Author Topic: A thread about concerts.  (Read 164324 times)

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
Re: A thread about concerts.
« Reply #540 on: May 16, 2012, 10:25 AM »
Holy ****...that was a long way off back then.  For some reason I thought your post was about his first leg.

In this case, I'll let you know how it goes.  Don't know how I'll fare on the psychedelic substance front, but I'm sure I'll imbibe something.

Saw the show last night. It was pretty epic. I'd never seen anything like that.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 16, 2012, 09:42 PM »
Excellent.  The show here is about two weeks away.  Very much looking forward to the show. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 16, 2012, 10:50 PM »
Excellent.  The show here is about two weeks away.  Very much looking forward to the show.

Ditto... & 2 days before you...  :P

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 17, 2012, 10:20 PM »
I was still a little groggy when I posted that, but I'll just say, it was far and away the coolest thing I've ever seen. So much more than a concert...it was a whole theatrical performance.  The meaning has changed a bit, too, so there is more than just spectacle. Instead of being almost self-indulgently introspective about the difficulties of being a rock star, it's taken on a bigger meaning about society and togetherness in spite of institutional and commercial forces. It was just amazing, and really a dream come true to have seen.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 20, 2012, 01:23 AM »
Geez, maybe I will have to get stoned to enjoy it.  Sounds way too serious.   :P

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 22, 2012, 12:39 AM »
Picked up tics for the Queen Extravaganza. Not really the same but hoping a nice tribute to Queen... the concert back in 1977 was great... miss Freddie ...  :'(

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 30, 2012, 01:51 AM »
I was still a little groggy when I posted that, but I'll just say, it was far and away the coolest thing I've ever seen. So much more than a concert...it was a whole theatrical performance.  The meaning has changed a bit, too, so there is more than just spectacle. Instead of being almost self-indulgently introspective about the difficulties of being a rock star, it's taken on a bigger meaning about society and togetherness in spite of institutional and commercial forces. It was just amazing, and really a dream come true to have seen.

Saw Roger Waters tonite... Ho Lee ******' ****! Epic!  8)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 1, 2012, 09:10 PM »
Going to see Danzig and Doyle do a Misfits set tomorrow.  Can't freaking wait.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 2, 2012, 12:21 AM »

:o

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 5, 2012, 04:58 PM »
Rock Am Ring in Germany was great. Awesome performances by the bands of old, like Metallica, Machined Head, Lamb of God. I'm not much for alternative rock anymore, but Shinedown put up a good show. Tenacious D was hilarious and man, do they have a fanbase in Germany! Unbelievable!

Skrillex was also there. My buddy's all over that guy, but I just don't get it. I mean, R2-D2 can do the same trick.

Anyway, I'm super happy my home town has a genuine, decent venue now (www.metropool.nl). I used to drive 100 miles to Amsterdam to see live music, but haven't been there in a long time, now that I can just hop on my bike and go see whoever I like. Prices are still really fair as well, so I'm gonna see Fear Factory, Soulfly, Gov't Mule for sure :D

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 6, 2012, 12:48 PM »
Scored 4th row center for the Fresh Beat Band in October - whoo hoo - rock on!!  Bought the party package for my 7 year-old.  Backstage pre-show dance party and meet and greet with the band and a bunch of freebies.  Her head is going to explode!  (Mine probably will too after about the 3rd song)  Those tickets were harder to score than for any other show I have been to.  I have to drive all the way to Ashville from Charlotte because everywhere else sold out in minutes.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 27, 2012, 01:15 PM »
Saw Neil Young and Crazy Horse last night.  Pretty damn enjoyable.  Not the most rambunctious crowd I've been a part of, but most everyone in my area seemed to enjoy the show.

Walk Like a Giant was epic and stole the show.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #552 on: November 27, 2012, 09:35 PM »
Saw GNR in Vegas the night before Thanksgiving. Pretty awesome as always.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: November 28, 2012, 04:18 PM »
Scored 4th row center for the Fresh Beat Band in October - whoo hoo - rock on!!  Bought the party package for my 7 year-old.  Backstage pre-show dance party and meet and greet with the band and a bunch of freebies.  Her head is going to explode!  (Mine probably will too after about the 3rd song)  Those tickets were harder to score than for any other show I have been to.  I have to drive all the way to Ashville from Charlotte because everywhere else sold out in minutes.

I can't believe I'm just seeing this.  We actually debated taking my daughter when they were here in Dallas.  However, tickets were over the top expensive and my daughter's interest was starting to wane.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 28, 2012, 04:37 PM »
A little late in adding this one, but last month I got to attend Love for Levon at the New Jersey Meadowlands.  It was a tribute to the late singer & drummer of The Band, Levon Helm.  Levon passed during the spring, but his dying wish was that his friends and family keep his Woodstock, NY barn / studio running, along with the series of performances called the Midnight Ramble.

This was really an amazing experience, and one of the more moving concerts I've ever attended!  Especially when you look at the roster of artists who turned up:

•Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)
•John Mayer
•My Morning Jacket
•Eric Church
•Ray LaMontagne
•Dierks Bentley
•Joe Walsh (The Eagles, The James Gang)
•Gregg Allman (The Allman Brothers Band)
•Grace Potter (Grace Potter & The Nocturnals)
•Garth Hudson of The Band
•Marc Cohn
•Jakob Dylan (The Wallflowers)
•Mike Gordon (Phish)
•Warren Haynes (The Allman Brothers Band, Gov't Mule)
•John Hiatt
•Bruce Hornsby
•Jorma Kaukonen (Jefferson Airplane, Hot Tuna)
•The Levon Helm Band
•John Prine
•Robert Randolph (Robert Randolph & The Family Band)
•Mavis Staples (The Staples Singers)
•Lucinda Williams
•Don Was

The whole show was recorded, and I expect that it's going to be released on BluRay / DVD some time in the next year.  Proceeds from the concert went to helping keep Levon's barn going.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback