Author Topic: A thread about concerts.  (Read 164341 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: A thread about concerts.
« Reply #135 on: January 7, 2005, 12:09 AM »
Hey Brent, not sure if you know these guys, or if they've ever played near you, but have you ever seen Our Lady Peace live? I know they are from Canada, just don't know what part. They played here a few years back, touring for their first album, and they played at a small dive place over in NYC. My buddy and I are big fans, so we went to the show, and it was crazy packed. I didn't think that many people here in the US even knew who they were. But we actually got to meet them and hang out with them for a little bit, and they were really cool.

They played another show here like two years ago (I'm sure they played some shows in between as well  :P ) and we went to see them again, and again the place was packed (different, bigger place though). And again, they put on a kick ass show. And once again, we got to meet them, and they actually remembered who we were!! They remembered that we had hung with them at Wetlands (the NYC dive bar) a few years back, and we were in shock. Great bunch of guys.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 7, 2005, 12:38 AM »
OLP, yeah.  Up here we have something called the CRTC - Canadian Radio and Telecommunications, there's an official government act that states what percentage of music must be Canadian content ::)  I suppose it's not all bad, but I remember suffering through a lot of Glass Tiger in the late 80s that made me a bit bitter about the act.  But it does make sure that bands like OLP get more than their fair share of airtime. 

Our local hard rock station has what they call Studio 97 sessions where they invite bands that are playing into their recording studio in the basement to play 4-5 songs live in front of a very small audience (maybe 50 max) and those songs are recorded.  They've done this on three discs so far and some of the tracks are incredible.  The bands sign off on the songs and they produce a number of CDs from it with all proceeds going to whatever the annual charity is.  It's a really cool situation.  There is an awesome recording of Finger Eleven's One Thing that the band and studio are thrilled about because bluntly it sounds so much better than the album version.  I only have two of the discs, but should be able to get the third pretty easily, though they all sell out on the first day.  I'll burn you copies and send them with your stuff. 

As far as OLP goes, I've seen them twice, once in the bar and once in a "Theater" - the Burton Cummings theater actually - that holds maybe 3000?  Great shows, but I usually only get to meet bands when we're in the bars. 

By way of explanation my buddy is the general manager  at a middle-upper class restaurant that is quite popular with bands who want a decent meal.  The chain is all across Canada and in Washington and Oregon - The Keg by name.  Most people like it, some don't.  Anyway this guy was the best man at my wedding, so we're pretty good friends and he knows all the radio personalities which leads to free tickets and being in the hospitality industry leads to knowing promoters.  So he gets lots of free tickets, I parasitize him and I'm the happier guy of the bunch.  But I let his kids swim in my pool in the backyard all summer, so it evens out ;)  Especially since I have a girl and he has two boys.  About 8 years from now, that **** will stop. 

There are a ton of bands that never get big in the states, if they ever get airplay at all.  It's really quite tragic.  You guys get Default and Nickleback, but miss so much more.  I keep meaning to start a thread about bands from Canada that you guys should listen to, but always forget to do so. 

One of the old bands that don't play much anymore went by the name of Streetheart.  They had maybe 5 albums total, but I don't think any were ever released in the US.  They do an awesome version of Under My Thumb, the old Stones tune.  Apparently there is a quote in print somewhere that has Mick saying it is so vastly superior to theirs that he wishes they never recorded it.  Not sure if I believe it, but it's an awesome tune.  The band had an amazing bass player, Spider Sinnaeve (sp?), who had such an easily identifiable sound, just so distinctive for a bass, clearly not trying to be in the background.  Sadly the song I mentioned is only available on disc in live versions, which are ok, but the studio version is unreal. 

Sorry, ramble much?

Just for reference, here's the top 20 from the station I mentioned.  You can find it and listen to it on the web if you like at www.power97.com

1. Boulevard of Broken Dreams       Green Day
2. If I Die Tomorrow                         Motley Crue
3. Nothing To Lose                           Billy Talent
4. Pain                                              Jimmy Eat World
5. Pieces                                          Sum 41
6. All Because Of You                       U2
7. Beautiful                                      Thornley
8. Beginning                                     Waking Eyes
9. Stargazer                                      Tea Party
10. It’s Been A While Since I Was Your Man      Matthew Good
11. Wake Up (Studio 97)                    Three Days Grace
12. Dirty Little Thing                           Velvet Revolver
13. Move On                                       Jet
14. Vertigo                                         U2
15. Vitamin R                                      Chevelle
16. Let Me Go                                     3 Doors Down
17. 1000 Mile wish                              Finger Eleven
18. Fall To Pieces                                Velvet Revolver
19. So Cold                                         Breaking Benjamin
20. American Idiot                               Green Day
« Last Edit: January 7, 2005, 12:49 AM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 7, 2005, 01:01 AM »
Our local hard rock station has what they call Studio 97 sessions where they invite bands that are playing into their recording studio in the basement to play 4-5 songs live in front of a very small audience (maybe 50 max) and those songs are recorded.  They've done this on three discs so far and some of the tracks are incredible.  The bands sign off on the songs and they produce a number of CDs from it with all proceeds going to whatever the annual charity is.  It's a really cool situation.  There is an awesome recording of Finger Eleven's One Thing that the band and studio are thrilled about because bluntly it sounds so much better than the album version.  I only have two of the discs, but should be able to get the third pretty easily, though they all sell out on the first day.  I'll burn you copies and send them with your stuff. 

That sounds awesome. I'm a sucker for **** like that, especially if it's done acoustic. I've got plenty of stuff like that from a few different stations and what not. And I've been to few of those informal, intimate gatherings. Kinda like MTV Unplugged (man, I miss that show. Even the ****** guests were sometimes cool. Sometimes).

Best one I ever saw? Back around 1992, at Tower Records in NYC, there was this unknown band that came in to do a live in store appearance right before (or maybe right after, I can't remember) their first album came out. They were touring with Smashing Pumpkins and Red Hot Chili Peppers, and were playing the first of three sold out shows at Roseland Ballroom that same night. They only played for about 20 minutes, maybe half an hour, but they were awesome. Hearing some of their songs done acoustic (and their drummer had some bongos just to keep the beat going) was just so amazing, it's one day I'll probably never forget. Almost like a religious experience, if you will. And they were cool enough to stick around after, and chat with some of the fans that had been there to see them play. There were only about 40 of us I would say, and at least half of the others left either half way through or when they were done playing. I stuck around and got to meet the band, and chat with them for a few minutes. Come to think of it, it had to be right after the album had dropped, because I knew all the songs and couldn't wait to hear them play acoustic.

Oh yeah, they were called Pearl Jam in case you were curious  :D

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 7, 2005, 01:08 AM »
Just for reference, here's the top 20 from the station I mentioned.  You can find it and listen to it on the web if you like at www.power97.com

1. Boulevard of Broken Dreams       Green Day
2. If I Die Tomorrow                         Motley Crue
3. Nothing To Lose                           Billy Talent
4. Pain                                              Jimmy Eat World
5. Pieces                                          Sum 41
6. All Because Of You                       U2
7. Beautiful                                      Thornley
8. Beginning                                     Waking Eyes
9. Stargazer                                      Tea Party
10. It’s Been A While Since I Was Your Man      Matthew Good
11. Wake Up (Studio 97)                    Three Days Grace
12. Dirty Little Thing                           Velvet Revolver
13. Move On                                       Jet
14. Vertigo                                         U2
15. Vitamin R                                      Chevelle
16. Let Me Go                                     3 Doors Down
17. 1000 Mile wish                              Finger Eleven
18. Fall To Pieces                                Velvet Revolver
19. So Cold                                         Breaking Benjamin
20. American Idiot                               Green Day

Hmmm, looking over this list, it's decidely un-Canadian, no? Tea Party is a great band, I know they are from Canada. I know Matthew Good is as well, and I'm guessing that Waking Eyes must be, 'cause I don't know who they are. Is Thornley from Canada? I got a promo of that CD back at the beginning of the summer, and checked it out - it's got some good songs on it, although it's kind of a Nickleback ripoff bigtime if you ask me. So who else is from Canada there? Finger Eleven (I think so)?? Billy Talent (again, I think so)?? One of our local cable companies used to carry Much Music, and I used to love watching it, because it definitely opened my ears to a whole bunch of music that I would have missed out on otherwise. Like OLP, who have become one of my favorite bands, along with I Mother Earth. Without Much Music, I would have missed out on both of those guys. I was also introduced to Chantel Kreviazuk through Much, and I think she's an absolutely amazing songwriter. The fact that she's married to Rayne from OLP doesn't hurt either  ;)

Offline Darth Paul

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 7, 2005, 01:26 AM »
I actually went to 3 big shows this year - The Beastie Boys, Rush, and The Tragically Hip on Canada Day.

Over the years I have probably seen The Hip more times than any other band, followed by Blue Rodeo.

Other concerts I have been to over the years (that I can remember):

Sloan (multiple times)
Rage Against the Machine
Van Hagar
Pink Floyd
Metallica
Guns N' Roses
Aerosmith
The Skydiggers
The Cult
The Lowest of the Low
Our Lady Peace
I Mother Earth
The Tea Party
Moist
54*40
Pearl Jam
Green Day
Spinal Tap  ;D 8)
Neil Young
Gordon Lightfoot
U2
The Rolling Stones
The Scorpions
David Lee Roth solo
Alice In Chains
Ozzy
Weezer
John Mellancamp
Robert Plant
Boston
The Black Crowes
AC/DC
Def Leppard
Cinderella ( a hair band I actually still kinda like)
Dread Zeppelin  ;D

And in a special sub-category, my embarrassing teen years hair metal tally in no particular order:

Poison
Winger
Warrant
Bulletboys
Great White
Aldo Nova
White Lion
Skid Row

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #140 on: January 7, 2005, 03:09 AM »
Skid Row is a pretty kick ass band, even without Sebastian Bach. Saw them open for Kiss on the 2000 'Farewell' Tour. I think the lead singer's name is Johnny Salinger, and he sounds exactly like Bach.

Haven't heard anything about the band touring since then, which is a shame, since I'd pay to see them again.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 7, 2005, 10:31 AM »
I like Skid Row too.  Own some Great White and love Poison's greatest hits. 

Dave,
yeah, the list is pretty decidedly un-Canadian, but I guess that's what's popular at the moment.  With U2, Green Day and Velvet Revolver taking up six of the top 20, it gets pretty full.  Canadian bands on there would be:

Billy Talent
Thornley
Waking Eyes
Tea Party
Finger Eleven

I think that's it.  Oddly there's no Tragically Hip on there (the second best band to come out of Kingston), a Canadian icon that pretty much dominates any list, I suppose their latest release is a little old now. 

The Waking Eyes are a local band.  Another thing that radio station runs annually is a new band contest.  They take submitted recordings from piles of bands, pick 4-5 bands and then release 2-3 songs from each band on a cd.  I'll try to find that one for you too, though it's not that great IMO.  The concept is really nice, because those bands that get in get free recording time, some pretty serious (local) airplay and then play a few larger gigs to get some exposure.  A bunch end up as local opening acts for the bands that are playing the smaller venues (3000 people) like Sum41 when they come later this month. 

The Studio97 sessions were originally all of the unplugged type, but more recently they tend to be more plugged in, something that disappoints me a bit.  The old studio was quite small, so they couldn't really get any gear in there, hence the unplugged nature.  Due to the success of the sessions/albums, they expanded the studio enough that bands can hook up now, so they amount to live, full sound recordings.  Still neat, but I like the unplugged aspect as well. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #142 on: January 7, 2005, 01:24 PM »
We have a Station here that does the same thing (also 97 on the FM dial):

http://www.cities97.com/sampler/archive.html

The CD sells out in like 15 minutes every year at Christmas

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 7, 2005, 01:36 PM »
We have a Station here that does the same thing (also 97 on the FM dial):

http://www.cities97.com/sampler/archive.html

The CD sells out in like 15 minutes every year at Christmas

Interesting.  I'd be willing to bet that's where our station got the idea.  I would say though that they improved upon it by focusing more on up and coming talent, at least that's my preference.  Also there's no way some of those names would bother going to a little studio to play for the station, at least that's my guess.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #144 on: January 7, 2005, 01:42 PM »
I've never owned the CD but I know they pride themselves on having discovered a couple of people before they were famous.  But based on their last couple, it seems they have started to focus more on Big Names instead of lesser knowns

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 7, 2005, 01:51 PM »
I only looked at the most recent disc.  A couple of names I didn't recognize, but that could easily be due to the type of music on there.  I don't listen to much Sarah McLachlan or that type of stuff, so I just sort of had my eyes glaze over at that point. 

Either way, I'd suspect that's the impetus for our local station. 

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #146 on: January 7, 2005, 07:37 PM »
Death was at the Gothic Theater.

Who in the hell are you?

Forced Entry with Obituary. Ernst went with us to that...

We had a lot of weed for that Priest show, but no lighter. We didn't want to ask anyone because we didn't want to share.

Where have you been.

Monkeys don't even do that.
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2005, 11:46 AM »
Went to my first concert of 2005 last night...

Motley Crue

Through a wierd chain of events, my dad won two free tickets to the show off the radio, so since we were both free, we decided to check it out.

Seats weren't great - center stage, but way up at the top of the Target Center (sect 201, row R), but for free you can't really complain.

The show was actually pretty good (I had low expectations - 4 has-been rockers on a reunion tour).  They kept the new stuff to a minimun, playing 1 set of stuff that was pre-1985, then an intermission, then a second set with post-1985 stuff.

I heard lotsa classics - Girls, Girls, Girls; Too Fast for Love; Dr. Feelgood; Kick Start My Heart; Shout at the Devil; etc.

Overall, a pretty good show..

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 15, 2005, 11:55 AM »
I was under the impression that the guys of Crue were clean now. Aparently I was wrong. So the show wasnt bad? Would you have paid for the tickets?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #149 on: April 16, 2005, 05:17 AM »
Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson have a tour this summer. I think it's been a never-ending thing, but anyway:

May 25 Ft. Myers, Florida-- (Wednesday)
[TOP]
William H. Hammond Stadium
Bob will co-headline with Willie Nelson
Opening act: The Green Cards
Showtime: 6:00 PM
General admission
Tickets will go on sale through Ticketmaster on Saturday, April 23

May 26 Ft. Lauderdale, Florida-- (Thursday)
[TOP]
Ft. Lauderdale Stadium
Showtime: 6:30 PM
General admission

May 28 Kissimmee, Florida-- (Saturday)
[TOP]
Osceola County Stadium
General admission

May 29 Clearwater, Florida-- (Sunday)
[TOP]
Bright House Network Field
General admission

May 30 Jacksonville, Florida-- (Monday)
[TOP]
Metropolitan Park
Reserved seats in stands, General admission on the field

June 1, Chattanooga, Tennessee-- (Wednesday)
[TOP]
BellSouth Park
General admission
Tickets will go on sale through E Tix on Saturday, April 23

June 3, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina-- (Friday)
[TOP]
Coastal Federal Field
General admission
Tickets will go on sale on Saturday, April 23

June 4, Savannah, Georgia-- (Saturday)
[TOP]
Grayson Stadium
General admission

June 5, Birmingham, Alabama-- (Sunday)
[TOP]
Hoover Metropolitan Stadium
General admission

June 7, Greenville, South Carolina-- (Tuesday)
[TOP]
Greenville Municipal Stadium
General admission
Tickets will go on sale through Ticketmaster on Saturday, April 30

June 10, Salem, Virginia-- (Friday)
[TOP]
Salem Memorial Baseball Stadium
General admission

June 11, Greensboro, North Carolina-- (Saturday)
[TOP]
First Horizon Park
General admission

June 12, Zebulon, North Carolina-- (Sunday)
[TOP]
Five County Stadium
General admission

June 14, Bowie, Maryland-- (Tuesday)
[TOP]
Prince George's Stadium
General admission
Tickets will go on sale on Saturday, April 30

June 16, Camden, New Jersey-- (Tuesday)
[TOP]
Campbell's Field
General admission
Tickets will go on sale through Ticketmaster on Saturday, May 7

June 19, Lancaster, Pennsylvania-- (Sunday)
[TOP]
Clipper Magazine Stadium
General admission

June 21, Norwich, Connecticut-- (Tuesday)
[TOP]
Thomas J. Dodd Memorial Stadium
General admission

June 23, Pittsfield, Massachusetts-- (Thursday)
[TOP]
Wahconah Park
General admission

June 26, Eastlake, Ohio-- (Sunday)
[TOP]
Classic Park
General admission

June 28, Nashville, Tennessee-- (Tuesday)
[TOP]
Herschel Greer Stadium
General admission

June 29, Louisville, Kentucky-- (Wednesday)
[TOP]
Louisville Slugger Field
General admission
Tickets will go on sale through Ticketmaster on Saturday, May 14

July 1, Memphis, Tennessee-- (Friday)
[TOP]
AutoZone Park
General admission
Tickets will go on sale through Ticketmaster on Saturday, May 21

July 2, Little Rock, Arkansas-- (Saturday)
[TOP]
Ray Winder Field
General admission

July 4 Fort Worth, Texas--
[TOP]
Willie Nelson's 32nd Annual 4th of July Picnic
Fort Worth Stockyards
Tickets on sale through Ticketmaster on April 25th.

July 6 Tulsa, Oklahoma--
[TOP]
Drillers Stadium
Reserved seats in the stands, general admission on the field
Tickets will go on sale through Star Tickets on Saturday, April 30

July 8, Sauget, Illinois-- (Friday)
[TOP]
GMC Stadium
General admission

July 9, Cedar Rapids, Iowa-- (Saturday)
[TOP]
Veterans Memorial Stadium
General admission

July 12, St. Paul, Minnesota-- (Tuesday)
[TOP]
Midway Stadium
General admission
Tickets will go on sale through Ticketmaster on Saturday, May 14

-----------------------

They play Cedar Rapids. Kick ass. I have little interest in seeing Willie, but I'd like to see Bob.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk