Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 162059 times)

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #330 on: February 23, 2006, 06:02 PM »
crap... its all drizzly here.  prepare for a price hike.   i paid $2.06 here i palatial suburban denton today.  that was the least in a while.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 23, 2006, 10:43 PM »
There's nothing about that on any of the wires that I could find with a quick search. And even if that were true - 20 people being held hostage causing a price spike would be just as big a pile of B.S. as all the previous reasons given for price spikes.

Here you go Rob.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 10:43 PM by Chris M »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 23, 2006, 11:00 PM »
Yeah, I found it now - most of the articles on google news are from the 18th.

Hopefully it all ends well for the hostages.  It's still a garbage excuse if they start saying prices are going to spike becaues of this. 

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 24, 2006, 06:18 AM »
The sad thing is, we as people will pay whatever the three big companies want for gas.  We "need" it for our cars, and they know that.

But with so many petroleum based products in the world, you'd think it would be possible for the price to stay low...it's early and I know I'm rambling now.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 24, 2006, 10:10 AM »
The sad thing is, we as people will pay whatever the three big companies want for gas.  We "need" it for our cars, and they know that.

But with so many petroleum based products in the world, you'd think it would be possible for the price to stay low...it's early and I know I'm rambling now.

True, but fortunately for my wife & I, we only fill up twice a month each.  Our jobs are only 3 miles from home, and everything else is nearby.  I have to take our cars in for oil changes every 6 months b/c we never make the 3,000 miles in less than that.     :)

I switched jobs last May.  used to drive over 25 miles roundtrip for work.  Cut that down to 6 miles roundtrip. 

If only everybody could make this switch... :-\
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 24, 2006, 10:23 AM »
My girlfriend and I cut down to one car last April.  It's a 5 minute walk for me to get to work, and it was a 10 minute walk for her before she went back to school - but even that is only a 3 mile drive.

I've always been under the impression that it was 3,000 miles OR 3 months - which ever came first because oil breaks down and isn't as protective after 3 months...

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 24, 2006, 12:03 PM »
RE:  oil changes - it all depends on how you drive.

Most cars can go 7500 miles before requiring an oil change - but if you do a lot of city driving, you may want to stay closer to the 3-4K range.

I think the whole 3 month or 3K mile theory is just an attempt from the franchise oil 'changing' companies to get you in more than 2X a year.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 24, 2006, 02:36 PM »
Unfortunately my husband has to drive about 40 miles each way to work.  We recently bought a '95 Civic for him to commute in.  The F150 Crew Cab was eating through way too much gas.  I use the Civic if I have to run any errands in the evenings or weekends.  I drive my son to preschool everyday and try to combine my errands with that.  Gas at BJ's Warehouse is $2.15 -- $2.22 every where else.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 24, 2006, 02:52 PM »
RE:  oil changes - it all depends on how you drive.

Most cars can go 7500 miles before requiring an oil change - but if you do a lot of city driving, you may want to stay closer to the 3-4K range.

I think the whole 3 month or 3K mile theory is just an attempt from the franchise oil 'changing' companies to get you in more than 2X a year.

What if it takes me more than 6 months to drive 3-4K miles???  Should I change the oil every 6 months minimum??

My driving condition is easy, I think.  Lot of traffic lights to work, but I get there in less than 10 miuntes, only 3+ miles.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 02:52 PM by S_A_Longhorn »
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 24, 2006, 03:12 PM »
What gets the engine and the need for oil is the stopping at lights.  Your engine slows down and then has to speed back up when you accelerate again.  Doing that can wear down the oil itself. 

Just my opinion, but I'd change every 4 months if I were you, even if you aren't hitting the 3-4k mark.

Embrace the suck.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 11, 2006, 02:22 PM »
Filled up for $2.759 at BJ's "discount" gas station today.  It was the cheapest around.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 11, 2006, 02:24 PM »
Prices are around $2.70-$2.80 in Northern Va these days.

:P

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 11, 2006, 02:30 PM »
Ouch! ours is 2.79-2.89 ish right now.

We own/have right to sooo much untapped oil. One day the world will run out..and all the money that we fed the overseas oil folks will come right back to us as they scramble to fund our drilling/refining that will by then be opened up due to environmentalists wanting to drive places and making a choice between oil refining and a traveling lifestyle(they gotta give in eventually). ::)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 11, 2006, 02:56 PM »
This is ridiculous.

It's only April and we're so very close to $3.00 a gallon...something has got to give.

I think the states should lower their tax rates on gas until we get a viable solution implemented.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 11, 2006, 03:13 PM »
But...when you're running out of world oil, and the environmentalist are against building more refineries(an excuse the oil folks use why our gas costs ridiculous since we have limited country-wide refining) what solutions are there? Alternate fuel source and MASS production of vehicles that use it would kill the economy. I guess we just have to hate it.

I hate when the opposite viewpoint folks say "well, you pay 3$ a gallon for milk..so, what's the big deal?"  I'll tell you... I don't need to buy 62-86 gallons of milk a month! >:(