Author Topic: Westworld (HBO)  (Read 7204 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Westworld (HBO)
« on: October 7, 2016, 11:47 AM »
I caught the premiere Sunday, then watched it again later in the week.  I've been really excited for this series, and I gotta say I wasn't disappointed.  They seeded a number of cool story threads, and this looks like it's gonna be satisfyingly dark and twisted.

I'm most impressed by the actors playing broken androids.  The scene that had the dad, Peter Abernathy, swapping between old and new builds and previous characters he'd been programmed to portray - that was just awesome.  A clinic on acting in general, and on embodying a character in particular.  And doing it while pretending to be buggy and twitchy - amazing.  The guy who played first-gen Old Bill was great as well.

I also really enjoyed what they did with the music.  Converting Black Hole Sun to a player piano piece was great, as was their treatment of Paint it Black.

So - anybody else watching?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: Westworld (HBO)
« Reply #1 on: October 7, 2016, 11:55 AM »
Here's the Paint it Black clip, if anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I3EgQ394_k

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 10:18 AM »
I started watching Ep1 but had to go to work, so I'm episode and a 1/2 behind now. but what I did see I really liked. i'll have to watch from the beginning to catch that music.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 01:30 PM »
Is this another boob fest like Game of Thrones?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 01:47 PM »
Is this another boob fest like Game of Thrones?

There's a lot of naked androids.  Some of it sexy.  Most of it clinical/medical/horror-inducing.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 11:32 AM »
I caught up on this show over the past couple days.  Best I can say is that it looks interesting.  Some good acting, some mystery, some slow burn plotline build-up. Lots of potential.  I'll give it a shot and see where it goes...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: November 1, 2016, 04:14 PM »
I also really enjoyed what they did with the music.  Converting Black Hole Sun to a player piano piece was great, as was their treatment of Paint it Black.

I think I am hooked on this show just for the music covers.  "A Forest" by The Cure two weeks ago and then the awesome NIN cover last Sunday (Something I Can Never Have).

Starting to hope they put out a soundtrack just of these covers...
« Last Edit: November 1, 2016, 04:15 PM by Jeff »

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 1, 2016, 04:32 PM »
ya I'm liking this show a lot
loving ed harris as 'bad guy'

jeff I agree there NEEDS to be a soundtrack
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: November 8, 2016, 12:36 PM »
Spoilers ahead, so watch out -

At this point, I'm 100% behind the fan theory that Logan = Young version of Ed Harris/Man in Black.  Not sure how it's going to play out, but there have been so many hints and signs leaning that way. 

Last weekend's episode was pretty good.  Still not sure whether I'm watching this show for anything more than the music and shoot-outs, though.  Still giving it a chance to build into something though...

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 12:42 AM »
Spoilers ahead, so watch out -

At this point, I'm 100% behind the fan theory that Logan = Young version of Ed Harris/Man in Black.  Not sure how it's going to play out, but there have been so many hints and signs leaning that way. 

Last weekend's episode was pretty good.  Still not sure whether I'm watching this show for anything more than the music and shoot-outs, though.  Still giving it a chance to build into something though...

Interesting, I've been thinking that William = Young Version of Man in Black and that we're actually seeing THREE different time periods all at once, they are:

• William and Logan go to the park, Logan's family is going to invest in it, we're on a path to something pretty bad happening (The "Past")
  • Man in Black (older William) has been coming to the park ever since his brother-in-law took him and he's been going back because his brother-in-law died back in the past and at this point he's just about done everything there is to be done in the park so he wants to go deeper, perhaps because he himself is dying - maybe even that he's under the assumption that the maze can lead to his own consciousness being transferred into a host body. I also think that this is the timeline where Maeve is doing her thing (The "Present")
  • Delores has been through so many loops and so many different roles in the park that, perhaps thanks to Maeve, she herself is now on the path to enlightenment via the maze and the voice she hears is William/Man in Black who achieved his goal of a form of immortal life in this time period's past (The "Future")

I was always curious whether or not this show was a continuation of the original movie or if it was 100% it's own thing and I believe now that it is indeed 100% it's own thing, with the William/Logan story-line basically being a re-enactment of the first movie, perhaps even with the twist that it is right after the death of Ford's partner, Logan is part of the family that owns the Delos corporation and the event that is referred to happening "30 years ago" involves William and Logan during their jaunt in the park.

Of course this is all just speculation on my part, but I think that's why I like this show so much, the story is engaging and moving along at a pretty nice pace and there is no shortage of mystery to keep you guessing and theorizing what is actually happening.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 09:13 AM »
Hell of a twist last night.  Left me speechless.  Every damn actor on this show deserves an Emmy.  I don't think Hopkins has ever been better, which is just mind boggling. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 10:31 AM »
There were a few hints about Bernard along the way, but I was not expecting things to go down the way they did in that lab.  My wife is assuming that the host Ford is building down there must be a replacement for Teresa.Still trying to figure out who nabbed Elsie, hoping she's ok and not a goner too.

Agree 100% about Hopkins and the majority of the cast.  Mauve/Thandi Newton too the way she bobs back and forth in host mode and then with the two tech doofuses.  Solid work all around.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 11:33 AM »
Here's a pretty good interview that digs into the difficulty of acting as a host.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/westworld-bernard-twist-explained-946507

I still think Peter Abernathy's diagnostic in the first episode is the best acting scene I've seen in years.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 1, 2016, 10:53 PM »
Just started (and caught up) watching this show. I had no idea what it was or what it was about when I started last week. I must say, I've really enjoyed it - I wish I would have timed it better to not have to wait a few more days for the season finale.  ;D

The twists and turns have been excellent and I have no idea how it will all play out. I was sort of assuming that the Man in black was going to be Arnold. The acting really has been superb. They really do a great job during the host diagnostics scenes.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 5, 2016, 08:29 AM »
What a great season finale. While it did wrap up a lot of the threads (and theories), I am super interested in seeing where the story goes next. I will refrain from any further commenting since there might be some folks who haven't seen it yet.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!