Author Topic: Black Series 3.75" Is Now Walmart Exclusive  (Read 29508 times)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Black Series 3.75" Is Now Walmart Exclusive
« on: September 4, 2015, 12:35 AM »
From Hasbro -

This fall, Walmart is the home for STAR WARS collectors and the exclusive home of the fan-favorite STAR WARS: THE BLACK SERIES 3.75-inch action figure line. A limited number of the first wave of the new line will be available in Walmart stores, and the second wave, featuring brand-new figures from STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS and a brand-new PRINCESS LEIA figure, will be available for online pre-order!
« Last Edit: January 6, 2016, 11:48 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Black Series 3.75" Is Now Walmart Exclusive
« Reply #1 on: September 4, 2015, 12:55 AM »
Will the stores actually stock them. Nice "limited" disclaimer.

Still not convinced SA still has a real future, just a prolonged death. Talk of TRU getting the Vintage collection with clam shells. So at least $15 figures, probably.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2015, 12:57 AM by Scockery »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 4, 2015, 01:02 PM »
I've been doing 90% of my collecting online for years now, so whatever.  As long as anything that's actually new stuff is available I'm not worried about it.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 4, 2015, 02:34 PM »
Yeah, I sort of feel like it is just putting off the eventual end, but very nice to see it continue. I wonder if the first repackage wave was just to get things going or if we will see that more often? I honestly would have liked to see Target or TRU get this instead, our local WM is abysmal with exclusives and Star Wars in general. Sounds like we are getting a couple (Kylo Ren, Stormie) in the next round but that will be a slow trickle to catch up on the new characters. That said, I'm in on the new ones,hopefully they will have them steadily available online.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: September 4, 2015, 04:17 PM »
Here is the full press release from Hasbro & Walmart...

WALMART IS ANNOUNCED AS THE NEW EXCLUSIVE U.S. HOME OF HASBRO’S STAR WARS: THE BLACK SERIES 3 3/4-INCH FIGURES

The Collector-Favorite Line Will Feature Figures From the Saga Films and STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS, Beginning on September 4

BENTONVILLE, AR, Sep. 4, 2015 – Walmart and Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS) announced today that the retail giant will be the exclusive home of the fan-favorite STAR WARS: THE BLACK SERIES 3 3/4-inch toy line in the U.S.

Starting on “Force Friday,” September 4, Walmart.com will begin selling the first wave and taking pre-orders on the second wave of the highly collectible toy line. Customers will find the product in stores beginning in October, making Walmart the only destination in the U.S. for fans looking for highly detailed, highly articulated 3 3/4-inch figures based on the upcoming film STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS.

First launched in 2013, STAR WARS: THE BLACK SERIES 3 3/4-inch line quickly became a fan-favorite line, in the tradition of earlier Hasbro toy lines like the STAR WARS VINTAGE collection. As the new exclusive US home to the STAR WARS: THE BLACK SERIES 3 3/4-inch line, Walmart is proud to become the go-to destination for STAR WARS fans looking for the finest Hasbro toys available.

“Walmart is very excited to be the exclusive home of the Star Wars Black Series 3 ¾ inch figures,” said Anne Marie Kehoe, vice president of toys at Walmart. “This is just the beginning - fans, customers and collectors can expect Walmart and Walmart.com to be the place to find the newest characters and figures as they are released.”

“We’re thrilled that Walmart will be the new home for fans’ beloved STAR WARS: THE BLACK SERIES 3 3/4-inch toy line,” said Maureen Smith, senior vice president of brand marketing for Hasbro. “With the support of a world-class retailer like Walmart, we can ensure that collectors continue to get new, highly detailed and articulated 3 3/4-inch STAR WARS action figures for years to come.”

The first wave of the new STAR WARS: THE BLACK SERIES 3 3/4-inch line is currently available for purchase on Walmart.com and features EPISODE VI DARTH VADER, EPISODE VI LUKE SKYWALKER, and EPISODE IV CHEWBACCA. The second wave, featuring a brand new EPISODE IV PRINCESS LEIA figure and the first two figures based on STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS (FIRST ORDER STORMTROOPER and KYLO REN), are available to pre-order now on Walmart.com. Both waves will be available in stores in the next few months.  Additional 3 ¾-inch figures will be coming later in 2015.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 4, 2015, 04:32 PM »
WM sucks.  I really hope it is true that you can order these online because the local stores are wastelands.  I'd rather see this as a K-Mart exclusive over a WM exclusive...

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: September 4, 2015, 04:39 PM »
I really hope it is true that you can order these online because the local stores are wastelands. 

Wave 1 (all repacks) went up for pre-order last night, Wave 2 should be up in a few weeks (or sooner).

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 5, 2015, 05:33 PM »
Despite the fact that these are all repacks, kind of digging the packaging. Very old school Japanese.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: September 6, 2015, 11:27 PM »
Yeah, it's an interesting choice to make them look like mini version of the 6". 

You would think going "boxed" on them will cost them the carded collectors, but maybe that's not a big deal since carded collectors aren't so prevalent anymore?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 07:12 PM »
Here's a question I've been pondering. Will there be black series vehicles? Wouldn't mind a proper sized X-Wing and TIE fighter.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 09:10 PM »
Here's a question I've been pondering. Will there be black series vehicles? Wouldn't mind a proper sized X-Wing and TIE fighter.

I bet if the line sells well, there will be.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 02:27 PM »
The Kylo Ren/First Order Stormtrooper/ANH Princess Leia figure links no longer appear to be valid - maybe it wasn't intended to be up or was resulting in too many phone calls about the items.

Hopefully it doesn't mean that sales on the first wave haven't been "brisk" enough to warrant a 2nd wave.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2015, 12:06 AM »
Got my wave 1 order in the mail on Friday. The stickers on the back of the box peeled off well - there was just a small bit of adhesive on the corner where I started to pull the sticker off. I did try using a paper towel that I had sprayed some goof off onto and gently rubbed that spot on one of the three figures and I noticed that the paper towel had started to "turn" black - clearly I was rubbing some aspect of the packaging's coloring off by trying to remove the adhesive residue with goof off, so I stopped. Didn't seem to "ruin" the packaging, but I wasn't going to risk it.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline indysolo007

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 11:12 AM »
I read a few unconfirmed rumors this line may be nixed after wave 3. Walmart had also removed the links listed on bantha skull for any figures after wave three too.

I really hope this is not the case. I would like to see Phasma, Han, Leia and a few more troopers in SA form. If this is true I hope it's to make way for a new SA line that is non exclusive and universally carried at retail.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 01:26 PM »
Walmart probably removed those links at the request of Lucasfilm or Disney in an attempt to control the flow of information about the movie that could be some sort of spoiler. 

As for the future of this line?  It appears to be selling through at a steady pace.  The reissue figures take a bit longer to sell through, but those have sold as well.  If anything, I suspect that the increased sales volume for all things Star Wars might mean that the Black Series 3.75" figure line may shift from an exclusive offering to a general release segment of the Hasbro Star Wars line. 

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback