Author Topic: TTT DVDs (and other ripoffs)  (Read 4009 times)

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
TTT DVDs (and other ripoffs)
« on: August 25, 2003, 12:29 PM »
So, last night....my girlfriend's brother was talking about how he's going to rush out and buy TTT on DVD this week. I pointed out that the "super- hyper, extended, platinum, special, deluxe, ultra, director's cut, mega-edition is no doubt coming out in a few months, and why not just wait for that?

We got into a big discussion about all the stupid DVDs like this there have been. Dozens upon dozens.

WHY?
And more importantly.....WHY buy them?  

I say leave those early releases on the shelf and show the producers of this crap that we don't want their inferior product if they have a better one planned for the near future. Why not just give us the ultimate edition first?

I know the answer to that ($$$) but it still bugs me, and I'm not buying anymore DVDs if I hear so much as a whisper that a super-deluxe version is just months away.

Got Clones?

Jango Fettish

Re: TTT DVDs (and other ripoffs)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 12:49 PM »
Well, I wanna see the movie NOW, and own it NOW, not 3 months from now.

The extras may be nice, but I really don't care for a bunch of drawings and adaptations and what not. You have to keep the "average" movie goer in mind, who just wants the movie itself along with a few gratutious, interesting extras.

If this doesn't make me a "true movie fan", then so be it. I'd rather save $25, have the movie itself right now, and wait to borrow the extended version when a friend buys it than wait 3 months to get a version that won't even fit in my DVD rack.

Stupid reasoning, maybe. Being thrifty, you betcha.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2003, 12:50 PM by Cory H »

obi_robz

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 01:04 PM »
Personally I really like the hacked to pieces, not-much-like-the-book, WTF’s-up-with-Faramir version. It’s long enough as it is as far as violence fests go, imo. I like to have the two versions to compare, and sometimes the action-adventure theatrical cut is all I’m up for. So if I hadn’t “had access” to the screener since January, I probably wouldn’t have been able to wait for the Extended Edition.

At least the release schedule is out in the open for people to make their minds up about which version to buy. As for other DVDs, well I would always wait for the ultimate edition. For me, LOTR is a special case since it’s the best film series ever.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 01:08 PM »
Stupid reasoning, maybe. Being thrifty, you betcha.

Actually, I don't think your wanting to buy the "nerfed" version is stupid reasoning, but if you REALLY wanted to be thrifty, you could wait for the deluxe version THEN buy the vanilla release for a considerable savings.

Of course, I'm not buying EITHER (I'll just borrow the versions of the aforementioned person who is buying both)....but if they ever do this with Star Wars, I'll be in a pickle.

Got Clones?

Jango Fettish

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 01:14 PM »
The thing is, that basic version will be the cheapest the week of it's release. To be honest, I was going to get the 4 Disc set from Amazon and the one tomorrow. It's only $24.99 w/ free shipping at Amazon, but budget won't allow it right now.

Of course, I can always get the 2 disc now, sell it in November, get the 4 disc. Lose a little money, but get a superior product in return, and still get to see the movie tomorrow.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2003, 01:19 PM »
Or you could have bought the DVD screener from "Alternative" stores and have been enjoying the movie for 5 or 6 months now and wait until the final version comes out in November like me ;)

Jango Fettish

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2003, 01:22 PM »
I've had it for a few months as well. Transfer was crappy in spots, but it did the job. It's my OCD talking when I want the "real thing", which has had a space empty for the past 2 weeks.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2003, 01:42 PM »
I've had it for a few months as well. Transfer was crappy in spots, but it did the job. It's my OCD talking when I want the "real thing", which has had a space empty for the past 2 weeks.

I'm the same way. That crappy pirated stuff just doesn't look right next to my "official" collection. Star Wars 1 and 2 were both available, but I waited for the Lucasfilm releases. I think they were worth the wait.
Got Clones?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2003, 01:54 PM »
The screener I have is as good as any DVD I own quality wise, it just has a the words "For Your Consideration" every now and then.  It also isn't the final edit either.  It was well worth the $10

obi_robz

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2003, 02:02 PM »
The screener I have is as good as any DVD I own quality wise,

Same with mine too, which is amazing since I’m obviously comparing it to European PAL discs, players, and TVs that have a few extra lines of resolution over NTSC set-ups.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2003, 02:32 PM »
I totally agree with you Josh.  In fact, we had another thread about this somewhere several months ago where we were ranting about this same subject.  I'll see if I can dig it up and throw the link in here for some added reference.  But yeah - these "standard" DVD releases, only to be followed later on by "deluxe/special edition" releases, bug the hell out of me.  I only want to own the BEST, most "extra" (and deleted scene) packed DVD version of any movie.  Unfortunately, like with some of our SW figure issues, we're offered an inferior product first, 'cause they know we'll buy it, only to turn around and buy it again when a better version comes out later on down the road.

Well, I'll still bite on the SW stuff due to my completist mentality, but with the DVDs I've got much better will power and can hold out for the deluxe version later on.  I'm anxiously anticipating the extended version of TTT, but can easily hold out another 3 months to get it instead of impatiently scooping up this first version in the meantime.

I'd suggest if people want to get the deluxe version later on (which everyone will for the extra footage), but they still want to see it on DVD when it's released this week, to just go RENT IT at Blockbuster!  That should give you your TTT fix for the time being.  Granted I think there's a few extras on this initial TTT release that won't be on the Deluxe version later on, like was the case with FOTR.  But I don't recall them being anything that I'd terribly miss...

This is also an issue now that they've got that suped up "SuperBit" collection.  Lots of movies are being issued in the standard format, only to get the SuperBit treatment a year later (like The Patriot, Charlies Angels, Starship Troopers, etc.)  Annoying...  Anyone here into the SuperBit format?  Do you think the added picture quality is worth it?

But as a whole, this DVD release pattern irritates me to no end.  I've got a list of DVDs that I've bought that now have a better deluxe version on the market that I'd rather get.  Problem is, I don't know what to do with my originals...  You guys know of any boards or anything where people buy/trade used DVDs?

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2003, 02:37 PM »
All I know of is half.com and Ebay, where you always take a bath on what you originally paid for the DVD.

EVERYONE floods the market with the un-deluxe lame versions once the newer ones come out.

Got Clones?

Virex

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2003, 03:25 PM »
In most cases, I've been glad that the studios will go back and "re-visit" films on DVD.  If they didn't, we'd still be stuck with crappy laserdisc ports of many of them--non-anamorphic transfers, "flipper" discs, little (or no) extra features, etc.  A lot of the DVDs which came out in the first two or three years of the format absolutely sucked, quality-wise, compared to today's standards.  I've upgraded--I don't know--at least fifteen or twenty discs, and I don't regret a single one.

My feeling is--if it's a movie I'm really in love with, I'll get it as soon as it's out.  If/when they come out with an upgraded version, I can easily get rid of my first copy, either by selling it at the places Josh mentioned, or maybe by giving it to a friend or family member or something.  

If it's something I'm kind of so-so on, or haven't seen, I'll wait.  No big deal.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2003, 03:31 PM »
Well I'm buying LOTRTTT as soon as I find it - I don't want 5 hours of whatever... I want what I saw in the theatre...

I would say over half of my collection is a rip off... I wouldn't value most of my movies to be worth anything over $15 tops....

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2003, 04:25 PM »
Wow. Is this the same group of cinema purists that signed a petition DEMANDING that George Lucas release the Original Trilogy on DVD as it was first seen in theatres?

I can understand being upset when the same movie is released with a plethora of cool extras down the road. But we're talking about two different viewing experiences here.

If you want to own The Two Towers as it appeared in theatres, buy it tomorrow. If you want to see a version with extra scenes cut in, wait a couple months. It's not a huge secret.

What really sucks is that some want the cool extras but DON'T want a version of the film longer than what they've already seen. What are they supposed to do if they don't like a boring, extended version? Choice would be nice.
Post sober.