Author Topic: Valor vs Venom  (Read 197469 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2004, 04:52 AM »
I think I know which site you're talking about....I think the link can be found in the fourms at RS, GPXD, or at GH. Not sure though....
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2004, 08:45 PM »
I believe the 2 companies I've been thinking of are one in the same and there's really only a single company making Joe parts casts.  

At least that's someone though. :)  Good stuff too.  They did have a Wild Weasel helmet hollowed out, I just missed it.  Cast in a lovely resin too BTW.

Have to do some ordering from them sometime when I get some scratch...
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: July 2, 2004, 11:41 PM »
HOLY Schnikeys....

Check it out.

http://www.joesightings.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=21&t=000013#000004

Got this in the Joe thread over at GalacticHunter, thanks to Apokolips over there...

Look at all the nods to vintage ARAH...  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: July 2, 2004, 11:58 PM »
Yeah was looking at those today.  Amazing stuff, I have been tempted many times to get back into Vintage Joes.  The new line is alright but I don't like the whacked out paint jobs and lack of O-Rings :-\

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: July 3, 2004, 01:12 AM »
Most have O-Rings though...  I think the only one I've seen lately that doesn't was the Stormshadow with action feature, but he's being redone O-Ring style and put on a motorcycle in that one shot.

Lot of new figures appear to be reappearing this year in new, accurate paintjobs too.  I see Scarlet in a tiger-stripe camo like a Spec. Forces soldier would wear...  The new Sniper, who was good in the first place, is also getting a redo.  I see a couple redecos in urban/night camo...

The Wild Weasel I'm slightly disappointed in, as I've wanted a new, cool WW, but the figure looks "skinny".  He'd be cool if he had legs like his original figure though...  The bulky red flightsuit rocked, with the maps and crap.

When I was little, there was a contest on in the afternoon when Joe & Transformers aired on Fox around 3 or so.

The contest was that they flashed a secret word (something simple/to do with the toons) and when yous aw the word you had to call in and if you did you won the Joe or Transfrmers lineup for the year.

I won that contest here...  It was great.  The secret word was Optimus Prime...  I immediately took the Joe package, of course, and got a Ratler, SHARC, tons of figures (some I already had, but I didn't care since I was already customizing by part swapping).  It was simply great...  

One of the best days of my life I remember.  :)  The Rattler rocked too.  I had so much fun having it fly around my yard dogfighting a B-Wing I got on clearance at Gold Circle (which is long gone from my area now, but was a cool ass store).

Cool stuff...  *sigh*

I'm gonna be hooked on picking some of this up...  It's inevitable.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2004, 02:05 PM »
I'm a little late to reply here I guess, but just saw some of the convention pictures today.  Those comic book packs look pretty cool to me, and 3 figures (and a comic) for $10?  Not too bad.  I've stayed away from Joe for the most part (a couple of Snake Eyes), but was quite into it when I was a kid.  These comic packs kind of bring back those memories some...gonna be awfully tempting.  Has anyone picked any of them up yet?  I understand the first few are released, but forgive me if I'm wrong, I'm not entirely up on the Joe world anymore.

Nostalgia really kicks in with Joe as well.  I've run across the old cartoon a couple of times on Boomerang (on Sundays I think), and I've often thought about picking up the DVD Season sets (anyone have them?).  Next to Star Wars and comics, Joe was the big toy line for me when I was a kid.  In fact, I think (like many kids), they invaded each other worlds quite a bit back then :P.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2004, 03:38 PM »
Next to Star Wars and comics, Joe was the big toy line for me when I was a kid.  In fact, I think (like many kids), they invaded each other worlds quite a bit back then :P.

indeed. but luckily for me, i got out of joes back in the day and just didn't get back into them. transformers, on the other hand...  ::)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2004, 06:36 PM »
I'm liking the idea of the Comic packs and the Crimson Sabotage set.

Too bad I can't afford Joe stuff in addition to what I collect now. :(
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2004, 03:39 PM »
Has anyone here picked up the comic book sets?  I haven't seen them in stores (not sure where they are even showing up, I thought I had heard Target?).  I haven't ever really got into the modern Joes (with the exception of a couple of Snake Eyes figures), but I thought I heard these comic packs are more like the RAH line from the good ole days.  Maybe I mis-read though.  I suppose if I was going to collect Joes, I'd just as well go back to the vintage ones (82-86 especially).  Those were the best  :P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2004, 07:15 PM »
Saw the Snake Eyes, Scarlet, and Eskimo set, as well as the Cobra Command set at K-mart here Mosnab.

Very cool really...  Re-used bodies it seemed, liek the Eskimo has Big Ben's body I think, but a new head and collar/necklace stuff I think.

Scarlet's body may be Jinx, not sure there.  Snake Eyes is a repaint.

The Cobras have new heads too, except perhaps the soldier.  They're cool too but the Barroness' head is weird because her glasses are separate like her hair (part of her hair sculpt actually) and they're really odd.

They magnify her eyes like coke-bottle glasses.  Looks like the pair my Uncle Carl wore.  :)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2004, 06:19 PM »
I'd kill a puppy to have GI Joes like these.

http://toynewsi.com/index.php?itemid=4248

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2004, 07:25 PM »
Hmmm, I partly like the idea...  Espeiclaly after seeing Storm Shadow, Snake Eyes, and Firefly, but part of me longs for Hasbro to simply improve the 3.75" line to the point where there's realistic sculpt proportions, increased articulation (wrists, boot tops, and maybe a mid-thigh swivel would be a huge start), and increase the use of features like working holsters and sheaths on the characters.

I'd like the line to stay 3.75" I guess since that's become it's hot scale I think.  12" is so-so...  Especially with their competition.

If the Marvel Legends style ones were less "outrageous" in their sculpt though, and more realistic, I'd maybe change my mind on those then actually.  Seeing as how vehicles are not Joe's focus anymore, maybe it'd be a good idea?

Since you brought this up, I figured I'd make mention on something I read at GH.com forums the other day.

J&R Productions, which is a company that's been casting and reproducing heads, gear, and such for G.I. Joe in 3.75" scale have been SHUT DOWN by Hasbro legal teams.

The owner's trying to work something out currently with Hasbro.

It's a shame because the owner is just trying to give those who enjoy a certain aspect of the hobby (customizers) an outlet that they don't get from Hasbro...  MisterPL makes strong arguments for why it's right of Hasbro to enforce their trademarks, and nobody can argue it's their property to do with as they see fit, but I think in the end it will only serve to hurt them (however minor) as a profitable business, and in the eyes of the consumers who support their product wholeheartedly.

In this day and age of fighting for every sale in the aisles and on the net, I think Hasbro should weigh carefully their decision to let J&R productions continue.  They may just be "cutting off their trademarked nose to spite their face", as it were.

In the end I think they'll deem the situation not worth bothering with to any great extent, and they'll simply tell J&R "no" to everything and one more source to help customizers will go the way of the do-do, unless he does things on the QT.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2004, 08:37 PM »
Just picked up the GI Joe DVD's, Season 1 Parts 1 & 2! Should be fun to watch the old toons and realize that when we were kids we pretended we didnt see how crappy the storylines/animations/etc really were.  :P

I do miss the old cartoons, and I miss the old toy style, as well. To me, the new figures pure suck. I think they look crappy - but that's just me.

I haven't seen a standard Cobra Trooper figure since about '86 or so.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2004, 10:16 PM »
I saw some of those comic 3-packs, and I was tempted to pick up the Cobra one, but the Baroness figure made me put it down. What a piece of crap that is. Plus Cobra Commander looked cross-eyed.

I'm sure once the packs with Stalker, Clutch, and the rest come out, I'll go back and track this one down. I don't know about buying the pack with Kwinn, though. I'm not that hardcore of a Joe fan.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2004, 12:02 AM »
Gotta admit that Snake Eyes in SNow gear's kinda cool though in that pack with the Eskimo!  :)  The Timber blows though.  Where's the mold for the original, ya know?  Using Order as the mold for Timber is terrible looking.

I haven't seen a standard Cobra Trooper figure since about '86 or so.

You sir missed the Cobra Forces 6-pack.

2 Non-Coms and 4 enlisted grunts, all with unique hair (eyebrow) colors and one is a black dude.  Very cool.  ALl using the oold molds though the heads look different I think. 

Anyway, a cool set.  Something Star Wars desperately needs at the same price with Stormtroopers and other figures as "ultimate" versions of them arise.