Author Topic: Galactic Trading Post 1/12 Displays  (Read 5369 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Galactic Trading Post 1/12 Displays
« on: July 7, 2016, 07:32 PM »
Starting a thread here because I thought some of you might be interested in Death Star Hallways like everyone says they're interested in Death Star Hallways. :P

Via the wonders of Social Media I found a company I'd never heard of called Galactic Trading Post, who have already put out a series of Injection Molded Plastic (IE: Not resin or 3D prints) Space Walls, which just so happen to look a hell of a lot like Death Star Hallways.  They're a new company, but they've already sold out of their initial run of these, and only the 2-wall expansion set is available currently.

That said, I made contact with the company founders, and have talked with them a bit about what they're making now, what they're making soon, and what they're hoping to make in the more distant future!  It's definitely ambitious, and they seem to already have a hit on their hands.  You can read all about it on Our Front Page now!  I'm going to pick up some of the wall expansions out of simple curiosity.  While I'm not a 6" collector at heart, and the initial offerings are in 1/12 scale, I see potential use for them on their sides as 3.75" displays, actually.  I'm excited to pick some up just to see.  Hopefully I'll have some kind of review to slap together for it all.

In the meantime, click the link and read up about them, visit their site, and dream!
« Last Edit: July 7, 2016, 07:34 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Galactic Trading Post 1/12 Displays
« Reply #1 on: July 7, 2016, 08:10 PM »
Glad to see more and more of these shops popping up!  Thanks for the link, Jesse.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: July 7, 2016, 11:01 PM »
What I like, with this group, is they've already set the precedent that they CAN put something out, and they're doing it in a level of quality that transcends resin casting, or 3D Prints...  They're doing actual production injection molded plastic, and using a plastic that is higher-quality and more what you'd see with a lego brick.  It's a message that quality is important.

That's not to say resin work isn't ok, it has its place, but few people realize working with resin can be kind of hazardous.  Plastics in general can be, but resin in particular...  When working with it, in production, people should wear a lot of protective gear, do it in well ventilated and exhausted environments, etc.  And then the final product, there's the issue of working with it for the consumer.  Sanding it, it gives off very fine particles, and it's recommended you wear a respirator mask while you do so.  A lot of people who fiddle with resin as a hobby aren't aware of the danger it poses, actually.

But these walls from Galactic Trading Post, the piece is just injection molded, painted, and shipped out in a very professional packaging as well.  It's a generally interesting thing, and I just stumbled on it on social media a short time back and wanted to get in touch with them and talk about the product before I posted anything about it.  It's really interesting.

And given Hasbro's obvious lack of interest in this as a product they want to develop, but collector interest being what it is, I figured it'd just make sense to say here, what you want is essentially being made.

I was surprised most by their interest in other scales...  When I stumbled on it, I assumed 6" was it, and no hope for them jumping scales...  Quite the contrary, they are looking at 3.75" of course, but then that they were also developing 1/6 sets of some kind, wow...  That blew me away.

I'm going to pick an expansion set up...  It's not a lot of money, and I want to see how these pair up with 3.75" figures as I think there's some hope there.  They're 3" wide, so two on their sides stacked on each other, I think you have a fairly long wall with some nice details, nice coloring, and a little scene all its own, even if it's not made for that scale of figure.  A vent is a vent is a vent, so I think it'll look alright.

For the curious, since I don't have a review to post at this point, The Fwoosh got a review sample and I like his reviews in general...  He's not overly opinionated or brash, just gives you facts, and what he likes about something, or doesn't like as the case may be, and I enjoyed his review on these.  They're sharp as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruCDWUuZ4ro
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 8, 2016, 02:18 PM »
These are awesome.  I will absolutely buy a set when they are available for purchase again.

On a side note, I couldn't figure out how to contact them on the site and their Facebook page is down.   :-\
« Last Edit: July 8, 2016, 02:20 PM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: July 8, 2016, 03:03 PM »
At the top of the page is a kind of menu...  Purchasing pages are under shop.

I ordered the expansion set last night and it shipped today btw.

Here's a link to the starter kit:

http://galactictradingpost.com/shop_single.html

I don't know if you can order while it is back ordered or not though.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 8, 2016, 09:50 PM »
You can't as far as I can tell.  When I we t to pay it said the kit was out of stock.  :-\
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: July 8, 2016, 10:16 PM »
They're waiting on another run of them if I'm to understand it right, so those should be in stock eventually.  I wanted to just see how they are in general so ill post something on the expansion set when it arrives.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 12:40 AM »
OK so I ordered the expansion set, and it arrived today.  Super fast.  And while I couldn't do a review on the 9-piece starter since it's out of stock right now, the guys sent me some "scratch & dent" stuff they had around so I could get more of a feel for everything, and any flaws are SUPER minor (another testament to their commitment to quality first).  I barely could see anything wrong, honestly.  I think one piece has a nick at the corner, but man these are nice.

The quality is what sells it to me, but it goes beyond the materials/production standards.  The depth of the detailing is pretty friggin' amazing.  Think model kit, more than toy, but nothing remotely complex to put together obviously as they just stack side-by-side.

I am going to put some kind of write-up together here.  Take a few pictures (weak as my photography is), and I really want to have it set up with 4" figures around it because I think there's definitely possibilities there for people not wanting to wait for Galactic Trading Post's 3.75" scaled set to come out.

They also told me that, while they don't have a system of "clips" to hold them together yet, they are planning on having one soon.  Making their own little snaps that will hold all the pieces together.

I'll save the rest for later...  Just enjoying them for now.  They're quite fun! :)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 03:34 PM »
Jesse - thanks for taking the time to review these.  Looking forward to hearing more.  If you guys hear anything about the core set coming back into stock please post here.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 09:53 PM »
I've been snapping some pics of mine.  Just have had time to get them set up with 6" and 3.75" figures...  They're awesome.

To coincide with #GoRogue Friday though, GTP has revealed new 1/12 Space Wall additions...

1/12 Space Walls Blast Door Pre-Order Special $37.50!

1/12 Space Walls Deluxe Blast Door Pre-Order $67.50

The Deluxe has extra control panels on the sides, they're painted (not LED lighted), but still looks cool.  I'm going to order the less deluxe one that still looks all kinda badass to me.

Click to pre-order this stuff!  Shipping dates vary I've noticed depending on manufacturing issues or shipping delays and such.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 2, 2016, 01:15 PM »
Wow, those look amazing.  I'm thinking about the deluxe one, but $80 is pretty steep.  I like the special on the hatch by itself too, but still pricey.  I hope these guys have a sale at some point.  :-\

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 07:49 PM »
You can get the last doors with some production damage for cheap.  $30 per.  Get em while you can!

http://galactictradingpost.com/shop_single.html#!/~/cart

I ordered two for 3.75" figure use.  They're 1/12 but I find they're good for smaller figures too.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 07:53 PM by Jesse James »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 04:30 PM »
Only $28 if you buy two, $25 if you buy 4!