Author Topic: Oh my God..LobotsDup.com is up and running!!!  (Read 3518 times)

Virex

Oh my God..LobotsDup.com is up and running!!!
« on: August 22, 2003, 08:07 AM »
Well, one of my dreams has come true, I got my dot com up and running!

Lobots Duplex is open for business..er..visitors!

I've got photos of over 4 Lobot items from my collection, all which are carefully categorized!

I want to thank my friend Roger for hosting the site for me, and everyone who always supported me and my collection.

Thanks!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Oh my God..LobotsDup.com is up and running!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2003, 09:43 AM »
What is the significance of the cracker?  Ritz is one of my favorites

Keep up the good work...what is your most prized item and what is your "holy grail"?

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2003, 09:49 AM »
Ah, I so deeply appreciate the humor in this! I think I'll make it my new home page

I should be able to launch Chewie's Condo soon ;)
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2003, 10:12 AM »
And Lando's Swanky Mansion.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Virex

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 10:30 AM »
What is the significance of the cracker?  Ritz is one of my favorites

Well, that's funny that you mention that.  The Ritz cracker is easily the most unique item in my collection of Lobot memorabilia.  Here's the story:

Austin, Texas, January, 1998.  I was attending a Sci-Fi Expo and "The Man" (John Hollis, better known as "Lobot") was there, as a "celebrity".  At this point, I was just a burgeoning Lobot fanboy--I loved him in Empire, and thought he did a pretty good job in whichever Superman movie he was in.  Anyway, word came down that Mr. Hollis was going to be present at a "Dinner with the Stars" at the Holiday Inn lounge on Saturday night, and I just knew that I was going to be there, too.  Fate was on my side, and after I paid for the $45 ticket, I was in like Flynn.

So, Saturday night finally rolls around (after what seemed like days of waiting), and we (that's me and my buddy Gary) head over to the Holiday Inn for our Dinner with the Stars.  As it we took our seats along with other notable celebrities like the guy who played Bib Fortuna and the puppeteer for Salacious Crumb, well, I got a case of the jitters when I saw Lobot himself, and I was too nervous to sit next to him, much less say anything to him.  So, my buddy Gary sat between me and "The Man".  As the celebrities dazzled everybody with their wonderful tales of filming the trilogy, I was too nervous to even make eye contact with Lobot.  I couldn't speak at all.  

As our dinner with the stars was winding down, I began to panic when I realized that the window of opportunity was beginning to close.  Nervously, I prodded Gary:  "Do something!  This may be the only chance in the world that I have to see Lobot in the flesh!"  Gary really didn't know what to do, but right as the window was about to shut, he noticed Mr. Hollis turned away, engaged in a conversation with the the stand-in for Mark Hamill in Star Wars.  Gary's a genius, right?  And while Lobot was looking the other way, Gary reached over to Lobot's plate, and swiped one of the remaining un-eaten Ritz crackers off of it.  He quickly hid it under his napkin, and I started laughing, quietly and nervously.  It was right on time, because just a few minutes later, the desk clerk came over and told us that we needed to wrap our Dinner with the Stars up, because they had a wedding rehearsal party coming in at nine.

So, we finished up, and everybody said our goodbyes--I still diverted my eyes from Mr. Hollis when he looked at me, though.  Gary, with the Ritz cracker carefully hidden in his napkin, and I, headed back to the Days Inn, and I could barely contain my glee.  Later that night, I sealed the cracker in a little plastic bag, and I've had it hanging up in my collection room ever since.

(And, to be honest, last night was the first night that I had ever taken it out of the bag since that Dinner with the Stars so long ago.  Over five years, actually.  I swear I could almost smell Mr. Hollis himself, when I opened the bag and the smell started wafting out.  Mmmmm. . .)

So that's the story of the Ritz cracker.  Don't ever look for that one on Ebay, my friends.  Ever.

Keep up the good work...what is your most prized item and what is your "holy grail"?

Well, my most prized item is easily the Ritz cracker described above.

As far as my holy grail goes, oh, no question--that easily would be the screen-used headset Mr. Hollis wore in The Empire Strikes Back.  While I'd give anything (except for the Ritz) for it, I know that it's only a pipe dream--as it's hidden away in the Lucasfilm archives.

I'm hoping for the next best thing, though--I've heard, through the "rumor mill", that Master Replicas may be working on a replica head-set, for release some time next year.  Sign me up.  I will be first in line if that comes true.

(In fact, I love that headset so much, that I've begun the preliminary sketches for making my own custom one.  I just shaved my head yesterday, to get the fitting down just right, and hopefully, I'll be able to start this bad boy here pretty soon.  I'll post pics of the work-in-progress, okay?)

Anyway, thanks to both Scott and Adam for the kind words, and I'm glad that I can consider you guys my fans.

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2003, 12:07 PM »
I was on a sabbatical of sorts though w/ this posting it was impossible for me to stay away...

I am in total awe... You have the most incredible character collection I have ever seen... but I can only imagine how much bigger and better it will get in the coming days, months... and years.

I have seen others try though none can compare. A total of four whole pieces... but what incredible pieces they are. LobotsDup should be an inspiration for us all... The cracker story alone almost made me cry. To think someone can have such a fettish-errr I mean love for such an incredibly vital part of the Star Wars universe.

I can honestly you have just earned your number 1 fan here. Please tell me you are going to update daily... ok well weekly... ok well.... monthly?

I think I heard an auction house in England was due to have an auction containing a some of John Hollis own hair just before he got the scalp for the Lobot role...

Long live Lobot... Long live John Hollis... Long live Virex!!!
Gotta love me or leave me alone....

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2003, 01:31 PM »

You may now consider me a "Fan" of your collection.  ;D

;)
Got Clones?

Jango Fettish

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2003, 01:38 PM »
Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

Virex

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2003, 01:44 PM »
Sweet!  Two more fans to add to the list!  Thanks, guys!

Tell you what:

Since you guys are cool enough to recognize the magnificence of Lobot's Duplex, I'm going to kind of dedicate each of the pieces in my collection to you all.  Four pieces in the collection = four of you guys.  Here goes:

Jimmy (being the self-proclaimed #1 fan) - Ritz cracker
OCB - loose vintage Lobot
BigDumbWookiee - POTF2 Lobot (the figure, opened card, and Freeze Frame)
JoshEEE - set of four Empire Strikes Back cards with Lobot on them

So, you guys can kind of consider them to be "yours", so to speak.  One day, I'll get around to updating The Duplex, and I'll add your names in to their respective items.

Thanks again everybody for your support!

Jango Fettish

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2003, 01:58 PM »
Virex, you've got a PM.

Virex

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2003, 02:07 PM »
Virex, you've got a PM.

Hey, I only have the four items in The Duplex right now, but I will write your name down, and as soon as I get something new to add, I'll dedicate that one to you.  

I'm thinking maybe there's a vintage Micro Collection Lobot figure, or maybe a more-recent Galoob MicroMachines Lobot figure, that I don't have yet, and that's what I'm looking at next.  I don't know--I've never followed the micro stuff all that much.

Anyway, consider the next item yours.

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2003, 02:09 PM »
(In fact, I love that headset so much, that I've begun the preliminary sketches for making my own custom one.  I just shaved my head yesterday, to get the fitting down just right, and hopefully, I'll be able to start this bad boy here pretty soon.  I'll post pics of the work-in-progress, okay?)

I can't wait!  I love your virtual shrine to Lobot.  It's great and I'm glad that you shared it with everyone.  BTW, do you know if it's the world's largest Lobot collection?  At any rate, if it's not, it's certainly the best.  Praise Lobot!  
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2003, 02:27 PM »
I just keep looking at it in awe man...
I dunno Virex you've really outdone yourself this time.

I know the site is a thing of beauty but maybe you could use this picture below as a guest "fan" banner someday.
I tried making it as nice as what the site deserves but it's hard...

I do hope you enjoy it Virex.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2003, 02:27 PM by Jimmy »
Gotta love me or leave me alone....

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2003, 02:31 PM »

Given the incipiency of Lobot's Dup, consider these vintage cards part of your collection Virex.  I'll send them out ASAP.  They are an integral part of any Lobot collection.  If I come across any other Lobot related items (i.e. Lobot bathrobe, Lobot boxer shorts, Lobot toothbrush, Lobot pencil, etc.), I'll be sure to let you know.
Binders full of astromechs...

Virex

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2003, 02:35 PM »
Oh my God, you guys, that stuff just totally rocks!

First of all, to Jimmy, what can I say?  I don't know if you can tell on the site, but I'm not that talented of a web designer, yet, and wouldn't know the first thing about making a little banner image like that.  I am forever in your debt.

And Force Guy--thanks, man.  I was all caught up in the craziness of the site, that I totally forgot about those old-school trading cards featuring my main man.  If you could send those out ASAP, I'd be forever in your debt as well.

Both of you will get special places of honor the next time the site's updated.  Thank you both.