Author Topic: Lamb of God is metal we need!  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Lamb of God is metal we need!
« on: August 20, 2003, 01:17 AM »
I recently went to a small club in Boulder Colorado and saw the Anthrax 'Taking the Music Back' tour. They came with E Town Concrete and Lamb of God. Anthrax were great as to be expected and are still so energetic and intense live. John Bush has been a favorite since early Armored Saint and having seen Anthrax many times (1st was 'Spreading the Disease' tour), I am still amazed by their presence and talent.

With that said, I was also blown away by Lamb of God. Having never heard of them, they had me captivated and stunned during the entire set. I usually swear off unknown opening acts, but I could not ignore their brilliant musical abilities and overall innovative approach to metal. I went out immediately and bought both of their cds. Their debut, 'New American Gospel' is a breath of fresh air in the stale lungs of contemporary music. They are tight, complex and heavy as a ten ton hammer. It's an astounding effort for a first album.

"As The Palaces Burn' is about 10 times better than their first and that's saying a lot. It's heavier! It's faster and the guitar and drum parts are fluid and complex and just addicting. Since I bought 'Palaces', I haven't listened to anything else and each time it gets better and better!

If you are an old school thrash/death metal fan then you need to pick up some Lamb of God! They are Dream Theater without the Styx lead singer and much heavier. But equally as talentedand just plain harsh! I think of bands like old Max Sepultura, Kreator in their hey day, Dark Angel and even a little Slayer.

I promise you will not be disappointed! Some lead singers are hard to get past in order to enjoy the music. While Randy is gruff and barks out the vocals, he is apt for the music and not overbearing. The lyrics are also poiniant and extremely dark.

Hope you try them and enjoy them as much as I am. If you already like them, chime in and tell me your thoughts.
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Lamb of God is metal we need!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2003, 03:33 AM »
It doesn't sound like bands like Seether or any other dreck that rock radio plays, does it? I needs me some decent metal and everything recent sucks.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 12:23 AM »
good music has been hard to find for some time. While new (metal/heavy) bands like System of a Down, Skin Lab & Machine Head are actually innovative, they can only do so much and so we wait and buy crap or fill the voids in our 'vintage' cd libraries.

Tool, Queens of the Stone Age & Faith No More are older and do some good stuff, but nothing new until Lamb of God has really given me a jolt. I cannot stop! They are just great and with 2 cds to listen 2, I am far from bored. Still trying to decipher lyrics and stop being confused by the velocity and complexity of their musicianship.

Okay, enough pumping them up. Just check them out and let me know what you think!

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 12:32 AM »
Alright, I'll give 'em a try.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Jango Fettish

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2003, 01:00 AM »
I'll check 'em out too, but you know Skinlab and Machine head have both been around atleast 10 years, right?

Rob Flynn just ruined MH. After they lost whatshisname to Soulfly, and got Ahrue Luster, MH just went all Limp Bizkit on us. But, alas, so did Skinlab sort of.

OK, time to listen.

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2003, 01:14 AM »
yeah, I know...

I was referring more to a newer sound than their term of existence. I mean Rob has been around since Vio-Lence (quite possibly the best 'old school thrash band that is lesser known) and the lead singer of Skin Lab was fronting Defiance (another under rated great - Earthquake is classic thrash tune and Beyond Recognition is a must have!) well before he began his Skin Lab stint. I saw MH w/the dread lock dude who went to Soul Fly (The More Things Change... Tour) and just watched stunned. Violated was played and I really fely Rob's message then. He definitely has lost a step as has MH. He also decided to snub his old buddies and decline an invitation to do some reunion music with Vio-Lence...

With Chuck Schulder gone and Paul Ballof having passed (heaviest guy ever) and Eric A. K. retiring from Flotsam, we are in need of a new breed. I hope you feel that LOG is just that as much as I do.

Entombed have lost a little and while still heavy, they don't have the same presence. Dave Mustaine is out? Or is he trying to make it back? And does anyone care that Rob Halford is back in Judas Priest?

I have heard that Chuck Billy is recovered and starting to think about Testament again, Vio-Lence is trying for a comeback...

Where's Forbidden? Obituary? Sacred Reich? Xentrix? Intruder?..

I'll quit rambling. Just need to relay my grief about music being lost and my excitement that LOG may bring me back into the realm of caring about it again.