Author Topic: Welcome to the Jungle Gn'R Fan Club  (Read 130104 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Welcome to the Jungle Gn'R Fan Club
« Reply #90 on: April 2, 2004, 01:37 AM »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2004, 01:11 AM »
Immortilize William in your SW dioramas...

http://www.kidrobot.com/shop.php?Category=Western%20Vinyl

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2004, 01:52 AM »
From the pages of this month's "Blender". . .

Broken Axl
Hard rock's most complicated tale gets badly chopped

Guns N' Roses
Greatest Hits  (two out of five stars)
Geffen

He may be less than toned these days, but W. Axl Rose can still execute a vice grip on controversy, no matter how innocuous the reason.  Not the minor furor over this set: Rose threatened a lawsuit to block it, getting fans excited that he might actually be planning to release the new album he's been sitting on for a decade.  Save the lawyer's fee and stop playing with our minds, dude.  Though Greatest Hits offers nothing to enhance GN'R's legacy, it's harmless, Cliff's Notes to a rock & roll legend.

The story this collection abbreviates is truly Shakespearean, which is clear only after listening to the band's full catalog, starting with the early hard-rock blitzkrieg, moving through the mid-career experiments and on to the increasingly desperate live releases, covers, and outtakes marking Rose's descent into a labyrinth of narcissism and writer's block.

Swallowed whole, GN'R's music animates a mythic battle between violence and beauty, ambition and despair, Vegas cheese and dirty-ass rock & roll -- a riveting story that beats out everybody who's hot today (except the hobbits) for blood, guts, and genuine tragedy.

Chopped up here, the tale is reduced to an assertion: GN'R made the late century's best American music outside of hip-hop (Nirvana, get in the ring).  Nine singles prove it.  "Welcome to the Jungle," from their 1987 world-turner, Appetite for Destruction, is a John Woo action movie.  "November Rain" is Elvis-size in its gorgeous corn.  Even casual forays like "Patience" and the uber-sexy "Sweet Child o' Mine" hold deep meaning beneath the spandex flash.

But we already know that, because these chart-toppers are still in heavy rotation on the radio.  Greatest Hits offers virtually no album cuts or rarities, filling space that could have held vital music such as "Coma" or "The Garden" with fun but dumb covers (five of the 14 songs).  It's generic, meant to rope in the teenage newbies and service the gym bags of fans who can't afford iPods.  Functional, yes, but like those little yellow student's helpers, this best-of is ultimately a cheat.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

smileyfaceguy

« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2004, 09:50 AM »
On the other side of the coin, I was in the car flipping channels when I came on the middle of a solo that had a familiar fat, dirty, crunchy sound of double humbuckers through a Marshall stack.  The solo had the sound of a guy playing "by feel" and he was he was all over the wah.  It was a truly cool moment because there was no doubt in my mind that it was Slash.  I kind of got a feeling I haven't had since 1992, and I knew I'd either stumbled onto a previously unknown-to-me (unlikely) vintage bootleg or unreleased track, or this was a Velvet Underground song -- that's how much this sounded like the old GNR (unlike Snakepit).  When the vocals came in after the solo, I kind of recognized the voice (never was into STP), but wasn't sure, so I waited for the end of the song and got the confirmation I wanted.  I will definitely be picking this record up.  First time I've been looking forward to a record release in probably 10 years.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #94 on: May 7, 2004, 11:30 AM »
Just heard the first single myself "Slither" pretty good stuff.  I'll definitely be picking up the CD, I liked early STP and this song does remind me of that heavily.  

Saw a picture of Duff...holy crap does he look OLD

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2004, 01:57 AM »
So I was going through some of the upcoming releases at Pause and Play, and there's a listing for a release by Hollywood Rose on June 22, which I thought was fairly interesting:

According to Navarre.com and Amazon.com, Cleopatra Records has set a June 1 release date for "The Roots Of Guns N' Roses", a collection of the very first demos recorded by Axl Rose and Izzy Stradlin before they became Guns N' Roses.

The album features five demo recordings that haven’t been heard in decades, plus new remixes by former GN'R member Gilby Clarke. These rare tracks showcase the raw talent of Axl and Izzy that was just beginning to blossom into GN'R.

The story of Guns N' Roses began when L.A. Guns founder Tracii Guns introduced guitarist Chris Weber to Izzy Stradlin in the parking lot of the Rainbow Bar And Grill. After jamming together at Izzy's place, the two decided to form a band and recruited a vocalist, Bill Bailey, better known to most as Axl Rose. Together, they drew inspiration from the diverse musical scene emerging in Hollywood and, with the help of drummer Johnny Kreis, recorded a demo under the name Hollywood Rose.

For years these demos have remained in the vault, never appearing on CD. Now, Cleopatra Records is bringing these raw recordings to the masses. As a special bonus, Gilby Clarke took these recordings back to the studio and polished up the rough edges.

"The Roots Of Guns N' Roses" track listing:

Original Demo Versions:

01. Killing Time
02. Anything Goes
03. Rocker
04. Shadow Of Your Love
05. Wreckless Life

Newly Remixed By Gilby Clarke:

06. Killing Time
07. Anything Goes
08. Rocker
09. Shadow Of Your Love (feat. Tracii Guns - overdub guitar)
10. Wreckless Life (feat. Tracii Guns - overdub guitar)

Newly Remixed By Fred Coury:

11. Killing Time
12. Anything Goes
13. Rocker
14. Shadow Of Your Love
15. Wreckless Life

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/gnr_demo_cd.html

========================================

(And this is just further proof that Axl still sucks. . .)  :)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2004, 10:19 AM »
That sounds pretty cool actually, Anything Goes, Shadow of Your Love and Wreckless Life were all Gn"R tracks correct?  But why is Gilby involved on this...that's weird.  I smell Lawsuit again

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2004, 11:01 AM »
Take a moment to think about this.  In the past 10 years Axl has attempted a comeback with a new album, band members  and tour.  All have failed miserably and we still dont have a new album which will be outdated by the time of its release.  

Slash and Duff throw together Velvet Revolver, an album and a tour in little over a year.  

Do the math.  Axl you suck!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2004, 11:08 AM »
Velvet Revolver is playing a small club here this weekend.  Tickets are sold out but it would be something I think I would like to check out.  Looks like tickets are around $40 a piece on eBay

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2004, 11:22 AM »
But why is Gilby involved on this...that's weird.

Well, because out of all the guys, Gilby is the most unemployed and least insane--he's the only choice.

Here's the cover for the Velvet Revolver album, due out June 8th:

I trust that everyone will be going out to their record stores a month from now to pick this thing up--and if you caved and bought the GN'R Greatest Hits package, then you have to buy two Velvet Revolver records to make up for it. . .

Tell your friends.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2004, 12:54 PM »
I don't know where this comes from, as I read it on another forum, and there wasn't a link provided, but it's good for a laugh, anyway:

==========================

Former GUNS N' ROSES star MATT SORUM is laughing at former bandmate AXL ROSE's efforts to release new album CHINESE DEMOCRACY - because he thinks the project will be awful.

Rose has been promising the new album for years, but drummer Sorum urges rock fans not to expect a classic if the project ever hits record stores.

Sorum, who has formed hot new group VELVET REVOLVER with his ex-bandmates DUFF McKAGAN and SLASH, says, "We put this band together and started an album two weeks later. It's not f***ing brain surgery.

"It's verse, chorus, guitar solo, verse, chorus, and you're done.

"I don't know what he's f***ing doing over there but I hope it's a 72-piece classically composed masterpiece."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2004, 01:38 PM »
I've started to think in the past few days that perhaps Axl was not the sole writer/music for a lot of the stuff he was taking credit for.  Maybe Izzy helped him more then we think

Matt's right on though

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2004, 02:24 PM »
I've started to think in the past few days that perhaps Axl was not the sole writer/music for a lot of the stuff he was taking credit for.  Maybe Izzy helped him more then we think

Matt's right on though

C'mon, baby--you know that Izzy was the brains behind the entire operation.  Just look at their output since he left in late '91--only one original "Guns N' Roses" song--"Oh My God"--which was dreadfully awful anyway.

Yeah, it was Axl and Slash that really kind of got all the spotlight--but I tend to think that without Izzy, Axl would still be homeless on the streets of L.A., and who knows what Slash would be doing.

Just a shame that Izzy couldn't do all that much with his solo career.

Like it was mentioned earlier--they were definitely a band whose whole was greater than the sum of the parts.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2004, 02:49 PM »
Yeah I know that but what I was talking about was songs supposedly penned by Bill Bailey entirely...stuff like November Rain and Coma

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2004, 03:09 PM »
Yeah I know that but what I was talking about was songs supposedly penned by Bill Bailey entirely...stuff like November Rain and Coma

Yeah, I kind of figured that's more for what you were going for, but still, any time I get a chance to celebrate Izzy and slander Axl, I will.

And just out of curiousity, here's a listing of the Illusion songs where Axl has sole songwriting credit:

November Rain - great
Dead Horse - good
Shotgun Blues - eh
Breakdown - good
Estranged - great (but moreso for Slash than anything else)
My World - crap

("Coma" is credited as "Slash/Rose")

Izzy's:

You Ain't the First - eh
Double Talkin' Jive - good
Pretty Tied Up - eh (never a fan)

(Oh my--I've contradicted myself, haven't I?)   :-\

Stradlin'/Rose:

Right Next Door to Hell - eh (Stradlin'/Caltia/Rose)
Don't Cry - good
Perfect Crime - good (Stradlin'/Slash/Rose)
Bad Apples - eh (Slash/McKagan/Stradlin'/Rose)
14 Years - good
You Could Be Mine - good
Don't Cry (Alt. Lyrics) - good

Well--this doesn't prove my point much, I guess, but I still contend that had Izzy stayed with the band, we would have least gotten a new album three or four years after Illusion came out.

This whole point is moot, anyway.

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall during the writing and recording of Appetite, though.

Maybe Steven Adler was the one responsible for the genius of that record.

8)