Author Topic: For those considering KEBco Toys:  (Read 4551 times)

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
For those considering KEBco Toys:
« on: August 24, 2003, 10:04 PM »
Well, after tonight, I have decided that I will never do business with KEBco.

I just wanted to make everyone aware of some customer service issues they've had, which have been pointed out in a few threads in the Rebelscum Forums. Worth at least looking at:

The Ugly Side of KEBco

http://forums.rebelscum.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=007187

http://forums.rebelscum.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=007169
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: For those considering KEBco Toys:
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2003, 11:11 PM »
What exactly happened to make you come to this decision?
dustrho

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 03:40 AM »
Looks like Philip deleted all of the Kebco threads over at RS, since it's one of their main sponsors...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 11:39 AM »
Yeah, I saw those were deleted as well...I was curious, what problems has everyone had?  I currently have some preorders through them (since March), and are their problems serious enough that I should cancel those orders and try to find those figures (and unleashed) elsewhere?  Just curious what everyone's experiences were.  I have had good dealing with them in the past, but that has been almost a year ago now, and nothing dealing with preorders.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 12:15 PM »
Looks like Philip deleted all of the Kebco threads over at RS, since it's one of their main sponsors...
Hey they are one of our sponsors too...I'd like to know some details as well.  If you have a chance Adam please clue us in so we can deal with this appropriately. ;)

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2003, 12:15 PM »
I was surprised to see that those threads had been deleted, as they were a mix of both testimonies AND trashing of the Kebco service, and you'd think that would be informative for collectors and members of that site.

I personally have no problems with Kebco (and I posted that in one of threads) but my comment, along with all the others has been deleted, and now people will be left to wonder what is so wrong with Kebco that any thread regarding them has been deleted to protect the advertisers.

STRANGE policy.
Got Clones?

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2003, 01:30 PM »
I've been a member since March and have nothing but good things to say about them.  They've catered to my needs and are willing to hold items until I "amass" more so that I can save on shipping.  Scott has always answered my emails in a timely and polite manner.  I'm a patient man and am willing to wait for items, so any delays between them and Hasbro doesn't bother me.  And the benefit of not looking for figs and having them delivered right to my door is awesome.  I'll recommend them to anyone.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline DrunkJedi

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2003, 01:32 PM »
I followed those 3 threads up till roughly 11:15-11:30PM EST last night. I have to agree with the Wookie. The professionalism, or lack thereof, by the Kebco representative (their Business Manager) had turned a few potential customers away.

The Kebco rep had taken a comment that someone had made that was obvious sarcasm (about how if their preorder was cancelled Kebco would go under) and tried to make it sound like it was a blatant lie. They also called someone else out for a comment posted claiming it was a lie (I believe the poster in question posted the e-mail Kebco sent that contained the supposed "lie"). It was amazing how the so-called business manager accused alot of people of twisting his words around, yet was guilty of doing the same thing.

I'm not sure what was funnier, the Kebco bashing or the Kebco rep with his gung-ho battle ready abrasiveness.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2003, 01:43 PM »
Man, I'm sorry I missed that part of the thread.

Got Clones?

Offline DrunkJedi

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2003, 01:55 PM »
The rep also posted a couple times "people not wanting to visit the website because they told two people to not visit Kebco". I don't think he could grasp that it was his attitude and responces that turned people off. I just wish I woulda been able to stay awake long enough to follow those 3 threads through till their ends. I could see the threads being locked, but it is kind of sad to see them deleted. Like JoshEEE said:
I was surprised to see that those threads had been deleted, as they were a mix of both testimonies AND trashing of the Kebco service, and you'd think that would be informative for collectors and members of that site.
There probably would have been less Kebco trashing if their business manager had responded to the situation better.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2003, 06:51 PM »
Well, even though I'm a big fan of kebco, I'd still like to read threads by my fellow collectors who have experiences with them. It's part of the boards. Hell, when I saw the thread, I chimed in with my positive remarks, but now that it's gone....all people know is "Bad things were said, and it was deleted, not just closed".

That's worse for the company than leaving the thread up in my opinion, because all we have to go on is people paraphrasing what was said instead of actually reading it for ourselves.

And WHY was it closed in the first place?  Because an advertiser got pissed?  People trash Hasbro all the time....nobody closes that thread down, but trash Kebco toys and your thread gets deleted??

Putting the advertisers above the community is a scary practice. I'd like to know what the justification was.  Was there profanity or something?
Got Clones?

Offline DrunkJedi

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2003, 09:59 PM »
Don't know. I'm suprised we don't have conspiracy theories floating around about it now. I agree with you on putting advertisers above the community. Does this mean we can't speak out against anyone we've had bad deals with at RS that seem to be important (the sponsors)? And your right, now its "Bad things said and now its deleted" and that makes it sound like Kebco is trying to cover something up (also I find it amazing RS is down due to "technical difficulties" after).

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2003, 12:15 AM »

Must be why the forums were down earlier today...
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2003, 09:45 PM »
Sorry, I typed the initial thread in a hurry, I was on the way out....

DrunkJedi pretty well covered everything. Basically one of the reps from KEBco was quite unproffessional and rude, not only in addressing some issues people had, but also through his means of addressing them (emailing them at personal (as in, not the one given to KEBco) email accounts, calling the liars, etc).

I didnt personally get jerked around, but just the principle of the whole situation was enough to turn me away from them.

Im equally surprised to see the threads were deleted, I suspect they were deleted for the fact that RS tries to keep sponsors out of personal interaction in the forums. One member commented it on being akin to KEBco getting free market research, which I understand and kind of agree with.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2003, 11:32 PM »
The initial complaints were for KEBco charging customers' cc for the balance even though the orders wouldn't ship for several weeks. Some were annoyed that it took 2-3 weeks to get an email response.

One writer relayed the crappy correspondence he had with "Scott"; a "he said, she said" about when his order would ship.

Ken, the owner, posted. He apologized for the problems and explained that because they were understaffed, for the sake of efficiency they would charge customers en masse before sorting the merchandise and processing the orders, which could take a few weeks. He also said they were reviewing their software, which automatically posted inventory availability and such on their website. Basically, typical speak to try to calm the natives.

Then Scott, the business manager, posted. Woo hoo.

So-and-so is a liar. I never said this. I never said that. He's a liar.

Another "he said, she said" ensued.

The poster accused of lying reprinted an email he received from Scott that day telling him to never visit the KEBco site again.

Scott started another thread for comments and suggestions because he wanted to leave behind the trashing KEBco was receiving in the other thread.

One of the ditties he wrote was his own complaint of how dissatisfied customers didn't bother emailing or calling him directly instead of taking it public.

Several who watched from the sidelines as this little drama develop posted on the threads essentially telling Scott that he wasn't acting in a professional manner and his onscreen behavior would scare away customers.

Philip explains why the threads were closed. KEBco Toys Topics
« Last Edit: August 26, 2003, 11:37 PM by Jedi Idej »