Author Topic: Welcome to the Jungle Gn'R Fan Club  (Read 130100 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Welcome to the Jungle Gn'R Fan Club
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2004, 11:03 PM »
Yeah 10 minutes,

Yeah.

I was on a pretty weird kick then,

Yeah.

I then realized the impersonating a Rock Star bit was already done

Yeah.

and done sorta poorly,

Yeah.

. . .

What?!?!

no need to have it done twice ::)

Yeah.

Hey, for this thread, I thought I'd add that big ol' Axl Rant from the 1992 Oklahoma bootleg that I love so much, that I typed up and used in a Rebelscum thread last year.

So, I've been searching for it over there, and of course, it's nowhere to be found, so I guess someone "moved" it or something.

I was recently listening to a bootleg audio cassette I had of the 1992 Paris pay-per-view show--Axl goes on this crazy, crazy spiel about Warren Beatty, from totally out of nowhere.

'Course, most of it, shouldn't really be typed-up here, especially with all of the seven- and eight-year olds we have running around here as of late, but man, what a mentally disturbed interesting individual, that Axl. . .

Parasitic needs. . .
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 11:07 PM by Billy Corgan »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2004, 11:10 PM »
Somehow there was a connection of Warren Beatty and Stephanie Seymour if I remember right, speaking of which...

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2004, 12:48 PM »
Hey.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

GNR's 'Hits' Coming Before New Album

While work continues on Guns N' Roses' endlessly delayed album "Chinese Democracy," Geffen has set a March 23 release date for "Greatest Hits," compiling 14 of the hard rock act's best-known tracks. The album boasts such favorites as "Welcome to the Jungle," "Sweet Child O' Mine," "Patience," "Paradise City" and a cover of the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil" from the "Interview With a Vampire" soundtrack.

This is the third archival Guns N' Roses release since last fall, when Geffen issued DVDs of the home videos "Welcome to the Videos" and the two-volume "Use Your Illusion."

However, according to sources, the band did not give its consent for "Greatest Hits" to move forward and may pursue legal action to block its release.

As previously reported, the Axl Rose-led group will return to the live stage May 30 at the Rock in Rio-Lisbon festival in Lisbon, Portugal. It will be GNR's first live appearance since a disastrous 2002 comeback tour, which was canceled with 13 dates remaining.

As for "Chinese Democracy," it is unknown when the album will be released. Bassist Tommy Stinson told Billboard.com last year that finishing touches were being applied to the set before it would be sent off for mixing.

Here is the track list for "Greatest Hits":

"Welcome to the Jungle"
"Sweet Child O' Mine"
"Patience"
"Paradise City"
"Knockin' on Heaven's Door"
"Civil War"
"You Could Be Mine"
"Don't Cry"
"November Rain"
"Live and Let Die"
"Yesterdays"
"Ain't It Fun"
"Since I Don't Have You"
"Sympathy for the Devil"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a load of crap.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2004, 04:16 PM »
Billy, I burned a copy of the copy you burned for me for my buddy and he sends along much gratitude and thanks for one of the best concerts he has ever heard.  I agree with him, that show is pure magic...the whole Axl rant is perfection

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2004, 06:51 PM »
Billy, I burned a copy of the copy you burned for me for my buddy and he sends along much gratitude and thanks for one of the best concerts he has ever heard.  I agree with him, that show is pure magic...the whole Axl rant is perfection

Yeah, if it sounds good today, just imagine being a 16-year old kid, at the first concert you ever attended, when G N' R was still "The Biggest Band in the World", and your favorite band for the past four years.

What a show it was.

And actually--I think that audio bootleg was actually taken from a video bootleg of the show, which was taken from the video feed for the big screens for the audience to look at.  (What a terribly-constructed sentence that was, but I had no idea how else to put it.)

Anyway, there are DVD bootlegs of that show that pop up on Ebay from time to time, for around $10-20 or so--I just haven't really bothered to pick one up yet (don't do too much Ebay business). . .

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2004, 03:24 PM »
So I got those UYI 1992 DVDs the other day, and (kinda) watched (most of) them--probably the first time I've really watched them in around ten years or so.  And I tell you--it was disappointing.  Not talking about the DVDs themselves (although they are half-assed, and do suck)--but I'm talking about the whole performance.

I don't know if I just did notice it back then, and didn't care, because I loved them so much, or just didn't notice at all, because I was a moron, but man, that was some goofy stuff.  What it made me start thinking about was that I didn't even really see Guns N' Roses twice in 1992--I saw the bastardized, bloated, corporate sell-out version of the lean and mean late eighties G N' R.  

Here's what I've got problems with:

• Axl's ridiculous, diva-esque costume changes
  • The contant running around the entire length of the stage by Axl, resulting in some piss-poor, out-of-breath vocals
  • Gilby Clarke (nice guy, sure--decent rhythm guitarist, yes--but nowhere near the cool factor of Izzy)
  • Tracy & Roberta
  • The 976-(w)HOR(e)NS Section
  • Teddy "Zig-Zag, Big Bag" Andreadis on the harmonica
  • Teleprompters to "help" Axl with the lyrics
  • On the keyboards, Mr. Dizzy "I'm just a big, pasty, dough-boy lame-ass" Reed
  • Axl's silly little naughty gestures and facial expressions
  • (Nothing against Matt Sorum, but. . .)The drum solo
Trying to think of what else. . .

Oh yeah.

• "Bad Obsession"
  • The "reggae" part of "Knockin'. . ."
  • The "GUNS" "N" "ROSES" flashing sign at the end--come on.  If you have to get a sign flashing the name of your band to get the fans to cheer for an encore, then you're not doing something right during the regular show. . .
I'm done for now.

Although, to balance it out, here's a list of things that were always cool about GN'R:

• Slash
  • Duff
I've changed.  The music is still fine, but man, my attitude towards that show has done a complete reversal in the decade or so since I've seen it last. . .
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 03:26 PM by Billy Corgan »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2004, 03:31 PM »
And I meant to add this--but seeing those DVDs really made me wish that someone would release the "Live at the Ritz" show from MTV--from New York in '88, right when they were getting huge.

It'll never happen, but from what I remember, that show kicked ass.  All Appetite--no silly horns, backup singers, teleprompters, keyboards, or costume changes.  Izzy and Steven, all that.

If someone could release that show (or some other, pre-1990 show, like the shows that they opened for the Stones in L.A. in '89), that would be dee-lish.

And on another note:

Scott, if I find out that you (or anyone else here) bought the new Greatest Hits CD after it comes out--I will track you down, and beat the hell out of you.

Fair warning.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 03:32 PM by Billy Corgan »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2004, 03:46 PM »
Flibity Floo

Those shows are not the greatest, I think Axl is hoarse in a lot of songs and a lot of the stuff you point out Matt is spot on...

No worries on the Greatest Hits...I'll be saving my $12 for when Chinese Democracy comes out

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2004, 04:07 PM »
No worries on the Greatest Hits...I'll be saving my $12 for when Chinese Democracy comes out

Heh.

Tell you what--tomorrow, go down to your bank, and open up a special savings account, 'specially for Chinese Democracy.  Put the twelve bucks in, and by the time that record finally comes out, you will have earned hundreds thousands tens of thousands of dollars on interest on it. . .

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #54 on: March 2, 2004, 01:02 PM »
Coverart and official site :-* :-*

http://www.hyperlaunch.com/gnr/

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #55 on: March 2, 2004, 01:08 PM »
Coverart and official site :-* :-*

http://www.hyperlaunch.com/gnr/

Oh, man, thanks to your vague-ness, I was thinking this was actually for Chinese Democracy before I got to the site.

I like the cover, though, for the Greatest Hits--although not having that outer circle of the logo in that yellow looks a little strange.

Funny thing about the GH disc--I'm pissed that they aren't including a bonus CD or DVD or something, with maybe some rare tracks or footage, but at the same time, I'm also glad that they're not including anything extra, so I don't have to buy it. . .

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #56 on: March 4, 2004, 01:51 PM »
How much unreleased stuff you think there is...seems like they exhausted the vault to get the UYI stuff done

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 4, 2004, 02:00 PM »
Scott, besides unreleased studio songs (which sometimes showed up at live shows) and cover songs, I would say at least a full albums worth. I know I have 5-6 unreleased songs floating around on tape somewhere.  Here are unreleased songs that I know exist in good quality if you can find them.

Crash Diet - rejected from Use Your Illusion
Bring It Back Home - rejected from Use Your Illusion
Ain't Goin' Down - rejected from Use Your Illusion
Sentimental Movie - rejected from Use Your Illusion
Just Another Sunday - rejected from Use Your Illusion

Down On The Streets - rejected from Spaghetti Incident
Waiting For My Ruca - rejected from Spaghetti Incident

Their are some unreleased "Appetite" songs as well.  As far as the "Live at Ritz" show, it can be tracked down.  I had a copy on vinyl back in '89 (not all the songs were included) and have seen it several times on bootleg but have been hesitant to purchase due to sound quality issues.  

« Last Edit: March 4, 2004, 02:18 PM by rebeltrader »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #58 on: March 5, 2004, 10:22 AM »
Crash Diet - rejected from Use Your Illusion
Bring It Back Home - rejected from Use Your Illusion
Ain't Goin' Down - rejected from Use Your Illusion
Sentimental Movie - rejected from Use Your Illusion
Just Another Sunday - rejected from Use Your Illusion

Yeah, and anyone who's heard those songs will agree that they're best left "unreleased".  I mean--if they didn't make the cut on a thirty-track record to begin with. . .

There's other stuff they could release, too--tracks like "Shadow of Your Love", the original demo of "Don't Cry", and some of the live UYI tracks which were released as b-sides back in the day.

As far as the "Live at Ritz" show, it can be tracked down.  I had a copy on vinyl back in '89 (not all the songs were included) and have seen it several times on bootleg but have been hesitant to purchase due to sound quality issues.

Bootleg DVD?

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 5, 2004, 10:51 AM »
The DVD version of "Ritz" can be easily tracked down on Ebay for those interested at around $20.  

What I have been trying to locate is some of the early demo stuff with Tracii Guns on guitar.  Anyone get a chance to hear any of it?  I heard one song years back but the quality sucked.