Author Topic: 2016 Hasbro 6" Fans' Choice Poll Discussion  (Read 18778 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Hasbro 6" Fans' Choice Poll Discussion
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2016, 09:58 PM »
Voted Dengar since that's the only figure I would actually buy.

Scrolled through a bit of the comments section and saw people discussing naming their kids after Mara Jade and Jaina Solo... noped out of that pretty quick.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2016, 10:44 AM »
We named the dog Jaina!

I voted Talon to stick it to the mouse.

I think of the 4 discarded EU characters, Starkiller might be a "surprise winner", since they made Revan.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2016, 05:30 PM »
The comments are hilarious.  I commented on a bunch, including a jab at a certain other collector site who just can't believe their list didn't end up as the 6 finalists.   ::) #URNotAllThat
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2016, 05:34 PM »
The comments are hilarious.  I commented on a bunch, including a jab at a certain other collector site who just can't believe their list didn't end up as the 6 finalists.   ::) #URNotAllThat

Man, I so wanted to jump into that fray too, but it wasn't worth joining Facebook.

Those people make the worst lot over at Rebelscum seem like a bunch of calm, rational intellectuals by comparison.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2016, 06:34 PM »
Lol had no idea it was that bad.  I've gotta make some time to read that mess.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2016, 08:43 PM »
Made some time...  I liked the mic drop made by that one guy.  That made me lol actually.

A whole lot of EU bashing, then a whole lot of new movie/EU hating...  It seems fairly equal.  It's pretty easy to see how these final 6 came to be, and that's the way the cookie crumbles.  Nothing I'm terribly interested in on a personal level, but not much would've gotten me anyway outside Tarkin or a Rebel Soldier, so I was never the target demo there.

Oh, and I find it interesting that the official site is hosting this, and yet there's a whopping 50k votes there at this point.  Granted, a lot of time is left till Friday sure, but that's a pretty damn low voter turnout.

Cite the choices or whatever, but I think that's fairly representative of where collecting as a whole is at this point...   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2016, 11:57 PM »
54k votes is may more than I would have expected given this is the 6" line.  Talon still ahead by a wide margin...
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2016, 12:21 PM »
Starkiller is pulling ahead of Talon as of this post.

Yeah...RIGGEDEDED.  :P

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2016, 02:10 PM »
There is not even a scintilla of doubt in my mind that the thing is either outright rigged from inception or 5 high school dweebs are just hacking it all up beyond recognition. No way that is a legit sampling.

Starkiller would be slightly less of a bitter pill to swallow, as I did enjoy the game, and there's at least a chance the character could show up in some way shape or form down the road.

Talon is a neat design but you just know Hasbro would wreck it all to hell with those bare arms and legs. Slave Leia 2.0.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2016, 02:51 PM »
I could totally see some sort of PR backlash if Darth Talon won the poll.  The character design really did come across as some sort of fanboy eye-candy, and was not well developed in the LEGACY comic series.  And while it took the outrage police a little while, there was some uproar about Slave Leia when she was on the pegs as part of the Black Series.

If Dengar doesn't turn things around, I would be okay with either Starkiller or Captain Rex.  Rex would be my first choice there, but there are rumblings that a 6" Rex may already be in the works.  And this sentiment isn't about being against female characters.  Believe me, if Hera Syndulla or some iteration of Padme had ranked well in the poll, I would be inclined to vote for them.  But in my mind the LEGENDS status of Jaina Solo, Mara Jade and Darth Talon are some major strikes against them.  Granted, video games don't have canon status.  But I have felt for some time that gamers make up a much larger segment of the fanbase than they may be given credit for, and I think their voices do matter.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2016, 02:58 PM »
Definitely seems strange again this time around, although most of the finalists seemed a little iffy to me too. I'm happy for those who are getting the character they want, but I have to admit the results make me feel more in the minority of this hobby in a way. I thought about starting a separate thread for this, but do you think our collecting crowd are the "dinosaurs" of the hobby now? I know we have a group of all ages here at JD, but it always seemed to have at least somewhat similar opinions on things when it came to these fan lists, as well as the direction of the line, etc.  It seems more and more that the collecting community is so segmented on everything.

I'll admit, JD is the only forum I frequent anymore, so maybe our community is different than some from the other sites. There seems to be so much negativity surrounding the line(s), and I'm honestly very surprised that these EU characters make the cut ahead of things like the Gamorrean Guard, Lando, Royal Guard, etc. It made more sense in the 3 3/4 line, where we have gotten nearly everything, but I'm not sure these characters are necessarily "gimmes" for the 6" scale. Especially with at least half the slots taken up by new movie/media figures each year. Anyways, I just used to think we were a more united group in total as a community, but it sometimes seems now that communities like ours here are the dinosaurs of the hobby. That, or the whole thing is rigged  ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2016, 03:15 PM »
I think it just boils down to a wide range of tastes...  There's a ton of people at other sites that are all jazzed about EU stuff, old EU that is, but 'round these parts we are pretty old school (Face it, most of us are old farts now), and so we gravitate to the old stuff.  While some hate to believe it though, there is a generation that grew up with the PT that have their place too, and I think the EU would resonate with them more, and thus we're seeing what we're seeing.

I've got no dog in the hunt, like I've said, and so I don't think there's a fix in here at all.  I think OT guys just aren't as many as they used to be.

I think Hasbro have ample time to get to much of the OT stuff too...  I think the more obscure OT (ICMG) is a more worthy vote.  I think Dengar will happen because I think they have this clean palette to work with and are going to do so.  I think a Gammie, or Royal Guard will happen too.  I don't think those EU guys had a shot in hell if they didn't make this poll, so to that end I see the EU guy's perspective on this.

I don't care for Talon as a character...  Lame, and Nick's right that that figure was a fan wank if I ever saw one.  But hey, if people want her, so be it.  Starkiller is as interesting in general I think.  I like my TFU figures and Hasbro sure as hell made a lot of them, but hey, he's just another EU dude too.  And that game was popular, for what it was.  Too bad they didn't do the Bounty Hunter game they'd planned because I think it would've been more popular.

Anyway, I see it as nothing to get mad about in general.  It's just supposed to be fun.  If it isn't fun, and there's anger involved, maybe it's time for those people to step back and reevaluate whether collecting is even something they should do at this point.  In the grand scheme this whole thing means nothing really.  The days of fans rallying behind one thing seem to be gone.  No more ICMG-ish fun. :(

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2016, 04:27 PM »
They seriously need to check the data, the voting is rigged.  Talon was ahead by 5 points 24 hours ago with 54k votes.  Suddenly we have 13k new votes to push Starkiller into the lead? Yeah right.  That's tampering.  They should start by checking out Matthew Geoffrey Levine, who commented nonsense countless times to hide another person's earlier comment about vote tampering. 

Let's do the math.  24 hours ago, Talon was at 26% and Starkiller was at 22%.  There were approximately 54,500 votes.  In under 24 hours, there are suddenly 13,000 new votes and Starkiller is up to 27%.  To achieve that, Starkiller had to get roughly 6,500 votes, implying that the other 5 characters all got 6,500 votes COMBINED.  I call shenanigans.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2016, 08:09 PM »
"Hasbro is delighted to announce they are make not one but TWO finalists from the 2016 Hasbro Fans' Choice Poll! In addition to poll winner ________, fan favorite Clone Captain Rex will also make his debut in the Black Series 6" action figure series!"  ;)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2016, 08:49 PM »
I think it just boils down to a wide range of tastes...  There's a ton of people at other sites that are all jazzed about EU stuff, old EU that is, but 'round these parts we are pretty old school (Face it, most of us are old farts now), and so we gravitate to the old stuff.  While some hate to believe it though, there is a generation that grew up with the PT that have their place too, and I think the EU would resonate with them more, and thus we're seeing what we're seeing.

I like when smarter people than me say things that I want to say.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within