Author Topic: A thread about concerts.  (Read 164335 times)

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: A thread about concerts.
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2004, 11:58 AM »
Don't get out to concerts much anymore, but reading this thread has brought back some fine (and not so fine) memories of past concerts. As for the good shows, the best were Tool, Liz Phair (first tour, not this piss she's singing now), early No Doubt, Radiohead/Belly (first tour), Weezer (first tour), Green Day and Shudder to Think. All, except Tool and No Doubt, were at small venues--which really are the best.

As for the worst; saw Incubus, Linkin Park and Blink-182 about 3-4 years ago and regret every minute. Maybe the CDs sounded okay at one time, but LP and Blink have absolutely no clue as to how to perform live (unless you include singing off-key and constantly smacking the upraised hands of the audience). As for Incubus, just no energy at all, and they were basically upstaged by their opening act...Hoobastank. Yes, Hoobastank.

I'm also beginning to recall all the small-club concerts I used to attend while in college. Most had bands that were never very popular and are all but forgotten now. Most of the time, the big lure was the full-bar at the club...yum! ;)
I recall seeing (I think): Little Caesar, Company of Wolves, The Four Horsemen, Junkyard, Firehouse (not Firehose) and Saigon Kick, among others that are still too foggy. I think I still have my ratty Junkyard shirt. Good times.  :D

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2004, 02:58 PM »
Top 10 concerts I have been too. Keep in mind that I am a closed-minded metal fan and have reduced my options to metal shows. No offense to other music, I just found my niche and stayed there. All venues are Denver Colorado...
10. Ozzy Osbourne (No More Tears song on the album), McNichols Arena with Sepultura (Max was fronting/Chaos AD) & Alice in Chains (AOC with dog on cover). Amazing! Ozzy was pretty good, but Sepultura ripped and Alice in Chains was amazing. Layne had a broken leg, so he hobbled out and kicked it on an old couch and belted everything out perfectly.
9. Judas Priest (Painkiller tour) McNichols Arena with Testament (Souls of Black) & Megadeth (Rust in Peace)
8. Sepultura - Roots (with Max) - Ogden Theatre & Sepultura - Beneath the Remains tour - Azatlan Theatre
7. Forced Entry, Atrophy & Coroner - Azatlan
6. Obituary - any
5. Vio-Lence & Defiance - Colorado indoor Sports Complex (like a high school gym).
4. Death, Pestilence & Carcass
3. Clash of the Titans - Red Rocks - year? - this was the order the bands appeared - Alice in Chains (Facelift tour), Anthrax (Persistence of Time), Megadeth (late Rust in Peace) & Slayer closed (Seasons in the Abyss)
2. Lamb of God - Headbanger's Ball Tour - Ogden Theatre - 2003.
1. Metallica - Ride the Lightning tour (1984-85) with Armored Saint (March of the Saint - the old band that John Bush of Anthrax used to front) at the Rainbow Music Hall (seating capacity was 500 max). General admission and sat (stood and headbanged is more like it) 9th row center.
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2004, 06:26 PM »
I'm off to Rush on Memorial Day I think it is...  My friend's a huge Rush nut, and insists we all go, so I'm always up for seeing ONE concert a season.

Honestly, Concerts aren't my thing though...  I'd sooner listen to a CD than stand around an entire evening trying to see some pin-head sized people on a stage hundreds of yards away, listening to people scream, yell, and watching the most challenged individuals I'll ever see annoy me while they "have a good time".

I'll have fun at the concert, I'll drink and have fun being with my friends, but I find they're just not things I would push to partake in.  I'd be just as content to listen to rush on my buddy's sound system at his place while we all get together to BBQ.  

I may be in the minority there, but that's me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2004, 08:03 PM »
The Pixies are going to be in Austin on 9/18 for the ACL Music Festival, and their only other Texas dates are in October:  in Houston on 10/17, and in Grand Prairie on 10/19.

Pollstar

(Might have to hit that Grand Prairie show myself. . .)

And that Curiosa tour hits Dallas on 8/14--just about ten days before the Lollapalooza tour.  

Cure/Curiosa info

We have great seats for the Pixies show (I thought it was in Sept-my bad). None of those others have gone on sale yet. Lollapalooza was scheduled the 13 & 14 here. Did that site confuse Lollapalooza and Curiosa, or do they have a clusterEFF on their hands?

Just last week they had Lollapalooza on the 13-14. Hmmmm...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 08:09 PM by SPIDERLEGS »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2004, 10:35 AM »
Well, after the incredible high I got this weekend after the fantastic Velvet Revolver show, what a downer:

Lollapalooza 2004 cancelled.

:-[
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2004, 05:30 AM »
Well, it looks like my concert-going may be picking up quite a bit in September:

• Friday, Sept. 3rd:  Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson
  • Friday, Sept. 17th:  Wilco at the Granada in Dallas
  • Friday, Sept. 17th, through Sunday, Sept. 19th:  Austin City Limits Music Festival
The ACL festival features some really great bands:  Wilco, The Pixies, Cat Power, My Morning Jacket, Modest Mouse, Ben Kweller, Kelly Willis, Shelby Lynne, Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals, Elvis Costello, Chris Robinson, and many, many more.

http://www.aclfestival.com/

Am hoping now to head down to Dallas, and see Wilco play on Friday, 9/17, and then follow them down to Austin and check them out along with the rest of the bands on Saturday and Sunday.  

If it works out, it should more than make up from the huge disappointment that was Lollapalooza 2004.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Cory

« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2004, 01:52 PM »
Well, after the incredible high I got this weekend after the fantastic Velvet Revolver show, what a downer:

Lollapalooza 2004 cancelled.

:-[

Crazy to think that a bill filled with late 80's college rock bands wouldn't be a complete sellout?

I'm really excited for the 2004 NC State Fair. We get Clay.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2004, 03:50 PM »
Crazy to think that a bill filled with late 80's college rock bands wouldn't be a complete sellout?

Damn!

You got me, Mr. Clever.

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2004, 05:45 PM »
My wife and I went and saw an up close and personal engagement with Sarah McLachlan at a little bar here in town. She played a few songs and talked with the audience. We won tickets to it. Sarah is cool, I like some of her songs, but my wife is nuts for her music. I'm glad we got to go because it was awesome to her.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2004, 10:20 PM »
I just found out the Pixies will be dropping near here in October. Happy day!
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2004, 11:48 PM »
They're here in Dallas in October too. We got good seats.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2004, 06:33 PM »
Just saw Tim McGraw with Big & Rich last nite here in So Cal.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #117 on: August 7, 2004, 02:00 AM »
Going to see Big Bad Voodoo Daddies at the Hollywood Bowl tonight (Saturday).  Should be fun.  We used to watch them in college all the time, when they were just starting out, and would play the Santa Barbara club scene at least once a month.  Good times...   8)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2004, 02:44 PM »
Guess which lucky Pearson is going to a concert tonight?

Not me!

Wifey is bringing Son #1 to his second show, I get the lucky break of staying home and watching son #2, whew

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2004, 06:27 PM »
Wow, you missed that one. Lucky.

Did you get that e-mail from the 10c about tix for Pearl Jam? Thankfully, I actually have a chance to get some. Yay. Too bad they're $50 each, though.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk