Author Topic: ...I like Starship Troopers...  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
...I like Starship Troopers...
« on: August 24, 2003, 03:09 PM »
I finally picked this movie up on DVD since it was only about $10 at Wal-Mart... I must say I actually enjoyed the movie quite a bit... and I was eager to see more when it ended... Now I know there's the animated DVD's out on ebay for $30 bucks a pop, but there's no way I'm paying that much.

Anywho, I was wondering who else actually enjoyed this movie, considering I had heard a lot of bad reviews for it.  

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: ...I like Starship Troopers...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2003, 03:19 PM »
It's no Oscar winner, but it was decent.  Especially as a DVD bargain bin buy.  I own it.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2003, 03:55 PM »
I've always liked this movie.  I can't remember if I own it or not, but I've seen it several times it gets better everytime I see it.
dustrho

Offline carebear

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2003, 04:02 PM »
I think we have it on VHS!!!!  Maybe you sold it on Ebay!?  I liked this movie too :-*
Carrie Rhoads
DUSTRHO is my hubby!!!

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2003, 04:48 PM »
I like that movie!There are some bugs here that remind me of those.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2003, 11:49 AM »
Although the acting was not the greatest, the movie was very entertaining.  They are filming a sequel to this which I am sure will be horrible and straight to video worthy.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2003, 12:08 PM »
It was interesting that they had a bunch of white kids play the characters (who were all supposedly from Buenos Aires in the book) but I still thought it was a great Sci Fi flick. Lots of great one liners from that movie.

Every time I play Star Craft on the PC, I can't help but think of it......

Got Clones?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2003, 02:57 PM »
Count me in as a fan of ST too!  Just a fun popcorn Sci-Fi flick to watch, not to mention my Dina Meyer affliction...  MMMmmm!!!   8)  Besides, where else are you going to find Doogie Howser jacking up big nasty mean bugs?!  Good stuff!  I bought it at Walmart for the $9.44 price too, but noticed it was recently added into the better quality "SuperBit" DVD collection, so I'm currently contemplating the ol' swaperoo...   :-\

Virex

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2003, 03:13 PM »
noticed it was recently added into the better quality "SuperBit" DVD collection, so I'm currently contemplating the ol' swaperoo...   :-\

Matt, here's a review thread from the HTF--seems like the new disc has impressed quite a few people there. . .

Starship Troopers Superbit - New reference disc

But besides that, what's everyone's take on the subtle Nazi allusions that Verhoeven sprinkled throughout the film?

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2003, 03:22 PM »
But besides that, what's everyone's take on the subtle Nazi allusions that Verhoeven sprinkled throughout the film?
The biggest thing I noticed was the uniforms in the movie, which I think looked awesome (Rough Necks are the coolest)... The officers with their trench coats was the most obvious reminder to me of the Nazi's, specially with the bar ranking they've got... Star Wars did alot of it to.