Author Topic: Welcome to the Jungle Gn'R Fan Club  (Read 130441 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the Jungle Gn'R Fan Club
« Reply #480 on: April 8, 2008, 11:48 AM »
Oh I am sure most all of these members are very difficult to get along with.  For one thing they are all druggies for the most part.  None of them has ever truly grown up.  To top it off they are insanely rich and could do whatever they darn well please.  It's all a recipe for bad.  But hey, they can all play rock music quite well.  So yay!

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #481 on: April 8, 2008, 12:52 PM »
(Are we calling The Revolvers?)

(are we calling them The Revolvers?)

(are we no longer calling them The Revolvers?)

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 4, 2008, 11:28 AM »
I'm reading Slash's book now. 

A very interesting read for a die-hard Slash/GNR fan.  I've read the first 6+ chapters which talk about his childhood and teenage years, including how he began playing guitar.  Surprisingly simply. 

I've begun to read about how the original 5 GNR members came together to write and record the AfD album.  I still have about 70%+ of the book left, which means Slash will discuss in length about what happened within GNR over the years.  Looking forward to that part.

So far, I would highly recommend the book for any Slash or GNR fans.  From what I read, it is the best book about GNR outside of Marc's book about the creation of Appetite.

On a sidenote, I've purchased my first Les Paul guitar.  8)
« Last Edit: June 4, 2008, 11:29 AM by S_A_Longhorn »
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #483 on: June 18, 2008, 08:27 PM »
Did anyone get the new leaked tracks before they were taken down?
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 18, 2008, 10:55 PM »

Slash can write? I didn't even know he could read.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 19, 2008, 09:50 AM »

Slash can write? I didn't even know he could read.

That's the ongoing joke.  But the book is written in 'simple' terms, but it seems genuine Slash.  He did have a co-author, who probably directed the story, etc.  Of course, as much as he describes the various states of drunkeness & drug addictions, I question how much he actually remembers back then.

Short story about his guitar parts in AfD: Slash had three crappy guitars as GNR began recording AfD.  He sold his equipment to feed his drug habit.  GNR's manager actually bought a California custom built Les Paul replica guitar that we all now know as his famous Les Paul.  He also rented various amps while re-recording his guitar parts on AfD.  After trying several amps, he finally found a tweaked amp that sounded perfect.  He recorded the songs, and planned to keep the amp by giving the rental company a lame excuse.  However, unbeknownst to Slash, his guitar tech returned the amp.  Slash tried to get it back, but never did.  He has tried to replicate that sound, but has never been able to ever since.

The one thing that is plainly obvious is that the band that GNR was in 86-87 made for a perfect album in AfD.  No other version of GNR could ever replicate that.  THe band was a gang, living day to day, and living with a serious drinking & drug habit.  Even if all 5 members got together today, they could never replicate that sound.  Their lives are forver changed b/c of that album, and as a result, will never create anything like that again.

-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 19, 2008, 09:51 AM »

Were they leaked again???

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #487 on: June 19, 2008, 10:02 AM »

Were they leaked again???

These are supposedly the final versions, mastered and different from the last leak.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #488 on: June 19, 2008, 03:11 PM »
They'd better release the album before everybody already has a copy...
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 19, 2008, 03:35 PM »
Free Dr. Pepper!

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 24, 2008, 10:50 AM »
I was able to get the nine tracks from YouTube videos (songs with a GNR pic) & put the songs on my iPod.

Six of the tracks have been released before, in one form or another:

Better:  This songs sounds the same from the last leaks.  I've always liked this rocking tune, especially the guitar parts.  The final leak sounds more polished and balanced in sound. 

The Blues:  I really liked the previous leak of this song, but this 'final' version is a bit a different.  Axl's piano carries the first minute of the song compared to the old version with the band coming in about 10 seconds into the song.  The esscence of the song is still there, but a different arrangement. 

Chinese Democracy:  I'd only heard a live track of this song, so I was happy to hear this song polished and 'completed'.  The first 60 seconds of sounds are unnecssary, but the guitar riffs are killer.  This is the GNR rocking song most will like.

I.R.S.:  Another tweak in the arrangement since the last leak.  It seems the guitar riff running thru the other leak was toned down in the 'final' version if not removed completely.  Disappointing, I prefer the older version but I still the song.  Sounds like the most radio friendly song.   However, there is a sweet solo after the second chorus.

Madagascar:  Another song I'd heard but only had live versions of.  I've liked this song ever since it was played at the MTV awards.  It's nice to heard 'final' version although Axl voice sound weaker here than any other song.

There Was A Time:  This was the one song that I've always remembered ever since the first leaks.  It hasn't changed much since the last leaks, but of course sounds better now.  Love the melody and lyrics of this song.

And the three "new" leaks:

Rhiad and The Bedouins:  Another song I had only heard live.  The final version is another great rocking tune for the purist GNR fans.  Great guitars and drums, while Axl vocals are a little scratchy for a 'completed' song.  The song will stick in your head tho.

Untitled #2 song (possibly 'Message For You'):  No definite word on the name of this song, but it has been reported it is not "This Is Love" or "Sorry".  Sounds like a very personal song for Axl.  Another good song, sort of like a junior version of November Rain and Estranged.  Another slower paced song tho.  The song comes together very well.

If The World (new song):  A catchy melody for sure, and a very interesting song.  This song is very different from the other songs released/leaked so far, from the spanish guitar to the R&B beat.  This song is believed to be inspired by Buckethead's style which really makes for a unique song.  Axl sounds in rare form here.  Great guitar work.

I also got a great version of 'Silkworms' from YouTube but this wasn't reported as one of the songs leaked last week.  I wonder how many songs are on the final list for the album supposedly completed.  Dizzy had said that 'Rhiad' wasn't going to be on the album.  Baz's song with GNR, 'Sorry', has yet to be heard nor has the supposed-epic "This Is Love".  Still, the varying styles of music released so far has gotten my attention, and no one else sounds like Axl.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 11:29 AM by S_A_Longhorn »

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 26, 2008, 11:31 AM »
Well, Axl did sing say he would "get the FBI"

Guns N' Roses Call In FBI to Find Blogger

No evidence that it was AXL or NuGNR, but the media runs with it.  MOst likely it was Geffen/Universal as the final album is reportedly in their possession now.

I'm enjoying the leaks.  I got them from YouTube!  Leave me alone, Axl!!!!   :o

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #492 on: July 3, 2008, 02:18 PM »
I thought I had asked this already but I sure wish I could get my hands on the tracks somewhere

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 3, 2008, 02:20 PM »
I sure wish the same thing.

**** you, Axl, and your delicious brand of inaccessible rock and roll, too.

"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #494 on: July 3, 2008, 02:25 PM »
I sure wish the same thing.

**** you, Axl, and your delicious brand of inaccessible rock and roll, too.

Just remember that I asked first >:(