Author Topic: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory  (Read 7440 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
« on: August 21, 2003, 11:39 PM »
Saw a tidbit on Yahoo today that Tim Burton will be directing a remake of the 70's classic Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Johnny Depp was leading consideration for Willy, other possibilities include Michael Keaton and Christopher Walken...

I didn't read if it was planned on being a musical or not yet...I'm hoping not...

Planned release date is summer '05, hmm same year as Episode III, part of me is more excited to see what comes of this.  I must have read Charlie 1000 times when I was a kid

Offline BobaShek

• Jedi Initiate
  • OT Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 11:40 PM »
Christopher Walken would be the best Willy Wonka ever! :)

"Welcome to my...chocolate factory. Please, scootch closer, children."
« Last Edit: August 21, 2003, 11:41 PM by BobaShek »

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 11:51 PM »
"Oompa Loompa Oompidy Dee"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2003, 09:56 AM »
See that is why I do not want a Musical.  THose guys are feaky...Anything by Burton should be tricked out visually, can't wait on this one

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 11:47 AM »
What happened to Marilyn Manson? He'd be perfect for this part! Not as bankable as Johnny Depp, perhaps, but it'd be a breakout role for him.
Post sober.

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2003, 12:11 PM »
If this is true Scott... I can not wait to see what comes of this.

Willy Wonka is one of my favorite movies of all time... The spooked out acid trip that it is. Tim Burton is also one of my favorite directors of all time... The cooked out flake that he is... Johnny Depp is one of my favorite modern actors...

I can not fathom the darkness Tim will add to it... OK everyone start camping out for Episode III I'll be camping for this one.
Gotta love me or leave me alone....

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2003, 12:18 PM »
Exactly Jimmy, I am starting to be really stoked about this movie

Here is all the latest gossip and rumors

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

SOunds like a Fall 2005 release thought, might be a long camp

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2003, 01:33 PM »
This was HORRIBLE news to me.

Why not just re-release the old one in a 20th anniversary or something?

It's not ready for a remake. Not yet.....

I always loved that movie as a kid, and I'm not sure I want to see it after Tim Burton twiddles around and turns it into a nightmare before Christmas with Oompa Loompas eating fudge bars made of Augustus Gloop....

:)
Got Clones?

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2003, 01:46 PM »
It's not ready for a remake.

I wish someone could have convinced him of that BEFORE he did Planet of the Apes.
Post sober.

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2003, 02:34 PM »
No one will ever be able to top Gene Wilder's performance as Willy Wonka...ever.  
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2003, 04:27 PM »
Eh, the only reason I'd see is if Depp plays Willy Wonka.  Otherwise I could care less.  No offense I really enjoyed the book but I never liked the movie version with Wilder in it.  I don't know why just did not do it for me.  My fiance on the other hand loves that movie.  She is all ready for this movie to come out.  Ep3 is in trouble already.  

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2003, 11:13 AM »
I can see it now: CGI Oompa Loompas crawling around the walls. A Willy Wonka that looks more like Edward Scissorhands than Gene Wilder. Charlie will be a famous brunette chick who's hair will be dyed blonde just for the hell of it.

After his treatment of The Wizard of Oz, I'm sure McFarlane's drooling at the prospect of making a toy line.

This should be interesting.
Post sober.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2003, 11:16 PM »
Read an article in Rolling Stone with Johnny Depp where he says he is pretty much on board for Willy...he said the challange would be to bring something new to him since Gene Wilder pretty much nailed it the first go around

Offline Valtar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Impressive... Most Impressive.
    • View Profile
    • Valtarz Customz 'n' Artz
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2003, 11:55 PM »
No one will ever be able to top Gene Wilder's performance as Willy Wonka...ever.  

I have to agree,  I loved Gene Wilder's performance.  But it would be intresting to see it.  I always loved the story.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: July 1, 2004, 04:33 PM »
Just an update:

June 30, 2004 — From a press release:

Production has commenced in London on "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," a fantasy adventure directed by Tim Burton and based on Roald Dahl's classic tale, for Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures. The announcement was made today by Jeff Robinov, President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

The film stars Oscar-nominated Johnny Depp ("Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl") as ingenious candymaker Willy Wonka, marking the actor's fourth collaboration with director Burton. Twelve-year-old British actor Freddie Highmore, who costars in the films "Two Brothers" and "J.M Barrie's Neverland," and portrayed the young King Arthur in Turner Network's mini-series "The Mists of Avalon," takes on the title role of Charlie.

Joining the ensemble are Helena Bonham Carter, David Kelly, Noah Taylor, James Fox, Missi Pyle and Christopher Lee.

Rounding out the cast as the four lucky children of diverse backgrounds who, along with Charlie, win "golden tickets" in a global contest for an exclusive tour of Wonka's famous factory are: Jordan Fry as Mike Teavee; AnnaSophia Robb as Violet Beauregarde; Julia Winter as Veruca Salt; and Philip Wiegratz as Augustus Gloop.

The film is produced by Brad Grey and Richard D. Zanuck from a screenplay by John August, based on the book, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," by Roald Dahl. Felicity Dahl, Patrick McCormick, Michael Siegel and Bruce Berman serve as executive producers.

Acclaimed director Tim Burton brings his vividly imaginative style to "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," about eccentric chocolatier Willy Wonka, and Charlie, a good-hearted boy from a poor family who lives in the shadow of Wonka's extraordinary factory. Long isolated from his own family, Wonka launches a worldwide contest to select an heir to his candy empire. Five lucky children, including Charlie, draw golden tickets from Wonka chocolate bars and win a guided tour of the legendary candy-making facility that no outsider has seen in 15 years. Dazzled by one amazing sight after another, Charlie is drawn into Wonka's fantastic world in this astonishing and enduring story.

"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" will be released worldwide in 2005 by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, and in select territories by Village Roadshow Pictures.

"Christopher Lee?" - Greg(g)