Author Topic: Valor vs Venom  (Read 197465 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2004, 03:52 AM »
KB Toys now has the OCS set in stock.

Good luck. You're gonna need it.

The last time this thing was online, lots of orders got cancelled.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2004, 04:45 AM »
As with many other Hasbro decisions, I'll always scratch my head as to why this and the Cobra 6-pack ever STOPPED shipping.

Those things should just be pumped out till people run out of money...  I'm not a Joe collector but that line just kills left and right a lot of the time.  It's impressive.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2004, 11:02 AM »
And now they are SOLD OUT again.

I got mine at the store, I even got a couple extras to share with fellow collectors.

I have to agree with Jesse (how many times have I posted that in various forums?) these things should be in stores till we are tripping over them at home.  I'd still buy Cobra 6 packs if they were available and I already have 4.

Some of the stuff rumored for next year looks good...

Comic 3 packs look good to me, but the Destro in the group is my least favorite sculpt.

The Crimson Guard with Crimson Twin 6 packs sound good. as does the Green Shirt 6 pack.

The new sculpt stuff is beyond off my radar.  The fact that their arms go to their knees and their waists go as high as their armpits...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2004, 10:03 AM »
I haven't bought a Joe figure in quite some time, but always thought the newer "comic packs" looked kind of neato.  Seeing these images over at SmallJoes.com, I might be somewhat tempted by these.  These just remind me of the good ole days as a kid, some of my favorite figures.

More at the linky, including Serpentor, Duke, Destro, Firefly, Roadblock, etc.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2004, 02:39 PM »
More Joe stuff...just happened to look at the pics posted via the ToyNewsI.com front page, with images of "Valor vs. Venom" Wave 7.  I need to stay away from the Joes, but I know I'll definitely be picking up this figure (pack) if/when I see it.  This really reminds me of my favorite 1985 Snake-Eyes figure...still have that figure to this day, but he shows his mileage :).

Can't wait for that figure.  Some other nice ones HERE.  Some remind me of the good ole days of Joe (like the comic packs too).  After Star Wars, it was all about Joes with me (cartoon and toys)...well, that and a little bit of He-Man.  Anyways, looks like some nice stuff coming up for Joe collectors....if there are any in here.  I know I'll be looking for that Snake Eyes (along with everyone else probably) :).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2004, 11:03 PM »
Indeed...  If I had the $ I'd be more into G.I. Joe for sure.  I'd have been all over army builder cobra sets, these comic packs and definitely be customizing what I could.

Joe's a great line, and as far as I'm concerned it will ALWAYS own Star Wars as a toy brand.  It's still one of Hasbro's most overall popular lines to this day.  That speaks volumes about how they are able to adapt it.

I wish the VvV and other modern lines catered more to making figures ala the old days, but unfortunately they're way buffed out many times.  Whatever works for them I guess.

Still there's some incredibly well done toys in this line.

The Crimson strike set's in-freakin'-credible, as was the Cobra 6-pack, the ninja set, and other upcoming items.

I wonder how articulated that Snake Eyes will be ultimately?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2004, 02:17 AM »
GI Joe is actually getting better.

With the money I save from not finding ML, I can get into this line. Yay!

Those upcoming comic packs are all too good to pass up. Can't wait for the Serpentor one. Looks like he has a removable helmet.

I'd like to see them get to my next favorite Joes, Wet Suit and Beach Head. I think a new Flint and Hit and Run are good candidates too, not to mention Lady Jaye and Tomax and Xamot.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2004, 05:23 AM »
I so wish I had the money (and space) for Joes.  I always look at them.  If it weren't for the hideous joints on some of the girls I probably would.  It seems like they fixed them a little on Bombshell, though.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2004, 07:35 AM »

I'd like to see them get to my next favorite Joes, Wet Suit and Beach Head. I think a new Flint and Hit and Run are good candidates too, not to mention Lady Jaye and Tomax and Xamot.

I'd love to see first appearances of all of these guys....but I would really like to see Wet Suit and Torpedo in their infiltration gear from that Special Missions issue about Cobra Island.

Here's a question that probably needs to be in the Star Wars area but, what about comic 3 packs from the old Marvel Star Wars comics...

The comic packs are what sucked me back into Joe.  I've since gotten my old Joe Collection out of storage and have updated it with everything since 1997 that I could find or what interested.  I like the new plastic because THUMBS now don't break , but sometimesit seems the colors are off because of it.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2004, 12:20 PM »
Some of that TRU-exclusive stuff from 1997-98 is pretty pricey. I've been trying to locate the Trubble Bubble and Viper set from back then and not only is it hard to find them, they're about $30 when they do show up.

I'm kind of wishing Hasbro would go balls-out and rerelease most of the RAH figure and vehicle molds they have left. Just a little subset line ala the comic packs.
I'm getting tired of hunting on ebay for other people's used toys, myself. I realize they'd never do the Flagg, Terror Drome, or Defiant, but stuff like HISS Is, FANG Is, and Trubble Bubbles (see a pattern?) would probably sell.

I kind of wish I'd have picked up that MCC when it was here. I remember a friend of mine had that back in the day. It wasn't anything really cool like the Defiant, but it was still damn big. And that's pretty cool when you're nine years old. ;D

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2005, 10:53 PM »
Holy ****.

I wonder if the credit union would extend my car loan to $21,000.

It has to be overpriced by at least $10,000, even if it is all graded.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2005, 11:57 PM »
I'd have to hire somebody just to help me open all of those....and if I spent that kind of scratch on them, I wouldn't be able to get the best of help.

It is not actually a "Complete" collection though.  It doesn't seem to have all the original series 1 guys WITH swivel arm, just Scarlet, Grunt and the Cobras...so I'll have to pass......darn shame too.

I don't know anything about afa grading, but I assume they don't do it for free.....

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2005, 03:06 AM »
That AFA grading tends to send auction prices into the stratosphere.

Who here remembers that auction with the seven-times-repacked OTC Han Solo? It went for $800, give or take.

It would be nice to get this collection, but I wouldn't touch anything that's been through AFA's hands, because I can't afford it.

I'd like to have this collection, because I really don't care about the 82 Joes all that much. I more prefer guys like Beach Head, Wet Suit, Alpine, and Low Light-- guys that had really cool costumes rather than army fatigues. Of course, I got into Joe in 1985-86, and it was pretty supernatural then, what with Cobra-La and Serpentor.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2005, 05:37 PM »
I have no use for carded figures from any era (Vintage/Modern etc) so AFA is more of an annoyance.   I would assume that even if they graded one LOW it would still cost more than if it weren't.

I am wondering about the new 6 packs announced/rumored so far this year...

Crimson Guard with Tomax
Crimson Guard with Xamot
Green Shirts 6 pack
Gi Joe Winter Uniforms
and the most odd of all Imperial Pro 6 pack....

Anybody got any ideas or scoop?

Hopefully they will all be based on the RAH sculpts. but that is just me.

I picked up my Oktober Guard 3 packs and couldn't be more pleased. (well I am a collector so I could ALWAYS be more pleased) I really like the way they came out.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2005, 07:06 PM »
I have yet to pick up set #7. I saw the other two, #6 and 8, so I got those.

Dig this- Storm Shadow unmasked mail-in

The drawing would indicate it's a VvV style figure, though I'm secretly hoping it'll be an RAH-style figure, since they're rolling out the 1984 mold for that comic pack mosnab showed us.