Author Topic: A thread about concerts.  (Read 164358 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: A thread about concerts.
« Reply #495 on: July 1, 2010, 10:18 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I'm still excited about it, but I want to hear the classics... I say play more songs if you have to.  Your vantage point looks great.  I'm apparently in the pit.  I have seat numbers, but my buddy tells me that it's an open floor.  The show here is on the 18th.  I'm still excited to see them again.

I bought a lot of concert tickets in the last week or two....

DEVO is coming on August 5th... the Black Keys are coming a day or two later and the girlfriend wants to see them.

And KISS is coming back on September 3rd (I think it's the 3rd).  We got row 22 in the center section for that. 
« Last Edit: July 1, 2010, 10:21 AM by Rob »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 1, 2010, 02:13 PM »
I can post a set list for you if you want?  It's been pretty consistent so I imagine you'll get about the same.  Or you can just dig through the Maiden board and find one there too. 

The Pit in Winnipeg was huge; apparently the biggest on the tour so far.  Apparently it often is set up like the map you posted - small with seats on either side.  But for Winnipeg the entire floor area from the front of the stage back to the end seats in the arena was all pit, so well over a thousand people there.  It was pretty nutty to watch. 

Our seats were pretty much perfect from my standpoint.  I'd rather be on the floor out front for any show but only if there are seats that are assigned.  So we were off to the side of the stage and up just far enough to see over the bank of speakers on the left side.  There was a little we couldn't see at times and we couldn't see the drum kit at all, but we could see backstage so it was most excellent. 

Oddly I have no tickets for other shows now.  Neil Young is playing a couple of shows later in July, but I'm in Vancouver that week so I'll miss that.  I might get Kid Rock/Bon Jovi tickets for free and I'd be happy with that price but otherwise won't go to that show.  They haven't announced much for the fall here at all which is quite weird and I have to wonder if that wasn't somehow tied to hockey and NHL possibly coming back because September - November is usually when we see a ton of shows.  But I assume they'll announce some other shows sooner rather than later.  Roger Waters has been hinted at a bunch for The Wall tour, so here's hoping. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 9, 2010, 08:13 PM »
I'm very much looking forward to a Lady Gaga concert in August! She is an all-around amazing performer, there's no doubt her show will be great!
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 13, 2010, 07:30 AM »
Up next in June: The Haunted, Lamb of God and Ignite  >:D

Hold on, is this Ignite, as in the old Revelation Records hardcore band Ignite?

They've been at the top of my list of bands I wish I could see but never have for years.... they never seem to play shows outside of California or Europe...

Yes, it's that Ignite! Great show, but Lamb of God was even better. The Haunted was a bit disappointing, though.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 13, 2010, 10:55 PM »
Yes, it's that Ignite! Great show, but Lamb of God was even better. The Haunted was a bit disappointing, though.

That is very cool.  I hope to get to see them someday... If they ever leave California and Europe for the rest of the US... :)

I just found out that Snapcase is doing a reunion show in Chicago, I'm geeked up about that. 

Iron Maiden is next weekend... Devo is August 5th... Black Keys on the 7th, then KISS is September 3rd.

I love this city.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 19, 2010, 04:32 PM »
What'd ya think of the show Rob?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 19, 2010, 06:04 PM »
I had a blast.  It wasn't the set list I'd have written, but it was still great.  I was probably about 25-30 feet away from the stage in the middle of the pit... it was loud... they sounded fantastic.

The only negatives for me were that I think Dreamtheater is pretty bad, and there was no giant animatronic Eddy at the end...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 19, 2010, 07:15 PM »
Whoa, no Eddie?  We got Eddie but none of my pics turned out unfortunately. 

Did you have seats in the pit or just standing room only?  And if the latter, how was it.  Our pit looked rather unenjoyable unless you were 200 + lbs. 

BTW, we never got Dreamtheater here, the only tour stop without them but we got something even worse.  We skipped the opening act and chose to drink more beer elsewhere, but our opening act lasted only 20 minutes and got boo'd off the stage after being pelted with beer during their set.  Ouch. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 20, 2010, 01:30 AM »
Yeah, there was a smaller animatronic devil for Number of the Beast and there was an Eddie in a big costume sort of thing... a guy on stilts.  No giant one though, I was surprised by it.  If they had it in Canada, they probably had it here.  Maybe it was broken.

We did NOT have seats despite my ticket having a seat number on it.  It was crowded, and incredibly hot in there, but it wasn't too bad as far as people bouncing around.  Everyone pretty much stood in their place and didn't run around or anything.   I did manage to get pictures and some videos, once I get them out of the phone I'll throw some up here.

I'd never been to the venue before, so while we were there we checked out where our Kiss seats are... row 21 (U), center section.  They're pretty solid, and we have proper seats for that one, which I think will be good.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 01:31 AM by Rob »

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 21, 2010, 07:24 AM »
Seats in a pit? That's gonna be fun to watch  ::)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 21, 2010, 11:36 AM »
The Haunted was a bit disappointing, though.

Really? How so? Those guys usually destroy live, even with the old singer. You can't beat the Bjorler brothers for modern thrash guitar gymnastics.   :)

Lamb of God is from right here in Richmond. I used to see those guys all over town, when I still socialized. Liked 'em better as Burn the Priest. That split with Zed is epic!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 3, 2010, 05:24 PM »
KISS tonight.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 28, 2010, 07:06 AM »
Roger Waters was great last night.

The music was great and the performance of "The Wall" was so cool. Neat to see a concert and a show in one.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 28, 2010, 11:55 AM »
Two questions here...

I'm considering going to see Ozzy/Slash in January when they are here in Dallas together.  Has anyone seen Ozzy before and was his concert good?  I'm assuming it was.

Slash is out pushing his solo album and is opening that night.  Has anyone seen the solo performance?  If not, how was he live with VR and GnR?  I'm assuming VR was pretty good with him being most of the way "clean" at the time.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 28, 2010, 12:06 PM »
I saw Ozzy about 10-15 years ago on the first tour with Zakk Wylde. He was pretty terrible...forgot the words, didn't move around much except to clap, just kind of lame and lifeless show overall.

That was waaaay before the TV show though, so maybe he has improved/cleaned up his act since then...

I just bought tickets for a killer show next week - epic Bay Area Thrashers FORBIDDEN have reformed and are doing a one off show here in VA prior to their Fall tour with Overkill. All-time favorite metal band, hands down.

Should be massive!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy