Author Topic: Who do you like better: Wedge Antilles or Admiral Ackbar?  (Read 5649 times)

Offline BobaShek

• Jedi Initiate
  • OT Fanatic
    • View Profile
Who do you like better: Wedge Antilles or Admiral Ackbar?
« on: August 22, 2003, 10:59 PM »
Okay, JediPadawan and I are always having debates about who we think is the better character: Wedge or Ackbar.

I say Wedge is better for reasons that include the facts that:

-He was in the entire OT
-He destroyed(almost single-handedly) the second Death Star

So who do you like better? Feel free to supply reasons. :)

Offline Valtar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Impressive... Most Impressive.
    • View Profile
    • Valtarz Customz 'n' Artz
Re: Who do you like better: Wedge Antilles or Admiral Ackbar?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2003, 11:14 PM »
Although, I am a Fan of all the FX and all the cool looking Creatures in the Star Wars Universe.  I would have to Agree Wedge would be my choice between the 2 for me.  Now on the other hand Ackbar isn't even in the same class as Wedge, I would put him in the same class as Mon Mothma, Tarkin, etc. etc. you get the Idea.

Offline roguestormtrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2003, 11:21 PM »
I like Wedge.  

He has more screen time and a more active role in the saga than Ackbar does.  Not to mention he's a great pilot surviving both Death Star Attacks...  

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2003, 10:07 AM »
I'd say I enjoyed Wedge as a character more because he has more scenes and whatnot.  Plus Wedge is "every man" in the Star Wars universe...

He's the young newbie pilot in ANH, he's the able bodied 2nd officer come ESB, and by ROTJ he's the seasoned veteran and a leader.  You see evolution in a very secondary character.

Ackbar you see in ROTJ only...  He's got character, like he seems like the type of guy who hates war but is good at his job.  He even looks relieved, as if he knows the battle is going to go his way after the Executor is disabled and subsequently destroyed.

I had Ackbar beer battered and deep fried Thursday night though so I really have to go with Wedge as a better character at this point.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2003, 10:28 PM »
I'm going to have to go with Wedge as well. In ANH he saves Luke with some very skillful piloting, blowing up that TIE a split-second before he would've rammed it.

In ESB he (and Wes Janson, gotta give props to the gunner!) pull off the tow-cable manuever while Luke--and nearly every other Rogue--gets shot down.

And in ROTJ, he gets the kill on the Death Star, and has the skill to live to tell about it.

Meanwhile, Ackbar's ready to pull the plug as soon as he sees theDeath Star's shield is still up...and then again as soon as the Death Star starts firing. For a brilliant military commander, it sure seems like he's got no spine.

That sigh JJ refers to, I've always read as a bit of relief at knowing he's not going down in history as the biggest wimp in the Alliance--and that was only thanks to Lando's "never-say-die" attitude and the extreme hotdogging of the Rebellion's "every man."

Why EU doesn't talk about a disgraced Ackbar being given his walking papers by "Admiral Calrissian" I'll never know.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 6, 2003, 09:11 PM »
Gotta Say Wedge....

He is Tactical
He is a Hero (not saying that Ackbar is not)
and he is HUMAN.

Call me an IMP, but I like the Human Characters the best.

Offline Ginger girl

• Youngling
  • babushka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 10:09 PM »
I'd have to say Wedge.  He's brave and very cool.  Ackbar is kinda cute and interesting...but nothing to Wedge.  

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2003, 03:25 PM »
I do like both characters, but I'm a little partial to Wedge as well.  One of the unsung heroes of the OT I think, and he made it through all three movies, and battles...and always contributed in some way.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2003, 07:59 PM »
I was one of the few people who enjoyed the Rogue Squadron books.
Me = Wedge fan.

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2003, 11:43 AM »
I have to say Admiral Ackbar. First he is an Admiral who does not fly away like a coward as Wedge does when he leaves Luke to die in the DS Trench.
The reason Ackbar tells the Rebel Fleet to pull back at the second DS is that if the ships come in contact with the shield they would explode. He was thinking of the wellfair of the fleet. I know that Luke told Wedge to go that he was of no more use but if Wedge had any Honor he would of said No to Luke and sacrificed himself for the better of the Rebelion just to give LUke that extra moment for success. That is my opinon.

Plus I have never liked Wedge. Never have. Nor have I understood why he gets promoted so much. He first starts out as a nobody then become leader of Rogue Squadron. Yeah sure he was in all three movies but he is a nobody that got a free ride to the top by being a coward. Other from the movies I do not know much about Wedge. I have never read the RS books.
So from what I know of him and Ackbar I have to choose Ackbar.

Well that is my opinion.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Spirit of Dog-Dude

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2004, 06:49 PM »
Admiral Ackbar, of course.
He was a gruff-voiced fish-headed alien General.

Wedge was not. ;)
"I was destroyed by Rebelscum.
Now I wander through space and time to find where I belong."

Offline Darth Moribund

• Banned
  • Youngling
  • "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2004, 07:23 AM »
  Akbar is cool but Wedge is best to mel no doubt. For many, many reasons as listed before my reply, those are why i dig Wedge. Besides, Dennis Lawson (Wedge) is the uncle of Obi Wan (Eman McGreror)
 "The Force will be with you, always."  
Souless eyes hypnotize. Mesmerize the thoughts inside your brain. The pain. The thoughts of going insane ! I will not die in vain !

Offline Jagdohh_Fett

• Jedi Initiate
  • Never to be remembered ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 5, 2004, 05:27 AM »
Hmm... I'd have to go with Admiral Ackbar on this one. He's always been one of my favorite characters and I think he's a cool alien. Sorry Wedge...
"If I'm not back in 5 minutes ... just wait longer."

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2004, 08:40 PM »
I named my pet duck Wedge, raised him from when he was just a hatchling, made him a little house in my backyard... some terrific bastard bashed-in my fence and ducknapped him during x-mas time... and probably ate him. Wedge, my duck, I miss you. :'(
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 08:41 PM by Bob Crane »
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Mandalorian Rage

• Youngling
  • Fear the Mandalorians
    • View Profile
    • Ethos
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2004, 04:48 PM »
Wedge, of course! He rocks! You never see Ackbar piloting X-Wings, blowing up battle stations. Plus, Wedge is just that good--no force powers or added reflexes--he's just an awesome pilot. Kinda like Jango. And Wedge was in all three movies.
Utinni!