Author Topic: 2016 Hasbro 6" Fans' Choice Poll Discussion  (Read 18649 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
2016 Hasbro 6" Fans' Choice Poll Discussion
« on: July 6, 2016, 09:51 AM »
Please use this thread for discussion on the 2016 Black Series 6" fan choice poll and/or the voting so we can keep the other thread nice and tidy (to make it easier to count votes) - thanks!
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Hasbro 6" Fans' Choice Poll Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 6, 2016, 10:52 AM »
Whew, I was worried we wouldn't have a separate thread to complain in... :P

Just please no more EU stuff...there's too many iconic OT characters they still need to trawl out and I don't think we can take anything for granted anymore with the scattershot, glacial pace of releases they seem to prefer. (Hasbro)

Rest of the bounty hunters, cantina goons, etc gonna need a lot of help, imho.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 6, 2016, 10:57 AM »
Agreed McMetal!!!   ;D

Here was my list from two years ago.  Only one of these has been made with two others being rumored ::)

• Tusken Raider
  • Lando Skiff Guard
  • ANH Obi-Wan
  • Jawas
  • Wicket / Ewoks
  • Gamorrean Guard
  • ANH Leia
  • Emperor's Royal Guard
  • AOTC Padme Arena Battle
  • Snowtrooper

I do really like the 6" line and think overall they've done a good job, but it's surprising that Hasbro has only released one of these figures in the past two years and it was only because the same figure appeared in TFA. 

I've said this before, but I really think they should mix in OT/PT/EU characters with current movie release figures.  I could have done without Constable Zuvio, General Hux, Resistance Trooper, Flametrooper, and a few others in favor of any of the above figures.  I'm glad that I got all those TFA figures, but I could have waited a few years on some of them.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2016, 11:31 AM by Dave »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 6, 2016, 11:19 AM »
This should be a fun fireworks show... people on Reddit (through Yakface) are voting for figures like Rey with gloves and scarf, or the Heavy Gunner FO Stormtrooper. Totally different mindset from us over here. ;)

Either way, I look forward to not being able to find the winning figure in stores.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 6, 2016, 11:23 AM »
I looked at my list from last year and two of the figs I wanted are on their way: AT-AT Driver and Sabine. I'm happy with that.

I voted for Darth Talon last year but left her off my list this year and swapped out a couple others for Asajj, Aurra and Bo-Katan. I really want Hera from Rebels to go with Sabine so she got my number 2 vote behind Jaxxon (because I'm an *******  >:D). And I'm still voting for the other TESB Bounty Hunters.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #5 on: July 6, 2016, 11:59 AM »
Bo-Katan was a great choice and nearly convinced me to add her to my list, but I went with Amidala in her Red Throne Room Dress. I just saw it at the SW costume exhibit in Times Square last week and was reminded of how iconic and powerful it is. Padme had a million looks in the PT but if we only get one in the 6 inch line this would be my pick.

I don't get some of the hysteria I've read this morning elsewhere about this. I mean, who thought it was anything other than a poll? But then I don't get the hysteria about toys in general, so... anyways. I do think it would be great for Hasbro to have a SA 3 3/4" poll and cater to that crowd a little, but I'm not sure what people want there either really.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: July 6, 2016, 12:20 PM »
there's too many iconic OT characters they still need to trawl out and I don't think we can take anything for granted anymore with the scattershot, glacial pace of releases they seem to prefer.

You mean like how we're nearly three and a half years into the 6" line and they are finally getting around to ANH Ben Kenobi?  Or how they still haven't made a single Lando or C-3PO figure yet?  Glacial indeed.

I guess you need to hope that more OT characters make the "top 6" choices for round 2 (or Top 7, if they have to put a female in there to appease the masses like they did with Sabine last year :-X).  From last year's poll, four of the seven Round 2 finalists ended up with figures (Revan, Sabine, Ben, Snowtrooper). 

I don't get some of the hysteria I've read this morning elsewhere about this. I mean, who thought it was anything other than a poll?

Maybe some of those sites shouldn't have been running around for the past two weeks saying, "OMG you guys - big Hasbro announcement coming!!" every few days.   :-X

Eh, either way, there was always going to be a segmet of fandom that reacted poorly to the new poll news I suppose.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 6, 2016, 12:27 PM »
I'd love to see a Droideka in 6" scale (didn't make my cut in top 10 though) if Hasbro could tool the figure to collapse into roller mode.

I also agree with Darby about Padme.  The Theed Invasion gown is iconic and the one I would choose for 6" scale, but for some reason her Geonosis Arena Battle outfit is a favorite (I find it the most boring of her outfits)

I'd also love for Hasbro to get back to focusing on "iconic" characters in the saga.  I think a big mistake they did for TFA was to release characters other than the main and secondaries.  There were (IMO) only four (Asty, Guavian, Zuvio, and Resistance fighter), but they hung around and should have been Luke, Maz, and Resistance Rey instead.  Save the background characters for the 3.75" line.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2016, 12:46 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 6, 2016, 12:39 PM »
I'd love to see a Droideka in 6" scale (didn't make my cut in top 10 though) since one would  Hasbro could tool the figure to collapse into roller mode.

That would be cool.

I'm a little surprised there haven't been themed (exclusive?)"battle packs" of 6" figures created for $50.  Throne Room Battle - Droideka, Battle Droid, and Throne Room Amidala.  AOTC Arena Battle - Padme, Geonosian, Mace Windu.  Jabba's Sail Barge.  Cantina. Bespin Carbon Freeze, etc.

We've had the beast packs (e.g. Luke/Wampa), the leaded astromech 3-pack, and the Target TFA two pack.  Other than that I don't think we've had anything other than single carded figures.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 6, 2016, 02:34 PM »
Bo-Katan was a great choice and nearly convinced me to add her to my list, but I went with Amidala in her Red Throne Room Dress. I just saw it at the SW costume exhibit in Times Square last week and was reminded of how iconic and powerful it is. Padme had a million looks in the PT but if we only get one in the 6 inch line this would be my pick.

I agree. There are only a couple of Amidala outifts I'd really like to see with that being one of them. I also like the blue Tatooine dress from AOTC.

I don't get some of the hysteria I've read this morning elsewhere about this. I mean, who thought it was anything other than a poll? But then I don't get the hysteria about toys in general, so... anyways. I do think it would be great for Hasbro to have a SA 3 3/4" poll and cater to that crowd a little, but I'm not sure what people want there either really.

I think it's because people either assumed it was another SDCC action figure announcement or something to do with marketing going forward now that TFA is winding down and we'll be on Rogue One.  I thought I recalled Hasbro basically saying that their SDCC figure this year would be a Rogue One preview figure (like the Stormtrooper last year) and we were assuming it would be the new Death Trooper.

I'd love to see a Droideka in 6" scale (didn't make my cut in top 10 though) if Hasbro could tool the figure to collapse into roller mode.

Like the POTJ Mega Action figure? That's not actually a terrible figure, it does roll up and I think it's still in scale with the Black Series 6" line. If Hasbro still has the molds for that it seems like it could be easy money.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 6, 2016, 03:38 PM »
Actually, this is exactly what I expected when they said there was a Hasbro announcement, although some sites did make it seem like something better. I'm also surprised how much anger there is over Hasbro offering us a Fan's Choice again ( again, on other sites). Sure, many (most) of us would rather see this be a SA 3 3/4" poll....and to see that line alive and striving again, but it just doesn't seem like it is going to happen now. I know it is the nature of the Internet, and often collectors, but I hate to see all the negativity surrounding our beloved franchise, particularly where action figures are concerned.

I personally enjoy the 6" line, but feel that 3 3/4" IS Star Wars, complete with vehicles, beasts, and ideally playsets, and I'm happy getting both right now. I don't have the hatred for 5 POA that some do, although I wish there was more of a middle ground with both articulation and price. Regardless, we really had a golden run of stuff there through lines like TAC or TVC, that covered most of OT/PT wants. It is a new era of collecting now, apparently.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: July 6, 2016, 05:25 PM »
Grrrrr rawr robble rabble robble. #"Fan's"Choice

:)

But yeah given the general attitude of some readers why promote that that hard only to turn around and deride it in another timeline post?  That's kind of manic.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 6, 2016, 06:01 PM »
Grrrrr rawr robble rabble robble. #"Fan's"Choice

:)

But yeah given the general attitude of some readers why promote that that hard only to turn around and deride it in another timeline post?  That's kind of manic.

We wouldn't be talking about JTA would we? The TMZ of SW collectibles reporting. "Here's a thread to vote! Here's the thread to bitch!"

I'm mostly OK with the 5POA and I was mostly OK with the Walmart BS line until Hasbro's crappy choice in character attire for this last wave. I don't know if it was a Hasbro thing or a Lucasfilm/Disney thing or a JJ edited the movie thing, but while the TFA figures looked nice, the character and vehicle choices were terrible. Breaking the basic line into the Snow/Desert and Jungle/Space assortments didn't help when it came to stores getting waves with desirable figs.

The 6" BS line has done better but there are some head-scratcher choices in there (Phase 1 Clone Troopers and Cody before ANH Obi or Phase 3 Rex for example). I'm happy for a poll but how many lists are gonna pop up with C-3PO or Sabine or Revan on them because people/sites don't pay attention.

E...

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 6, 2016, 06:37 PM »
I have Threepio on my list.  ;)  I just don't want a TFA version

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: July 6, 2016, 08:41 PM »
I went around to see ya know, who all was participating in general...  I figured given the last poll maybe some sites would say piss on it, but then I saw all the "You'll want to be here", and then the "This sucks, we know" that followed it...  I just...  I dunno what to say ya know?  Then why did you tell everyone to be here!?

Anyway, hey, whatever...  I am not a big 6" collector, except for the Bandai kits and a Bossk Figure (I'm voting Tarkin and Rebel troops to have something in there I'd cave and buy), so I kind of admire it from afar...  And I'm not really bothered this isn't a 3.75" poll because if you've not seen the writing on the wall yet, you're unable to be helped.  I mean I'd love one, don't get me wrong, I just don't expect there to be one because clearly Hasbro WANTS collectors to go to 6" scale and 3.75" to be for kids.

I didn't like the 5POA and while I bought more than I thought I would (I can customize a lot of what they made I think), and I like improvements like "skirt" pieces and working holsters, I still can't back that line completely.  I'm an articulation guy at heart and will always feel Hasbro CAN, and SHOULD find some medium area where some figures have knees and elbows/wrists, while others maybe have just elbows/wrists and some are salt shakers (like that WM Leia should've been maybe).  I can get behind that.  I loved figures in 2006 and 2007, so I can get into that.  I just can't get into an all 5POA line at this point.

And yeah vehicle choices were odd, but I chalk that up to the Zuvio effect of a film not being done, and Hasbro being left a puzzle that's missing many pieces to build a toy line off of.  I swear that Sand Speeder had to be in the film in some capacity to get a MM and a full size vehicle haha.  Hey, at least it's a kinda nice toy.  Better than those smaller vehicles we got with the line's release, Rey's speeder aside.

But yeah...  I mean...  6" is it.  It's THE scale I guess.  Or it's the one Hasbro wants you to want, and to jump to, and be happy for the myriad of figures you got in 3.75", and I am...  Maybe customizing helps ease that pain some?  It doesn't eliminate it though, and I still want SA too. 

Anyway, I watch the poll from afar, put my vote in here...  I don't see the need to flip the **** out and bitch about Hasbro letting fans pick something, even if it's a scale maybe people are avoiding.

I think on their character choices they're trying too hard to appease too many at one point maybe?  Like Clone fans, OT fans, obscurity fans, alien fans, trooper fans, main fans...  I dunno.  It's all over the board though it seems.  Given TCW and Rebels status I'd think they'd maybe want to do more of those if they can, rather than waiting to spit one out here and there.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77