Author Topic: Rogue One Rebel U-Wing Fighter  (Read 16446 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Rogue One Rebel U-Wing Fighter
« Reply #30 on: September 2, 2016, 09:43 AM »
That's a lot bigger than I'd imagined it to be though

Yeah, it's a lot bigger then I thought it'd be from looking at those initial pics.  The small underbelly/troop area is what was making it appear to be too small or out of scale, I guess.

I'm probably going to pick one up eventually... if I can find one with a decent Cassian pack-in.  Oof.  Everytime a new "in-hand" pic pops up, the face deco on poor Cassian looks horrible. :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 2, 2016, 10:29 AM »
The wings definitely make this vehicle look a lot bigger.  But seeing the pics of Cassian Andor standing next to the ship?  The size is way off.  And in order for it to have the side-by-side cockpit like we've seen in the trailer, and any sort of troop compartment in the lower portion of the fuselage, we would be looking at a significantly larger ship that would have to be 2 to 3 times as big as this.  That would translate to a significantly higher price tag, too.

Is it disappointing?  Absolutely.  I'd like to see something reasonably screen accurate.  But with the rising costs and associated pricing, I don't know how Hasbro could make a vehicle that might be on par with something like the Republic Gunship or ARC-170.

I'm probably going to pick one up eventually... if I can find one with a decent Cassian pack-in.  Oof.  Everytime a new "in-hand" pic pops up, the face deco on poor Cassian looks horrible. :-\

OMG.  The paint apps I've seen on every sample of Cassian Andor's eyes all seem like they're horrible.  WTF is up with this lately?  First there was the Joan Crawford/WM Black Series Leia, and now we've got Cassian Andor meets Marty Feldman!
« Last Edit: September 2, 2016, 12:34 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #32 on: September 2, 2016, 12:09 PM »
I get one for the kids for sure.  I might even pick one up for my rebel hangar display in my collection room since the nerf feature is concealable.

I'll get a TBS Cassian Andor figure to pilot it.  :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2016, 09:44 AM »
I've seen a few pictures of boxes online that seem to indicate this is shipping in a box all by itself. That means it should be one of the few items you can actually search successfully on Brickseek. (49802129 is the UPC I believe)

But it still shows all of the store around here at 0. Disappointing.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2016, 12:34 AM »
Had my hands on one of these, but was't allowed to buy it. Big, though. Hopefully it'll be worth it.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2016, 01:10 PM »
I finally got to see this up close today at a Walmart that had already put out both it and the TIE Striker. No sign of the A-Wing though. The pack-in figures looked better than a lot of the pictures I have seen online, must be hit or miss.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 2, 2016, 01:59 AM »
I got the U-Wing this past Friday and finally opened it up...  The ship is way under-scaled but is nice unto itself.  Much better than the X-Wing from the TFA lineup! I like the fact that the nerf cannon retracts into the ship so it is hidden.   The wing folding feature is prett cool, though.  It is kind of reminiscent of the folding wings on the old GI Joe Skystriker jet in that you pull a switch on the upper rear of the fuselage and they fold or extend.  Nice to see retractable landing gear as well.  While the cockpit canopy has a cool shape, there is only really basic details inside.  Interestingly, there is a small hole where you can stow Capt. Andor's gun and there's an elastic cord stretched across the cockpit floor to act as a seat belt of sorts.  The Cassian Andor figure is nice and I like it.  I was planning to use a Rebel pilot figure for the pilot, but have kept the Andor figure in it instead.  This ship should have been made at least twice its size and included a usable troop compartment and working ramp, but oh well...  It fits in well enough with my other Rebel ships (especially the X-Wing) so I think I'll just wind up using it as a heavy fighter-bomber or gunship as opposed to a transport.  But still, it's a good effort and fun toy.
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 3, 2016, 02:22 PM »
Sometimes the trailers give me the impression the U-wing isn’t very big. The picture below shows a scene where troops are jumping out. It seems the troop area is below the wings, yet the space in which troops are jumping out of looks to be less than a six or even four foot tall space. I realize I am nerding out in advance, it just seems like these early shots are not explaining the scale of the ship all that well.
http://i2.wp.com/www.swgameoutpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/u-wing-exit-1024x427.jpg?resize=711%2C296
Macklunkey!

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 3, 2016, 02:42 PM »
I've watched this pretty closely too, and I'm not 100% sure that all of the scenes with Jyn in spaceships are all taking place in the U-Wing.  Sometimes they seem to be in a fairly small ship (like the size of The Phantom) and other times they seem to be in a ship the size of The Ghost. 

They probably all do take place in the U-Wing and its just how they're framing the scenes.  You might think the Mil Falcon is smallish just watching the cockpit scenes.  Its not until you put all the scenes together and see the ship from the outside that you get a sense of how big it is.

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 4, 2016, 10:14 AM »
Im curious and apprehensive to see one of these toys in person. I would like to know if a custom compartment could be added to the under carriage to seat four figures or so.
Macklunkey!

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 4, 2016, 01:55 PM »
Im curious and apprehensive to see one of these toys in person. I would like to know if a custom compartment could be added to the under carriage to seat four figures or so.

I get the sense from the Rouge One previews - and even the giant hanging cardboard U-Wing display I've seen at Walmart and other stores - that the U-Wing is a larger ship apparently with a cargo bay or troop compartment that has side doors and a ramp.  The ship certainly is not as big as a light freighter like the Millennium Falcon, though it is likely larger than a standard star fighter like an X-Wing or Y-Wing.  That said, the toy is almost certainly under scaled.  The cockpit only holds one figure and if you were to remove the nerf gun and open up the underside, you could maybe hold 2-3 figures sitting only.

Here is a size comparison shot of the new U-Wing with the Legacy Collection Wedge Antilles X-Wing and another picture showing a profile view of the U-Wing with the Cassian Andor figure for size comparison:

The toy U-Wing appears longer than the X-Wing, but that is only the wings.  Its fuselage, while somewhat beefier, is shorter.  I am not saying that is how those ships compare in-scale since both toys are obviously out of scale...
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: October 4, 2016, 03:13 PM »
Oh yeah the toy isn't anywhere near correct Tman.  It has a dual searing (at least) cockpit and the troop pod which I think must be removable on a "real" one.

Cool design.  I've really enjoyed it coming into the world of ship designs.  Very incom looking and still unique with clear design an purpose beyond a fighter.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #42 on: October 4, 2016, 04:54 PM »
I agree I think the U-Wing troop compartment is most likely modular. The trailers may have confused this (that never happens!) but it seems the ship is a somewhat standard fighter that has been augmented for particular assignments (stealing DS plans).

I love the U Wing. My favorite new ship from the new movies so far. It fits right in with the established ships. I do wish the toy was more authentic but what are you going to do. I'll be buying this one eventually.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #43 on: October 4, 2016, 08:02 PM »
I've been looking at a lot of that kinda stuff lately and the "Vulture" Cargo Shuttles are also apparently part of one large logistics plan that involves modular containers, which makes sense of course since that's more or less how things work here too, but it's very streamlined for the Empire it seems.  Those orange cargo pods in the belly of the AT-ACT are the same that hang under the hull of the shuttle, etc.

It reminds me of the Imperial version of the Gallofree Yards Transports, as the Rebel Transports have basically modular containers locked into a hull shell of sorts.  It's kinda neat to see basically the Empire doing something similar if not a little more organized looking and less cobbled.

I really want the orange cargo pods on the back of the Rhino/Hover tank...  They remind me of a cargo pod in Star Trek: TNG that was kind of ubiquitous and would just turn up here and there in episodes.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77