rey and don't know if I want too many stormtroopers to mess with.  Phasma is neat, so more likely for me to pick her up.

-Speederbike w/elite Trooper...  It just looks fun for me.  And again I think I can articulate him beyond what extra I think he already may have.

Then I have several items I'm debating and reluctant to buy full price:

-Snowspeeder...  I like this despite it being slightly small.  I would want to customize here though and that would hamper me wanting to pay $25-30 then.  You get a figure though, sooooo eh. 

-Sandspeeder...  Similar to above but slightly less interesting to me so much more likely a sale purchase.

-ATRT...  Not sure where my interest is here yet at all but more than likely sale. 

-Armored Poe...  I like the figure, but that price?  Nope.  Sale or bust.

Goofy things I want:

-Stormtrooper NERF gun to chase the cat around.

-RC BB8...  I'd buy either of these on sale ultimately. 

DEFINITELY In Sale:

-XWing & TIE Fighter...  I wouldn't mind owning either one really but reality is neither impressed me scale wise and short of a steep and impressive discount I'm out on these.

And that is where I stand.  I will set a budget with my Kmart points and get some of the top of my list wants.  From there I will begin to make decisions based more on price/sale than anything.  I can wait this out and not care if I miss something at all really.

Oh and chopper/zeb will be an impulse buy but most likely a buy so I get Chopper finally.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 01:52 AM »

I'm surprised they are still teasing BB-8 over at the Sphero web site. We all know what it is. Lets just get the video up of it and show us the $150 price tag.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 10:02 PM »

I'm surprised they are still teasing BB-8 over at the Sphero web site. We all know what it is. Lets just get the video up of it and show us the $150 price tag.

Just like every other licensee, Disney has the gag order out on them.  I'm sure you will hear plenty about it at all your favorite fan sites 12:01 am on 9/4 when the floodgates open and everyone can start talking. ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 09:35 AM »
So...1 week from tonight the Madness kicks off. At this point people seem to have a pretty good idea of what will be out there (exclusives aside). Curious to hear what folks are planning for that night. Solo runs? Group thing?

I'm still struggling to come up with a sensible plan for that night. TRU is the obvious first priority just because of the exclusive 6" Blue Trooper. But that's also the store that is most likely to be overcrowded because of the limited locations. I feel like if I had some reasonable level of confidence that there will be plenty of the blue troopers to go around I would prefer to start elsewhere and swing by around 2 or 3am after the hubbub dies down. I don't want to risk not getting that thing though, so it's a tough call at this point.

There's only 1 Target around here opening at midnight so that one is likely to be mobbed too I think. At least there you've got a better shot since getting to the actual toys requires a footrace through the store and I'm confident I can outrun all those fat sweaty nerds.  :D  I definitely want to get the 6" TIE Fighter there given the $25 off any purchase over $100 deal.

Walmart really seems like the best option IMO. They have lots of different stores around here and they almost all stay open 24 hours anyway. They also tend to stock around 10pm so ideally one could get there early and score those hard to find figures without the hassles of waiting in line for hours on end.

What do you guys plan on doing?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 11:02 AM »
I have been pondering the same question as you McMetal.

I'm leaning towards starting at Toys R Us, getting in-and-out as quickly as possible and then heading over to Target after that.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 11:54 AM »
Honestly?  I don't know.  I'm going to play it by ear.  I'm definitely not going to deal with the crowds for the midnight madness event.  Part of that is my work schedule, and part of it is not wanting to mix it up with people who have worked themselves into a frenzy. 

I'd rather do my shopping at a more reasoned, deliberate pace, so I'll hit the stores during the afternoon.  I won't be buying everything at once.  There's likely to be plenty of stock.  And since the plan is for there to only be the same merchandise offered on Force Friday through the release of the film, I don't feel that much need to get EVERYTHING right away.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 12:08 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 05:27 PM »
Good question. I took September 4 off of work since I have to go to Houston the next day anyway, otherwise I wouldn't be able to go (like most sane people). I'll probably hit TRU since there's one 5 minutes from where I live. Only problem is it's at an intersection of 2 major highways, so it will probably be crowded. I figure I'll go mostly for the experience, then hit up a Wal-Mart afterwards.

I'm going to hit up the LEGO store the next morning and grab whatever they have too. I was there the other day to get the TPM poster and talked with the manager, who said they already have the sets in the back, will put them out on the 4th, and it will be cheaper than TRU.

How bad are TRU MM crowds? The only one I've done was for Clone Wars, and I just hit a Wal-Mart and had to battle a crowd of roughly 8 people. Might be worth just going to a Wal-Mart and skipping TRU entirely.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks