Author Topic: Valor vs Venom  (Read 197472 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Valor vs Venom
« on: August 25, 2003, 01:23 PM »
Although I don't currently collect this line, I do look what they have out from time to time (since it was one of my favorites lines as a kid other than SW and MOTU)...and I did pick up the black Snake-Eyes/Cobra Commander 2 pack last year.  I know there are some collectors on this board who are interested in Joes, past or present, so I thought we could start a thread here to discuss them if anyone wanted to.  Plus, I just watched the "music video" for the new G.I. Joe - Spy Troops movie that is coming to Cartoon Network, and I'd have to say it looks kind of cool...keeping some of the general looks of the old characters, similar to MOTU, but with a few more changes I guess.  Anyways, here's the link, if anyone would like to see it:

Spy Troops Movie
« Last Edit: March 6, 2010, 03:02 PM by Scott »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 01:47 PM »
I don't collect the new stuff, but I do have a ****load of the vintage stuff in my Grandmom's attic.  Once I get a house, I'm thinking about pulling it all down, cleaning it up and displaying it.  Granted a few pieces and weapons are probably going to missing and / or broken, but I'm sure I can track them down easily enough.  GIJoe was actually my favorite toy line growing up, even more so than Star Wars.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 04:03 PM »
Same here for me as Mikey.

I loved Joe more than Star Wars...  I used to take my allownce, buy a JOe, then use the rest to buy clearance Star Wars figures for their stuff.  Han Endor's jacket and gun immediately went to my favorite Joe...  Same with Indiana Jones figures and weapons.  

Cobra Commander locked Kick-@$$ with one of the hooded cobras from the Well of Souls Playset.  The Monkey rocked as an accessory for my favorite Joe too.  

My favorite Joe at first was Airborne, weird choice I know, but eventually it was a mix of the Tan tank's driver (I cannot believe I've forgotten that tank's name), his body specifically, with a head from a guy I felt looked like me...  :)  It was a "Me" as G.I. Joe even before they had the idea for a mail-away for a "You as Joe" promotional figure.

And of course, my favorite Joe rode motorcycles...  Fisherprice ones I believe, from their dirtbike/motocross set.

G.I. Joe was the best though, and looking back I'd have to say my favorite piece were the two hang-gliders.  There was a Joe and Cobra one, they were foam.  Those things flew really high and would stay in the air for very long periods of time.  An open field and they would just go forever.

I had the Cobra, and my brother Cole had the Joe, and we both lost them to our dog Pepper who chewed them up.  They were a blast for the 2 weeks we had them though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2003, 12:05 AM »
Man, I loved GI Joe. I liked that they were cheaper than MOTU and Transformers, so I could afford them with my measly allowance. My personal favorite figures are the first versions of Wet Suit and Serpentor, both from 1986. That's the year I got heavy into Joe.

I bought the RAHC and the first five waves of the new line, but repaints and terrible shoulder joints on the new figs made me decide to discontinue collecting it. Although I still pick up the ones I find cool, like the Sand Viper and the upcoming Lady Jaye and Pimp Destro.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2003, 12:42 AM »
G.I. Joe makes Hasbro buttloads of $, it's amazing...

The new figures are kinda bogus compared to old, but the concepts of some of the kick so much @$$ it's depressing when one comes out and you're disappointed.

Did any of you guys see that Snyper figure?  Dood has a cloth camo thing made from a football jersey fabric.  It's simply genius, and this guy easily would've been one of my favs, not to mention he has a removeable belt, removeable boonie hat, and removeable web gear!?!?  WTF?  Where's all this with a Star Wras figure???  :)

The rifle he has rocks too.  This long-range sniper rifle, it's really neat.

If he had better shoulder joints, and the hands were sculpted more like the original ARAH figures were, he'd be one hell of a great toy.  

I pick a Joe pack up now and then for custom pieces for Star Wars.  I nabbed the Cobra surgeon and thought the concept alone was amazing.  I'd have dug a mad doctor for Cobra. :)

To be a Joe collector today would be fun, but the product just isn't what it was when I was younger.  I miss the very original figures...  I remember the first I got at the (Back then) brand new K-Mart up here, as well as the later new figures I found at the 5 and 10 in the next town up.  This was before a trip to the mall was simple, and you got there maybe twice a year...  

The feeling I had when I first found Flint at the Local Gold Circle, or the feeling I had when I found ALL of the first Gung-Ho/Airborne wave at the 5 and 10 have yet to be compaired to.  And seeing the original straight arms for the first time was like love at first sight.  I was hooked, and owned almost everything ever put out then for them...  Except the Sears exclusive Cobra items, and the Flagg which wouldn't fit in our rooms.  We had all the rest (My brothers and I) and loved them.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2003, 06:55 AM »
You know, GIJoe was the first toy line that I had trouble tracking down a figure - much like Star Wars today.  I never found Snake Eyes and Timber and it scarred me for life.  My friends had one and I didn't.  And I was jealous.  Now that I have money, I might track one down on ebay.  Maybe someday, SE will be mine.  
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 01:29 PM »
I had almost every Joes from 82-86, They were by far my biggest interest after SW. The Joes just offered the coolest things and they play factor was better for me. I still try to track down some items for my collection but mainly just have all my childhood items. Strange most of my original SW items are no where to be found but all teh Joes were loyal and stayed home  ;)

Plus the cartoons for Joe were the best ones on at that time. they still blow away alot of todays stuff.

And Jesse I to remember the days of having my parents take me to the store only a few times a year.  I always thought I knew what I wanted till we saw all the differnt stuff then it was an agonizing decision to make as to which one got to come home.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 5, 2003, 07:20 PM »
I don't know if any of you have seen this, but Wal-Mart has loads of Value Packs with waves 5, 6, and 7 in them. I ended up getting all of waves 6 and 7, except that funny Gun Station with Big Brawler. I recommend buying the Wide Scope/ BAT 3.2 pack. The SWAT dude is awesome. There's also Value packs of some vehicles with wave 2 of the Mision Discs, and the MDs can be bought on their own for $4.

I also found wave 8 at Target. I ddin't find Zarana, but I did get Cobra Commander, who's all sorts of cool now that he's got the faceplated helmet again. Heavy Water, the new Cobra waterman, makes me wish Hasbro came up with an Eels redux.

I think I've spent about $45 on Joe stuff this week alone. :o But it's fun.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 5, 2003, 10:06 PM »
Gawd, talk about hitting me in the head.  I started reading this thread, saw vintage GI Joe and thought hey, I can relate.  Then I saw Cobra and realized oops, not quite as vintage as I might have been thinking.  I believe I got my first Joe around 1969 :o  

Sorry, had to share as it made me laugh.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 5, 2003, 10:37 PM »
Wow, just wow...

http://www.hasbro.com/gijoe/spytroops/pl/page.giveaway/dn/default.cfm

Two Siegies for 24 Battle Points and three bones? Sold American.

I noticed these have metal rivets in the arms, which translates into "superior product". :) ;)

RAH- No comparison, no compromise.

Morgbug- guess we should refer to it and RAH instead of vintage, huh? I didn't know there was a 12" line until Hasbro started doing them again in 1991. Of course, I was only ten years old then. :)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2003, 10:08 AM »
http://toynewsi.com/index.php?itemid=2001

I wish I could afford it. Hell, I wish I had room for it. Someday, maybe. But I'm not sure that box is going to fit in my Hyundai.
At least it's great to see Hasbro taking a chance with hugh-jass playsets, and giving us all hope that someday the Flagg and Terrordrome will be rereleased.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2003, 09:46 PM »
Found the MCC at TRU yesterday. I hope these last through the holidays, because I'll have money for it then.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2003, 10:00 PM »
I'll tell ya, I buy a lot of these just for customs...  not expensive, but a little pricey, but WORTH it.

G.I. Joe figures just amaze me sometimes though.  The new Destro with his removable belt/holsters, and a great outfit...  I can't get over REcondo having 16 points of articulation either.

I don't like the sculpts, and that's the ONLY thing that keeps me from collecting this line all out...  If they made realistic looking characters (Sculpted them to have true-to-life proportions and such) I'd probably be die-hard for the modern Joe RAH line.

It's just impressive stuff out there otherwise though.  TONS of gear, tons of quality everywhere BUT the sculpt, and they're even increasing articulation on them.  Make Recondo's a standard and improve those sculpts and I'd be sold I do believe.

And I still nab one here and there just because I have to have it...  newest Cobra Commander for instance.  GREAT looking figure. :)  

Offline Lemon-Viper

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is.
    • View Profile
    • Son of Bob.homestead.com
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2003, 10:56 AM »
I've been collecting Joes for a long time and will not buy anything newer than 1989.  I think it's mostly gone down hill from there.  Of course there are exceptions to that 1989 rule, but not many.  

If  you are interested in starting a Joe collection or maybe picking up a few from your childhood(teenagehood for some of you  ;D), I have a large amount of figs(both complete and incomplete) for trade in the trade section.  I have many Vintage Star Wars needs...and a few others too.
Stressed out?  Poop.  It'll make you feel better.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2004, 02:48 AM »
Do any of you guys collect, and more importantly do customizing, with Joes?

I was looking for sites that do casts of G.I. Joe parts for customizers.  I saw one from J&R or J&P Customs or something like that...  I have that one bookmarked.  But, there's another site out there that I KNOW exists that I can't find anything out about.

They have a lot more headcasts including sets for Cobra Troopers with removable helmets and stuff.  I recall seeing Wild Weasel's helmet too.  I was wanting to just make a couple customs for myself and my brother and needed this other site's items.

I definately have the one site, just not the other.

Any help guys?